Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 6,306 times

Advertisements

I'm a 58 yr old retiree from Georgia and I want to relocate to Knoxville. I've been looking online at condo listings in West & North Knoxville. I'm looking in the $190k-$250k range, and I'm discouraged at the results. Two requirements: Must be located no where near a rail line (at least 1/2 mile, prefer 1 mile) and not have high voltage power towers/lines nearby. Like any buyer, I have other preferences for the condo itself, like having the master on the main level, but I find that the 2 requirements mentioned above are excluding every condo complex I look at. Plan B might be to look at 1 or 1 1/2 story homes with small yards, but I really would like to be done with the "yard work experience". Plan C might be to look outside of Knoxville, like over in Maryville instead. I do plan on hiring a buyer's agent at some point. but would like to be seeing some possibilities online first. Any ideas? Areas where I should be looking?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times
There are bound to be some complexes in West Knoxville that meet your requirements but you might need to spend some time on Googel earth to find them. There are condos in South Knoxville that are far from railroads/power lines. The ones off John Sevier are in a suburban/rural area. There are nice in-town condos off Woodlawn and Sevierville Pike. The closest RR is a mile away and has trains maybe once a month.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:42 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,776,427 times
What have you been using to find the condos? I used the public MLS for Knoxville and think I found at least a half dozen condos that are not near railroad tracks or power lines in West Knox. Map Search

If you use it to look closely at Gleason Drive in West Knox between Ebenezer and South Gallaher View there are more than 10 for sale in your price range and using the hybrid map feature I could not find any power lines or trains really close by.

Listing #831340

Listing #837756

Listing #830652

Listing #836723

Listing #838312

I've driven on Westland Drive many times and have only seen a train there once. I don't think that the condos south of the tracks along it actually hear much from those few trains that do go through and the area is very comfortably middle class. This is a condo that is furthest from the tracks at the back of the neighborhood: Listing #833983

Using the same map but looking west of I-140 (Pellissippi Parkway) there are at least another half dozen choices like the following:

Listing #828628

Listing #828308

Listing #796962

Listing #832000

I hope one of these gets you started in the right direction!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 AM

110 posts, read 213,294 times
Just FYI regarding the train track that runs parallel to Westland Drive...the majority of the trains run that line either late at night or early in the morning. It is an active track that averages several trains a day. I've lived less than a mile from them for 10+yrs. Sometimes the freight trains are so heavy it makes my windows & pictures shake. I dont mind it but I can see how some might find it bothersome.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 6,306 times
Thanks for the replies. Both were very helpful. I'm switching to using the Knoxville area MLS to look for listings. Somehow I'd missed the Gleason area and will give it a look. Right now West Knoxville remains my 1st choice, but I have never really looked at South or North Knoxville, and may do so on my next trip up there.
My original post had a frustrated tone to it, and I wish it hadn't. I think Knoxville is going to be a great place to live. When I retired, I considered a number of places to live, including Florida and Asheville, but Knoxville has so much more going for it that it became an easy 1st choice.
Thanks again for the tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville