Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 01:04 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,658,831 times

Advertisements

This is a fun and free event. Books & Blooms Story Time, 10:30 a.m. Thursday October 25, 2007
Books & Blooms in the University Gardens is a family story time in the Gardens held on second and fourth Thursdays from September to November.
The fall programs include stories and nature craft projects. On October 25, our favorite book lady, Ms Dottie Stamper, will tell Halloween stories and children will learn how to make a leaf mask using colorful leaves collected at the UT Gardens. They are offered without charge and are open to children of all ages. Pack your lunch and picnic in the Gardens afterward. Follow signs for special parking space on the day of the program.
The Gardens are located on Neyland Drive. Map here:
UT Gardens - Visitor Information (http://web.utk.edu/~sconlon/visitor.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 09:34 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
Default Thanks for sharing, knoxgarden.

Thanks, knoxgarden. That is a wonderful program. I'm glad to see that they are looking for volunteers. I may not have a green thumb, but I am a volunteering whiz-kid! Sounds like this is a "must do" for me.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:08 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,658,831 times
You'll find plenty of opportunities to volunteer for things in Knoxville. After all, we are called the Volunteer State!
A good place to start:
City of Knoxville - Volunteer Opportunities
This one is interesting. I'm going to look into it myself. I've always been interested in archeology.
The Archaeological Research Laboratory - Volunteer (http://archaeology.as.utk.edu/volunteer.htm - broken link)

Old 10-23-2007, 06:05 PM

Smile Thanks, knoxgarden. You find so many great sites for us! Thanks.

I see several areas where I might be able to help out, knoxgarden. I particularly enjoy working with kids and seniors. I think I end up getting more out of it than they do! Thanks for passing those websites on.

You are right. The UT Archaeological Research Lab looks very interesting. I had dreams as a budding science scholar (I use the term loosely) in my teens of being an archaeologist - doesn't every teenager? I know that you would enjoy it. With the class you are taking this semester you would actually know what you were looking for in the lab. Sounds good.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
You can volunteer to teach Lauren how to read! (I'm just kidding.)

I have a tough time helping her. It's a real gift to be a teacher, isn't it?

Old 10-24-2007, 05:17 PM

Wink Hik, I'm glad that you persist with helping Lauren. It really goes a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You can volunteer to teach Lauren how to read! (I'm just kidding.)

I have a tough time helping her. It's a real gift to be a teacher, isn't it?
I love to tutor individual children, in particular, and small groups, if necessary. But, hiknapster, the most difficult children to teach are your own!

My own children, and I think other teachers will agree with me, see us as "Mommy" or "Daddy" - not their teacher. They may study with another teacher, older student or even an older sibling better than Mom or Dad who happens to be a teacher. What you may be experiencing with Lauren is a problem for most parents.

I found with my youngest son that making our study time our own special time together - he thought - so that he could help me learn new things was the most effective way of tutoring him. He felt like he was getting special attention that no one else in the family got, and he was helping poor Mom learn something about spelling, reading and math!

Worked like a charm right through middle school. Then, suddenly he woke up one day, rubbed the beard stubble on his chin, and thought "What would I rather do today: have special time with Mom talking about geometry or go to the soccer game?" I guess you know the ending to that story!

Fortunately, at that point in your child's life all of the study habits, educational basics and thrill of achieving are pretty much a part of him. So, go to the soccer game; the math will be done after dinner.

Just the fact that you are taking the time to help Lauren with reading is helping her tons. She will feel that thrill, too, pretty soon and love to show Mom how to read.

I don't know if teaching is a gift one has, but it is certainly a privilege and a blast!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:36 PM

Thank you for the response.

She is so wrapped up in Mommy, that she does intently listen to everything I say. We seem to relate to computer programs. I wish I could find a great learning website, though.

I have a problem being patient with her. I guess when it is your own child you tend to get over-emotional.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Thank you for the response.

She is so wrapped up in Mommy, that she does intently listen to everything I say. We seem to relate to computer programs. I wish I could find a great learning website, though.

I have a problem being patient with her. I guess when it is your own child you tend to get over-emotional.
You are so fortunate that she puts so much faith and trust in her mommy, hiknapster. There is a wonderful website that I used with Zach. I'll try to find it. He will probably remember before I do.

It is hard to be patient with your own child. We spend so much time with them, have such high expectations for them, and often forget that they are not little grown-ups, but just silly little kids who need a lot of guidance and good examples. My heart is with you on that situation, Hik.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:05 PM

This website, hiknapster, was developed by a school district in PA, but they will let anyone subscribe. They provide educational sites for parents and child to do activities together in reading, math, science, art, etc. You might want to check it out while I wait for my memory to kick in. (Check out learningcompany website, too, for free downloads!)

Websites

Old 10-24-2007, 07:07 PM

I would truly be grateful if you could find the website.

She's seven, and in second grade, but I think she is more at first grade level in reading. She is where she is suppose to be or slightly ahead, in math. She loves science.

We did her social studies project together, and she got an A+, and that wasn't all me, because she had to do an oral presentation and she received an A+ in that, too. We heavily relied on google earth. They have a great layer that we used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville