Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMopar View Post

I guess what I like about the east mall versus the west mall is it's never overly crowded. You aren't sitting at 18 different traffic lights and waiting 10 minutes at each one. Traffic flows well at the east area and it's mall. Target and Kohl's aren't in the mall but they are just down the street.
You, I and the locals may know this is extreme hyperbole but someone not familiar with the area might take it at face value so I guess I better respond.

Now, I live a few minutes from West Town Mall but not that long ago I lived in the middle of both malls. Well, it was slightly closer to the east one. However, I almost always went to the West Town mall due to the selection and the fact that it didn't seem so creepy and desolate. Why? Because even though the drive time might have been about five minutes more it was easy in and out. I had exactly two three lights to get to it - surrounding that mall - and two to leave. Getting to the East Town Mall afforded me three lights coming and one light leaving.

Unless it is the busy school shopping weekend or the couple of weekends before Christmas I don't consider it to be heavy traffic. The most I've waited at a light during normal circumstances was a couple of minutes.

I mean, good God, traffic in the tourist area of Sevier is far, far worse and a place you seem to visit far more than I do. I get that everyone has different priorities. Some people like shopping at Turkey Creek and West Town Mall. Some people like going to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Some like doing neither or both. But I want people from somewhere else to understand the realities of shopping in West Knoxville. I'd also like to add that even at rush hour in West Knoxville our traffic doesn't come close to rivaling a big city, including Nashville. Knoxville is what it is, a small city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You, I and the locals may know this is extreme hyperbole but someone not familiar with the area might take it at face value so I guess I better respond.

Now, I live a few minutes from West Town Mall but not that long ago I lived in the middle of both malls. Well, it was slightly closer to the east one. However, I almost always went to the West Town mall due to the selection and the fact that it didn't seem so creepy and desolate. Why? Because even though the drive time might have been about five minutes more it was easy in and out. I had exactly two three lights to get to it - surrounding that mall - and two to leave. Getting to the East Town Mall afforded me three lights coming and one light leaving.

Unless it is the busy school shopping weekend or the couple of weekends before Christmas I don't consider it to be heavy traffic. The most I've waited at a light during normal circumstances was a couple of minutes.

I mean, good God, traffic in the tourist area of Sevier is far, far worse and a place you seem to visit far more than I do. I get that everyone has different priorities. Some people like shopping at Turkey Creek and West Town Mall. Some people like going to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Some like doing neither or both. But I want people from somewhere else to understand the realities of shopping in West Knoxville. I'd also like to add that even at rush hour in West Knoxville our traffic doesn't come close to rivaling a big city, including Nashville. Knoxville is what it is, a small city.
To be perfectly fair if you don't know the roads and have to come in along Kingston Pike from the east for several miles like I did my first time through it seemed like a never ending 'stop at a bazillion lights' kind of trip that rivaled experiences I had on Long Island outside of NYC. It can very well seem like waiting forever at 18 lights because that is probably how many she has had to go through. Maybe MrsMopar just needs to find alternative ways around? Now that I have found more direct ways of getting there I find the traffic isn't really bad to get to West Town except for maybe prime shopping days. Your experience really depends on where you are coming from and how you go about getting to where you want to go.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
To be perfectly fair if you don't know the roads and have to come in along Kingston Pike from the east for several miles like I did my first time through it seemed like a never ending 'stop at a bazillion lights' kind of trip that rivaled experiences I had on Long Island outside of NYC. It can very well seem like waiting forever at 18 lights because that is probably how many she has had to go through. Maybe MrsMopar just needs to find alternative ways around? Now that I have found more direct ways of getting there I find the traffic isn't really bad to get to West Town except for maybe prime shopping days. Your experience really depends on where you are coming from and how you go about getting to where you want to go.
If you are coming from east of Knoxville you would want to take I-40. You get off at the West Hills exit. There are three quick lights. Basically, once you get off the exit, the West Town Mall is right there. I can't imagine why anyone coming from the east would not take the highway. Even coming from Alcoa or Chapman Highway, I'd hop on I-40. I suspect you've figured that out since then, but this is for folks that may not know.

https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=7...+TN+37919-5600

Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMopar View Post
We shop primarily at the East Mall, if we are looking for a mall type store. Never had an issue.

We almost (it was so close!) purchased a home on Buffat Mill Road. We just loved the area; it was similar to where we lived in Ohio. The closeness of the neighborhood was so nice; all the homes were well kept, we were close to eveything we wanted but the house had some issues we didn't want to deal with...so we went to Sevier County.

I highly recommend that area.

As far as shopping goes, it's not the biggest mall, but it's still nice. And since we are bargain hunters, how can you not love going to Ollie's, right next door?

I guess what I like about the east mall versus the west mall is it's never overly crowded. You aren't sitting at 18 different traffic lights and waiting 10 minutes at each one. Traffic flows well at the east area and it's mall. Target and Kohl's aren't in the mall but they are just down the street. All in all, I like that area. I've never felt unsafe there and trust me, I work near Cherry/Magnolia Street, so I know what bad is all about.

I travel to the west mall very rarely...I just cannot stand the traffic and how everything around there is so jammed up together. I live in a traffic area so trust me, I try to avoid it at all costs.

People in both malls are pleasant and polite; never had issues at either location. I just like east because it's closer to me and it's less crowded.

Best of luck on your decision!

The traffic in Sevier county is far far worse than the west town mall. Sitting in that Pigeon sForge/Gatlinburg traffic is enough to send someone to the looney bin. West town mall on Christmas eve is still better than Sevier county traffic during summer tourist season. I make sure when I go to Pigeon Forge I do it on off times, or I take the back way in.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 AM

213 posts, read 551,019 times
Kingston Pike traffic can be as bad as the traffic on the Parkway running through Sevierville/ Pigeon Forge, and at times other than Christmas. On Saturday January 26th I left North Knoxville to meet my family at Chuck E Cheese to celebrate my son’s birthday. Everything was fine until I got off on the West Hills Exit at which point I came from slow crawl to complete stop. I finally figured that I was better off getting in the left lane and took a left at the first light going east, took the next right and then right again on Kingston Pike heading west. I moved pretty well until I went through the light at Montvue, and then it was back to stop and crawl. To sum it all up, it took me 45 minutes to go from the start of the West Hills Exit to Chuck E Cheese a distance of a mile. And no that is not extreme hyperbole because I know how late I was to my Son’s birthday party.

As far as I know January 26th is not a big shopping day, there were no wreaks , stalled car, or road work. And if I had stayed on the exit ramp all the way to Kingston Pike, I probably would still be trying to get to that birthday party, (ok that was extreme hyperbole).

Old 02-13-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntim View Post
Kingston Pike traffic can be as bad as the traffic on the Parkway running through Sevierville/ Pigeon Forge, and at times other than Christmas. On Saturday January 26th I left North Knoxville to meet my family at Chuck E Cheese to celebrate my son’s birthday. Everything was fine until I got off on the West Hills Exit at which point I came from slow crawl to complete stop. I finally figured that I was better off getting in the left lane and took a left at the first light going east, took the next right and then right again on Kingston Pike heading west. I moved pretty well until I went through the light at Montvue, and then it was back to stop and crawl. To sum it all up, it took me 45 minutes to go from the start of the West Hills Exit to Chuck E Cheese a distance of a mile. And no that is not extreme hyperbole because I know how late I was to my Son’s birthday party.

As far as I know January 26th is not a big shopping day, there were no wreaks , stalled car, or road work. And if I had stayed on the exit ramp all the way to Kingston Pike, I probably would still be trying to get to that birthday party, (ok that was extreme hyperbole).
I bet if we check there was an accident. That's not normal. I live right behind the mall and drive on these roads constantly. That's never happened. Wasn't that the day that the roads were slippery? I'm sorry but I've never, ever had a problem with traffic on Kingston Pike and I owned a business on it. If anyone has lived in any area that gets real traffic and then moves here they know that traffic here is negligible. Yet, traffic around the tourist area in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg during peak times is legendary.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:49 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntim View Post

That has happened to me more than once, too. Well, not the Chuck E. Cheese part, but wanting to get off I-40 at the West Hills exit only to find the traffic backed up all the way back onto the interstate (this is coming from the east). And it's been at times when there was no reason for there to be a lot of traffic other than it's just a typical West Town weekend.

I used to live behind West Town Mall on Gleason, and believe me when I say that traffic around West Town Mall was horrible most of the time, especially the Kingston Pike side. (Gleason, on the other hand, is relatively traffic-free.) The new configuration of the West Hills I-40 exit is infinitely better than the old one, but it can still be maddening.

(Side note: if I have to go to West Town for any reason from U.T.--which is usually to go to see a foreign movie at Downtown West--I never ever ever take Kingston Pike beyond Sequoyah Hills. It's much easier and much more enjoyable to take Lyons View/Westland all the way to Morrell.)

And, to bring this back to the topic of this thread: East Town has pretty much zero traffic, certainly nothing compared to the mess around West Town. The state highway engineers configured the Millertown Pike/Washington Pike exit from I-640 specifically to get traffic in and out of East Town efficiently and quickly. I'm sure having a half-empty mall (well, 20% empty) probably helps.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 PM

170 posts, read 347,570 times
There are parts around East Town that are really really nice, yet there are parts that are pretty tough areas. It's a weird area for that reason. 4 years ago I was at Walmart on Christmas Eve and heard gunshots ring out. Don't know where they came from, just know it was close. One day at the same Walmart I came out and saw cops by my car. I thought oh lord...but it was the car beside me that had the window smashed and the CD player stolen in broad daylight. This past Christmas (a week before X mas) I was outside of JC Pennies at East Town with my son and we heard gunshots ring out up on the hill behind the mall.

Again, I've never had what I would call serious issues over there. In fact, I still go there. But it can be sketchy in that area, just a fair warning. Make sure to research the areas you are looking at. As I said, there are some lovely areas. But you will always be close to bad areas.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:42 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRollin View Post
There are parts around East Town that are really really nice, yet there are parts that are pretty tough areas. It's a weird area for that reason. 4 years ago I was at Walmart on Christmas Eve and heard gunshots ring out. Don't know where they came from, just know it was close. One day at the same Walmart I came out and saw cops by my car. I thought oh lord...but it was the car beside me that had the window smashed and the CD player stolen in broad daylight. This past Christmas (a week before X mas) I was outside of JC Pennies at East Town with my son and we heard gunshots ring out up on the hill behind the mall.

Again, I've never had what I would call serious issues over there. In fact, I still go there. But it can be sketchy in that area, just a fair warning. Make sure to research the areas you are looking at. As I said, there are some lovely areas. But you will always be close to bad areas.
I'll agree with you on sketchy areas, but gun shots? I lived there most of the past 5 years and never heard a gun shot. Never heard any gun shots while I was at Walmart or the mall. And there were times I was at Walmart at 2 a.m. sat outside waiting on a cab and never felt unsafe.

I guess I was just in the right place at the right time, or I never confused a car backfiring with a gun shot. I'm a small town country girl and Knoxville is the first city I've ever lived in. Sure there are areas where it makes me nervous to be in, but East Town has never been one of them.
Pam

Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 PM

170 posts, read 347,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I'll agree with you on sketchy areas, but gun shots? I lived there most of the past 5 years and never heard a gun shot. Never heard any gun shots while I was at Walmart or the mall. And there were times I was at Walmart at 2 a.m. sat outside waiting on a cab and never felt unsafe.

I guess I was just in the right place at the right time, or I never confused a car backfiring with a gun shot. I'm a small town country girl and Knoxville is the first city I've ever lived in. Sure there are areas where it makes me nervous to be in, but East Town has never been one of them.
Pam

I know gun shots when I hear them. And a car doesnt backfire multiple times (4-5) consecutively. I could have just slammed the entire area, but that wouldn't be an accurate description of the area as a whole. On the flip side, living there and not having issues doesn't mean I didn't hear gunshots, they were real. As I stated, I still go there. I don't know what else to say...other than I have better things to do than to make up a story that's not even slanted towards my benefit in any way. The person asked for important advice, and I think that's something I would wanna know before moving somewhere.

I've heard gunshots in 4 different areas in Knoxville dating back to 99'. Inskip, Mechanicsville, and twice by East Town. And I would live in all those places except Mechanicsville. So I'm not insulting the place, just keeping it real.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville