Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,496,311 times

Advertisements

but hey. it's true. lol.

currently reside in southern pines, north carolina. it would be a family of 6 - myself, my girlfriend, and 4 kids (1 year, 3, 5 and 6). i am white and they are all black - is this "acceptable" in knoxville or will we get funny looks? what are the best elementary and middle schools in the area? is maryville or another suburb a better choice? we obviously arent looking for something expensive, our preferences are a 3 bedroom HOUSE or mobile home for $850 or less. i see plenty of options on craigslist for this, but would like to know where the high crime areas are? our current monthly income is roughly $2500. In 1 year, that will be drastically reduced to roughly $1,400. keep in mind we have 6 mouths to feed, as well as utilities and daycare bills. thats another thing, daycares. any of them open 7 days a week?

we arent rich. in fact, we currently live in the projects. i am a driver at papa johns and she is a manager at burger king. i am 22 and she is 24. neither of us have college degrees, but i should have a business administration degree by may 2014. what are job situations like there? i realize BK isnt exactly a good job, but would it be easy with someone with current managerial experience (in fast food) to get a job in management in knoxville?

are there lots of buses in knoxville? currently we only have 1 tiny car, a freakin mitsubishi eclipse for 6 people. hopefully tax time will be able to afford us another car for her. as far as things to do for fun, we really enjoy the outdoors. mountains, hiking, once the kids are all old enough biking, festivals, window shopping, etc. as far as i remember, knoxville is in a mountainous area. on a typical drive from work to home or school to home or whatever, what is the scenery like? flat with fields and barns or is it very hilly with mountains in the background?

does it snow in knox?

i know this was long, but please take the time to respond. would be very helpful. we are planning to move mid-may to june of 2013. we do not have a place yet, but are going on a 2 day trip (without kids) to knox on feb 8th and 9th to scout out the area, talk to schools, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,128 times
Do you have jobs lined up? In this economy, I wouldn't move anywhere without a job, then decide where to live.
I doubt anyone will notice you are white and she is black in Knoxville. I cannot comment on the schools.
All the best to you both on your visit and on your move.
Pam

Old 02-01-2013, 04:02 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Like Pam&Bill said, do not move here without jobs. It would be a huge mistake.
While you could probably find a place to live within the $850/month, that likely won't include utilities. No offense, but how do you expect to survive when your income drops to $1400?

I'm interested in how you decided on Knoxville, especially since you didn't appear to have jobs here. This is not exactly the job mecca or even the lowest cost of living mecca. While I'm sure you can get a pizza delivery job, and she could get fast food work, I'm guessing that child care costs for 4 kids would be pretty high. I'm not sure at all if there are child care places that are open 7 days.

Good luck, but get jobs before you move.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 AM

9,467 posts, read 10,796,574 times
East Tennessees economy is likely not much different than it is over there in North Carolina. With the income you are claiming to have its not going to be easy to make it with that many people in your family. You would likely have to get the cheapest rent possible and that would get you in a high crime area. Like the previous posters have suggested, I would get a job before you move. Right now you have jobs, dont want to give that up untill at least one of you lands a job in Knoxville.
As far as things to do for recreation, there are lots of options here. Yes there are mountains in the knoxville area and they can be seen from different parts of the area. About a 30 minute drive from Knoxville will put you in the Smoky mountains NP. Hiking, rafting, fishing, hunting, skiing are all very easy to do here. Does it snow here?? yes sometimes, but im sure it does in North Carolina too, as you are at the same latitude that we are. We might get a bit more than you do because we have higher elevations here. Up in the mountains it snows alot more. East Tennessee is a great place to live IF you have a job. Good luck to you and Godbless

Old 02-02-2013, 05:21 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
our current monthly income is roughly $2500. In 1 year, that will be drastically reduced to roughly $1,400. keep in mind we have 6 mouths to feed, as well as utilities and daycare bills.
The problem isn't moving to Knoxville or anywhere else. Our economy is pretty good. Not the best but far from the worst. But I don't care where you move to, unless you are living in a house for free - and probably even then - living on $1,400 for six people is going to be tough to impossible. And I don't understand that figure. How do you know that is all that you will be making? Can't someone get a job to add to that amount?

Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The problem isn't moving to Knoxville or anywhere else. Our economy is pretty good. Not the best but far from the worst. But I don't care where you move to, unless you are living in a house for free - and probably even then - living on $1,400 for six people is going to be tough to impossible. And I don't understand that figure. How do you know that is all that you will be making? Can't someone get a job to add to that amount?
Well, it will be tough no doubt...but it's the cards we were dealt. And we live in a horrible place right now, and with the tax return coming up should be getting $13,000 between us...so we are trying to use it to move. her job would transfer as she's a manager, and i was a manager there too so i could probably at least find manager work at another store. i dont know for sure thats what we'll be making, i'm not taing into account the possibility that i might actually get a good job after that year, its while i'm getting my business degree. i think we can make it work on the $2400-2500 range.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Obviously, we don't know all the details, but a $13,000 refund on an income of $30,000 means that something is seriously out of whack.
All that aside, moving here without a job could be a big mistake.
While you are not happy where you live now, the grass is not always greener on the other side. There is also the issue of out of State tuition.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,294 times
I'm guessing the refund is from two lower incomes and each person claiming one or more children. Also, one claiming head of household.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 AM

not all of that is tax refund, some is an insurance check and some is money from going to school. that plus the tax returns from both of us equals to anywhere from 13-15,000 depending on the exact amounts.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,019 times
Hey LordHelmit, you have gotten lots of advice and sounds like your willing to work hard to make it happen. Knoxville does not have too many bad areas, if you stay away from the old downtown and Austin East area, along Magnolia. Color and blended families is not an issue and will not be a problem. Good luck and hope you find what your looking for and make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville