Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:28 AM

14 posts, read 17,401 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to TN in a few months. I am looking for suggestions on area to live within comfortable driving distance to the airport (40 min at the most). I will need to rent first not wanting to rush into a house.
Also looking for a good realtor. Any help or general info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwahn1 View Post
I will be moving to TN in a few months. I am looking for suggestions on area to live within comfortable driving distance to the airport (40 min at the most). I will need to rent first not wanting to rush into a house.
Also looking for a good realtor. Any help or general info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
I take you are working at the airport? Well, we'll need a bit more info from you. How much do you want to spend? What is a comfortably population for you? Do you like it to be rural, suburban, etc? What do you do on your down time?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the response hiknapster. I will be working at the airport. Looking to spend 700-1000/mo. I would like to have some space and not live right on top of someone. I'm not opposed to a suburban area just want more than 8 feet between houses. My wife and I (no kids at home mid 40s) like city and outdoors camping,fishing, hiking etc. We currently live in Indy and seems like Knoxville area is the best of both worlds.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:21 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Most realtors don't deal with rentals and will want to steer you into buying a house. Try "wanted to rent" on Cragslist, or the local papers. Plenty of good rural housing within 10-15 miles of the airport. Blount County or south Knox county. Come down in advance and set yourself up at a temporary hotel so you can check the houses out in person.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,016 times
Sorry Creek, but any realtor who steers you anywhere is a bad realtor, Craigslist is a bad place to start if you do not know and area. From Knoxville to Lake Loudon there is much available and depending on what you like to do off of work will lead you to the right place, Turkey Creek, The west end,

Old 07-02-2013, 04:08 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Many real estate offices have rental divisions - just sayin.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:32 AM

The OP wants rural - that's not the sort of property I associate with rental offices. More likely that someone has a 2nd house on their farm.

I hope the OP knows that some of the CL listings are fake - that's why he needs to be here in person.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:46 AM

I am looking for advice and general info on areas for my search and will be down there soon to look around. And the OP is aware that there are bad people out there. I have researched as much as I can on the net but need to know where to start in person. Looks like most rentals are advertized locally? Thanks again for the replies.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:27 AM

I think that most of the area around the airport will suit your needs. It is built up in Maryville and Alcoa of course but other than that either rural or subdivisions on larger lots. There are some pockets of rough areas here and there but not in any one particular location.

The problem could be that many of the good rentals aren't advertized. You may need to leave your name with some of the local store owners and such. I'd be curious to see if the owners respond to "wanted to rent".

Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
You can find open space and semi-rural places within 5 minutes of leaving the airport. Forty minutes could put you in the mountains or the other side of Knoxville. If you want a short commute stay in Blount County when looking. Most of the real estate offices do have rental divisions but there are also many homes with for rent signs up that don't appear to be using any agents.

Within the county your choices for more open settings would be Louisville (more or less north of the airport) Maryville (areas south of the city limits are mixed with suburbs edging into farms and woodlands) Friendsville and Rockford.

The local newspaper would be another good place to look. This is the link to the pdf for the real estate classified section: http://ww2.thedailytimes.com/dailypd...RealEstate.pdf
If the link doesn't work just look up the Daily Times for Maryville here: Download This Week's Real Estate Times | The Daily Times - The Daily Times

Last edited by Beretta; 07-05-2013 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: mentioning and linking to private real estate sites not allowed per TOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville