Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

What????

It wasn't meant to be rude.

But it is very easy to find out how many Baptist churches there are in the area. It was meant as a joke, because this is the Bible Belt and Baptists rule the roost.

Knox County schools are not the best, but Maryville city schools are very good. It's been discussed on this forum at great length.

Have you not visited the area, yet? That's the absolute best research you can do, even better than locals opinions. What we might like, you might hate.

Clearly, the internet is a poor subsititute for face-to-face observations, otherwise you would not have taken my post as an insult.

My apologies and best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 10:32 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Poor misunderstood Hik! lol

Old 11-07-2007, 05:54 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Smile Tnwannabe, get to know the regular folks on the forum. You'll like what you see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnwannabe View Post
to hiknapster-clearly, I find your response very rude. I have been researching Tennesse for 8 months! My reseach reveals that Knoxville has 1/3 of the crime that Memphis or Nashville has, Knoxville is rated 5th on Forbes list for desireable cities to relocate to because of cost of living versus income ratio-and I found this to be true when researching jobs and real estate for sale, Knox Co. schools are rated good to very good in the national stanie scores. The research that can be done on the internet does not account for human opinion regarding the city in which you live and I guess that you do not comprehend that this is research! I guess I was wrong to assume that city forum would provide opinions on a human level and not insults. Clearly you should not be responding to inquires if you are that rude. I hope the residents in and around Knoxville are not as rude and presumptous as you! To the rest of the responders, thank you very much for your time to respond.
After you are participating on the TN/Knoxville forum for awhile, you will learn that each regular poster has a personality that most of us grow to love or at least accept. The folks from Tennessee are mostly kind-hearted, accepting and friendly people - including all of the posters you have read on this forum.

Hiknapster is one of the most knowledgeable, good-hearted and interesting regulars that we have on the forum. She will educate you in 15 words or less what it will take some of us 3 or 4 posts, 100 words each, to spit out.

Knowing her, she was not being rude, but displaying her leg-pulling personality. We all need to be banged on the head with a 2 x 4 once in awhile just to get a point. I got whacked a couple of times by several people. I'm starting to get the point!! Or, at least, I TELL them I am!

So, please, tnwannabe, stick around, get to know the regulars, and you will learn so much and have a blast doing it. Promise!

Old 11-08-2007, 04:55 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnwannabe View Post
My husband & I are planning to relocate to TN right after Christmas. I was looking at Knoxville, however, Maryville seems to be more along the lines of where we would like to finish raising our kids and "retire" later. Can anyone tell me about the school system? We have a high school student and 2 middle schoolers. I home school right now because Tampa Florida has ROTTEN schools and want to make sure the schools are local "in the town of Maryville" and are SAFE. We are also wondering if there are homes or mobile homes with land enough for vegetable garden and if things like chickens are allowed. We are Baptists and wonder if Maryville has Baptist churchs-Independent or Southern Baptist. Moving our whole family and closing our business here is very scary but we would like a better life for our children and ourselves away from the "citified" people and lifestyle. Anyone with info on Maryville- and I mean anything good or bad- please let me know.
Maryville City Schools are the best in the Maryville area. However; there is very little land available that is affordable that allows you to keep fowl on it. There are a few older mobile home parks in Maryville city but here again, not many lots or land in the city allow for mobile homes; if any. Vegetable gardens are prevalent here, including my yard. As far as Baptists be it Independent, Southern, whatever; we have it covered in Blount County.
I am not sure what you mean by "citified" so I can't comment on that.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 AM

33 posts, read 155,038 times
To Gemthornton-Thank you for responding. I will stick around and see how it goes. It is very hard to tell when someone is "pulling your leg" while reading it unless they give you a HA HA or something, maybe I am to defensive. Anyway, I have another question, if I dare read the responses ha ha. My mother-in-law just told me that in NC (where they live) has an additional State Income Tax on top of the Fedral withholding taxes. It never dawned on me that Tennesse may have one too, in Florida we have no State Income tax. Does TN have one? I looked on the state web site but could not find one listed. prehaps I was in the wrong place. My apololgy to hiknapster, I should not have jumped to conclusions, I am looking for your opinion, any info on knoxville good or bad, like or hate, helps me to decide where to look when we get there.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:05 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Smile This might help you out a bit, tnwannbe.

You are very welcome, tnwannabe. I am not yet a resident of Tennessee myself, but at our closing in a couple of weeks, we will be property owners!!

You are doing all the right things in researching the area so intently. You will find a wealth of information on the forum. Everyone here is so helpful and knowledgeable.

Tennessee does not have a State income tax. However, they do tax investment income (interest and dividends on your investment portfolio, stocks, bonds, etc.). The State does not tax your wages which is always the biggy.

There have been a couple of great threads on the issue if you go to the "SEARCH" option on the blue bar at the top of this page and click it. You can then type in "state income tax" under threads or posts and find out everything you need to know. Also, this website Individual Income Tax, the Tennessee.gov website gives all of the particulars.

The sales tax is 9%, though, which sounds high, but with basically no income tax, it evens out for most folks. You will probably find it is much less expensive to live in Tennessee than Florida. I have gathered this from the many posts of folks who have lived in both states.

Hope you find all of the info you need. Lots of local residents on the forum will give you any data you want!!!

Thanks for being so understanding about some of the posts you might read. We try to never make anything personal, except for the friendship that we spread around.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
You probably didn't find any info, because there isn't a state income tax!

Be forewarned, though, that there is a very large sales tax, and they seem to tax everything, including food. I think the sales tax is different per county, but it is high all over, no matter what.

For example, I have my latest grocery bill in my hands and on a total of $168.41, the tax was $13.94.

Lots of people say that it is better to have a sales tax than a state income tax, but I'm not one of those people.

Anyway, I did put a in my post, but I guess it is easy to overlook.

My buddies come to my rescue on here, because they know that I tend to be sarcastic, but I really mean well. My apologies.

What I really should have said is that I have concerns about somebody up and moving that soon, without having visited the area. I'm assuming that you haven't been here, yet, because there are tons of Baptist churches all over the place.

However, maybe you have!

Also, I don't mean to imply that this isn't the area for you. In fact, from your post, it seems like it would be a very good fit. My biggest concern would be with your husband closing his business in Florida.

I know that small business in Florida, for the most part, is not doing that well, and the economy here is much better, but I'd still make a visit to make sure that business will work here, too.

Lots of smilies for you!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:21 PM

20 posts, read 41,612 times
Tennessee does not tax individual wage income earned by its residents. It does, however, collect taxes on interest and dividend earnings.
The State sales tax base is 7% (6% on foodstuffs), but some counties and cities levy additional % points, such as Aloca, Knoxville & Maryville, where the combined rate is 9.25%. Maryville has zoning laws that prevent "livestock" in certain neighborhoods. Blount County is more lenient. Residents in Blount County can pay a modest tuition and attend schools in Maryville or the higher-rated Alcoa city schools. Blount County schools are generally lower rated. Knoxville-Knox County have a consolidated school system. Oak Ridge has one of the better systems in the state.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:26 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Spot on TV today about people falsifying their address so that their child can attend Maryville City Schools.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp...nav=menu7_2_12

Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 AM

118 posts, read 597,638 times
Default Maryville schools...

I was wondering about school boundaries or zoning. We are looking for a home with a bit of property and it looks like we'll have to be just outside of the actual city of Maryville to find that. We would love a lakefront home.

Are any of the surrounding small towns zoned MHS or do you have to apply for acceptance. For example, we have looked in Vonore and I can't find a High School listed in that area. Do students from that area go to MHS or is there another school I have missed?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville