U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,184 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have been several times to Townsend as a relative has a trailer that my family would spend a week or so in, but now my friend and I want to drive up ourselves this fall. We would like to go to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Cades Cove. We like the cooler weather in the fall, but I'm worried about the icy roads. I'm from south Florida so I've never driven on ice in my life and neither has my friend. The only thing that really scares me about it is the steep drops off the side of the road and I don't want to slide off! What times of year up there have less of a risk of ice on the roads?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 01:11 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,341,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1syd View Post
Hello! I have been several times to Townsend as a relative has a trailer that my family would spend a week or so in, but now my friend and I want to drive up ourselves this fall. We would like to go to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Cades Cove. We like the cooler weather in the fall, but I'm worried about the icy roads. I'm from south Florida so I've never driven on ice in my life and neither has my friend. The only thing that really scares me about it is the steep drops off the side of the road and I don't want to slide off! What times of year up there have less of a risk of ice on the roads?

Thanks!
The roads will not be icy in the fall. This isn't New England. It's the South.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:32 PM

79 posts, read 111,456 times
Oh Lord I did have to laugh. I to am originally from Florida and I remember coming up here and my uncle scaring me to death on these roads with cliffs inches from the wheels. Now that I live here it is no big deal, except if ice. Never drive on ice unless in the flat of Florida. LOL If it's flat then you wont really slide anywhere. Hiknapster is correct there will be no ice so enjoy. You must take the Little River Road from Townsend to Gatlinberg, wonderful on the third week of October.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,184 times
Thanks!! Now I can relax and actually be excited for the trip!

Old 07-02-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1syd View Post
Thanks!! Now I can relax and actually be excited for the trip!
I am sure you will. Another chuckle because we can always spot the cars from Fl. they are driving a bit slow. Partly because they may be made uneasy by the very curvy roads and the other for gazing in awe at the lovely mountains and streams. Just for laughs i wonder how many times you look at that little river when you make that drive to Galtinberg.

BTW my native wife commented on her first trip trip to southern Fl., around Okeechobee "oh it's so pretty and flat here". I was raised there and never thought the tow were related.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:56 AM

6,105 posts, read 10,368,055 times
Yes, please pull over. There are plenty of pull-offs so just pull over when you see someone on your bumper. Especially if they are flashing their lights. Nothing wrong with driving slow as long as you are polite enough to pull over.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:06 AM

If you pull over at all the pretty turn offs you'll never make it in a day.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM

6,105 posts, read 10,368,055 times
Not if you don't get out of your car too often. You let the line behind you pass and then you have a liesurely drive all to yourself until the next line of cars reaches you. Then you pull over argain and maybe, just maybe, the slowpoke behind you gets the idea that it is polite to pull over.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:07 PM

345 posts, read 864,760 times
I commend you for taking the time to at least inquire on the roads in the winter time here.

I'm originally from Ohio, where one day we'd have green grass and in the morning wake up to 8 inches of snow. However, it's fairly flat there, so driving in the conditions were relatively easy.

We usually don't get snow or ice until February. And even then, by 11am it's melted enough to travel. You should be just fine. Take your time and enjoy the drive. Like others have suggested, pull over if you feel someone is riding your tail. More than likely, it's a local on his/her way to work and they know the roads like the back of their hands.

Enjoy your visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>