Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM

22 posts, read 84,153 times

Advertisements

I know, I know, but moving from Upstate NY where the only snakes you see are the garden or corn variety, and the spiders are more often than not daddy long legs.....reading some of the stuff on the Interweb's about Brown Recluse and Copper Head snakes in the "south" gets a man's mind wandering

We are avid Kayak users, so I'm curious how likely it is we'll see some of the more venomous snakes near Lake Douglas. As for the spiders, my grandmother was bitten by one of those darn Brown Recluse spider's in Cary, NC at her apartment.....just want to know how common they are.

Last question about the creepy crawlies I swear....is my 11 year old indoor / outdoor cat likely to be in danger. We'll be living in a new neighborhood outside Sevierville on 2.5 acres. Hate to have to explain to the kiddo's that he got in a fight and lost with a copper head or water moccasin. (He's been known to kill garter snakes and bring them into the house as "trophies"

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:43 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
There aren't any corn snakes in New York.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Brown recluse are suppose to be common. In seven years, I have yet to see one but maybe I've been lucky.

Regarding snakes, I saw more of them when I lived in the northeast. Even after living in Florida for 10 years, I saw more in the northeast. Since I've lived here I have seen exactly one. He (or she!) was some sort of non-descript snake that was more afraid of me than I was of him. Speaking of which...all snakes will try to avoid you if they can. They once did a survey of all the national park rangers and they said the most common snake bite is on the hands. That's because people try to mess with them. I once walked right into the path of a water moccasin in Florida. That poor snake was terrified of me and ran away despite all the stories that people tell about them.

Regarding snakes...long after man has wiped itself off of this earth there will be two things standing, cockroaches and cats. I wouldn't worry about them.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 PM

22 posts, read 84,153 times
Thanks Hiknapster! Putting my mind at ease for sure.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 PM

13 posts, read 24,358 times
Having lived in East Tennessee on and off for a total of 41 years, I have never seen a Brown Recluse spider. But they do exist, so my advice to you if you are worried about them is never to leave your clothes on the floor and then put them on, and shake out your shoes as well.

I have only seen copperheads and rattlesnakes in the Great Smoky Mountains, although it's my understanding that copperheads can be found in other areas. Perhaps someone who actually lives in Sevierville will be able to advise how common poisonous snakes are in that area.

I hear very little about any venomous creatures around here, and I believe it will be the non-venomous creepy-crawlies that will take the most getting used to. East Tennessee is *buggy* during the summer compared to many other parts of the country, and they are noisy. Summer nights in particular can be spectacularly noisy with cicadas and, if you live near water, little peeper frogs. I personally LOVE the nighttime cacaphony ~ it is the sound of home ~ but I'm sure it can take some getting used to. Several summers ago, a recent New York transplant came to me asking what was that horrible noise. After I listened carefully and heard no "noise", horrible or otherwise, there followed a rather lengthy exchange in which I insisted I heard no noise, other than perhaps the traffic sounds from a nearby road, and he kept repeating, "How can you not hear that noise?" After several minutes, it dawned on me that he was referring to the cicadas, and I was able to explain to him that it was simply the sound of an East Tennessee summer night. It won't take long at all before it stops being noise to your ears, and becomes the sound of summer.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Granted we haven't lived in TN full time, but we've been down for a month or two at a time for the last year or so. Haven't seen any brown recluse nor copperheads, but we've seen two scorpions and three black widows...which is plenty for me, thank you very much!

That said, we're still moving down and will just keep our eyes open; very few folks die from black widow bites these days and the scorpion (I'm told) is like a beesting.

The cowkillers, on the other hand - I hear they won't kill ya but you might wish they did!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Poor Phyllis from Jersey!

She use to be on the forum and she was decidedly a "city" gal. She once asked us if the cows were safe. She moved out to the country - I think it was the New Market area - and she use to take a daily walk where she swore the cows were following her. We use to tease and she was great about taking it the right way.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:14 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
I remember, wasn't there a whole thread about scary cows? It was hilarious!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:56 PM

13 posts, read 24,358 times
bbkaren, I'm shocked, as I had never heard of scorpions around here!

I can, however, attest to very powerful sting of a cowkiller. Got stung by one while on a boat on Norris Lake ~ it flew into my hair and I thought it was just a leaf and reached to pluck it out and got stung. Never saw the critter itself, but the stinger it left behind in my thumb was the size of a rose thorn! The pain was horrific and as the hours went by, I could feel the poison traveling up my arm, bit by bit. At one point, considered going to the ER, as I became concerned what would happen when the poison got to my heart. Luckily, it started wearing off about the time it reached my shoulder. After recovering I began to research what sort of critter it could have been, and discovered with a stinger that large and a sting so painful, it could only have been a cowkiller. Finally found some life-size pictures and about fainted ~ those critters are huge!

Before we go scaring the OP into selling his Sevierville property and running for the flat land, I should report that cowkillers are considered very non-aggressive. Most stings occur when...wait for it...cowkillers fly into someone's hair.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
In the 7 years I've been living in the south, I've seen one Black Widow(Burnsville, NC) never have come across a Brown recluse, but I do shake things out before I put them on, just in case. As for snakes, haven't seen any at all. I saw more in upstate NY growing up then I do here.
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville