Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 10:46 PM

811 posts, read 2,010,106 times

Advertisements

ok hik, we both posted potluck without realizing the other had, lol...great minds think alike!

Name the date and time and I will be there!

I have noticed a lot around here that while everyone is super-friendly, there seem to be people with their circles of friends that almost seem hard to get into. I dont know, maybe I am just too shy! I want a circle!!! hehehehe

Old 08-02-2008, 11:16 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticfire0213 View Post
ok hik, we both posted potluck without realizing the other had, lol...great minds think alike!

I have noticed a lot around here that while everyone is super-friendly, there seem to be people with their circles of friends that almost seem hard to get into. I dont know, maybe I am just too shy! I want a circle!!! hehehehe
Hey, mysticfire, you are in the middle of our circle!

We can start another circle, too, but it just gets too confusing! This is a nice circle. It likes to eat Red Velvet cake.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticfire0213 View Post

You can be in my circle! I don't have a circle!

Don't feel bad. That last meeting, I felt that I didn't belong! I was even told that I should change my name from hiknapster! They said that they felt that my name should be "hip", that's what they all call me, and if I am not use to it, I should change it. Then someone complained about their bill. I listen to that all the time. And what they said was not true. But I felt on the spot. It was horrible.

I went to that meeting even though that I had just bought my house a week ago. We had so much more to do, but I thought that it was someone's birthday, and that no one else would come, just to find out that there were a core of people that already know each other. (AT some point, someone said that who they really want to meet is THAT JMT.)

On top of all that, someone asked my husband to come look at her car. He went there on a Sunday morning, with our daughter, in a middle of a rain storm. He told them he would have to look at it further. We never heard from them, again.

This "meeting" thing is not anything like what East Tennessee is like. This is not what this area is really like.

Mysticfire, you and other people, if you would like to get together, that would be great. I would love that. But that get-together is not what the Knoxville forum is like. The forum has always been about locals, long-time settlers, and us people that love the area and want to assimilate.

I was horrified about how I felt after that meeting and that my husband and child thought that was what the city-data people were like, after these couple of years. Thank goodness that SMG came to the house right afterwards, because my husband thought that those people were rude. Fortunately, he had met JMT before, and knew that forum members were not like that.

This meeting has dominated the forum, lately, but I didn't enjoy it. I felt very uncomfortable.

Write back to me, if you would like my address!

P.S. I really like Suzanne 1945!

Last edited by hiknapster; 08-03-2008 at 12:02 AM..

Old 08-03-2008, 12:09 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
And no, I didn't want presents. I wanted a huge celebration with the people that had been "with" me while I bought my house.

I guess this made me realize that I don't actually have any friends, now do I?. This is just the internet and I am a person to snicker at.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:29 AM

811 posts, read 2,010,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And no, I didn't want presents. I wanted a huge celebration with the people that had been "with" me while I bought my house.

I guess this made me realize that I don't actually have any friends, now do I?. This is just the internet and I am a person to snicker at.
I don't think that at all!!

I know you didn't want presents, and I know exactly what you mean, I would feel awkward too. I hope my smilies didn't give you the wrong impression! I was just saying "no presents" as in "I don't think I could come empty handed!" But I would like to bring some kind of food or something to share when I visit cuz it's just the way I am!

I had a feeling that there would be the same sort of issues for me if we went to the meeting...but then, I feel that way pretty easily, so I just shook it off as that. I am so sorry that you felt that way!! I feel priveledged to have gotten to experience your home purchase! And I feel that had I never met you, I may have never met Sandy, and then I never would have found our place either...so I am extremely grateful to you for that! I consider you a friend, and I don't know that I could have made this big move without those of you I have grown close to here on C-D. I know my hubby thinks I am a little off kilter b/c I am always saying "on CD, someone said "x", someone said we should try "z""...etc...but he loves me anyway, lol.

My comment about having a "circle" was just that I have never really had that "group" of friends...you know, the couples that all go to each others houses just because, and whose kids grow up knowing each other, and who just call and chit-chat just because....I have really missed out on that in my life, and I just want so badly to have that part of my life filled with the people I care about. Someday, I hope to have that. And methinks (did I just say that?! lol) that maybe some of my friendships here on CD just may help that along.

BTW, Hiknapster, I like your screen name just fine. I am sure I wouldn't like it nearly as much if you changed it...and I refer to you by your name, anyway

Big hugs...and hope everyone is sleeping well.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:04 AM

38 posts, read 65,237 times
Thanks for all the wonderful B'day wishes. Hik, Gem, Mystic, fall, SMG everyone. I did not make the meeting yesterday, our friends from Fl. did not leave until after 12 for Mich. They are in love with Fountain City and will be back to pick up their puppy on the way home. Week from Wednesday.

I am from Fl. but I got there via Georgia. That is why I love this place. reminds me of where I grew up. Nice friendly people, as I said, I make a mean potato salad,very southern, and would love to do a potluck.

We should all dance to our own drum, be kind to one another, be thankful daily, and not try to change anything about any one.
Acceptance is our challenge, both giving it and understanding when we did not recieve it.

May all have a Blessed, Loving, and happy day!!!
Eachday is a blessing!!!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:18 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,899 times
I hope you all have a wonderful day!!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:25 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You can be in my circle! I don't have a circle!

Don't feel bad. That last meeting, I felt that I didn't belong!

I went to that meeting even though that I had just bought my house a week ago. We had so much more to do, but I thought that it was someone's birthday, and that no one else would come, just to find out that there were a core of people that already know each other. (AT some point, someone said that who they really want to meet is THAT JMT.)

This "meeting" thing is not anything like what East Tennessee is like. This is not what this area is really like.

Mysticfire, you and other people, if you would like to get together, that would be great. I would love that. But that get-together is not what the Knoxville forum is like. The forum has always been about locals, long-time settlers, and us people that love the area and want to assimilate.

I was horrified about how I felt after that meeting and that my husband and child thought that was what the city-data people were like, after these couple of years. Thank goodness that SMG came to the house right afterwards, because my husband thought that those people were rude. Fortunately, he had met JMT before, and knew that forum members were not like that.

This meeting has dominated the forum, lately, but I didn't enjoy it. I felt very uncomfortable. . .
Hiknapster, I hope that you don't mind that I have done a little editing and highlighting, but I wanted to focus on the points that I felt were so relevant.

You have been very honest and open. I appreciate that very much - you already know that.

I think that the purpose of this meet-up has always been, not to substitute for making new friends and isolating themselves from their new neighborhoods. Instead, I believe that the intent was for newcomers to the area to get together now and then because they did not have established friends and family members in the Knoxville area. This occurred after the TN Forum get-together in April.

I am hoping that I have not misread the intent. I am assuming that this is a transition group and some friendships will meld, most won't. That is just the nature of all of us. It isn't a matter of where you are from that cements friendships, but WHO you are as a person. We will gravitate to our real friends - the friends for life.

This group of folks has had a good time exchanging information, helping one another become accustomed to their new home area. That is good.

Should it be a substitute for assimilating and contributing to their new Knoxville and environs' neighborhoods? I hope not. The whole intent of C-D city and state forums is to encourage and help newcomers into accepting and embracing their new areas; the tastes of the area, the customs, the celebrations, the heritage and history, the culture. This is what is so important to you - and to most of us on the forums.

I think that most of these folks have every intention of, and many of them are already, finding their niche in their local environment. I hope and believe that they are just making this transition within a group setting to ease one another out of a lonely isolated place (as we all feel someplace unfamiliar and new) and ease into their new home place.

I'm sorry that you didn't feel welcomed. That was unfair, but I have no doubt that this was a unintentional outcome of attending the group's get-together.

As I mentioned, personality, likes, intentions, backgrounds, outlooks, and goals are the stuff that friendships are made of. Everything else is superfluous. We can try to impress the pants off of someone when first meeting, but in the end, our real selves emerge and that is when a friendship is made or an acquaintance becomes good enough.

Many of us have lived through your period of finding just the right niche for yourself in Knoxville. We have thrilled with you when things just seemed to work out perfectly. We have cried and bemoaned with you when things have been rotten and off hilter. We adore you as our friend, Hik, and we need you as our forward post. You bring things to our attention that many of us blindly stumble over and know nothing about. You bring a wit, intelligence and vast knowledge of so many things to the table. We would not be the Knoxville forum as we know it without YOU.

Any who don't know you in this vein are really Newcomers, and I hope they have the privilege and wisdom of getting to know you in the same way the many of us have. I, for one, feel like a wiser person for knowing you. I feel that I am relocating for all of the right reasons and, like you, hope to be an asset to my new community and culture, not a liability.

I feel certain that the folks in the Newcomer's Group have all of the same intentions, but feel a need of the companionship of others in the same situation of being new for now. One of them may someday be mayor of Knoxville.

When I speak of a circle of friends, I certainly don't refer to a clique or actual circle of companions, but I think we have a grand circle of friends here on the Knoxville and Tennessee Forums. I'm proud of our forums and I know that you are, too. I hope we all feel that pride and privilege of being accepted by our new neighbors in Knoxville and here on C-D.

You are definitely in our circle, Heidi. They are no demarcations, no magic lines around it - just acceptance and and appreciation for each of us. We love you, lady, and really need you.

I apologize for being so long-winded, but I feel that it is so important that we all, newcomers and natives, make ourselves melt into our new home places and truly enjoy our neighbors, culture, environment and all that E. TN is offering us. This is a new wonderful life for me and for so many others. It is for you, too, Hik, and for the folks in the Newcomers' Group.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:29 AM

780 posts, read 1,765,763 times
[First of all, I dont know why you didnt feel like you belonged, we all tried to include everyone in our conversations it was hard though because you chose to sit further away from the rest of us.

Secondly, that was the first time we met Suzanne and her hubby, the other two we met at the first meeting which no one else came to, so no, we werent a "click" or previous friends as you refer to.

As far as your name, I dont recall anyone saying anything like that, I have typed Hip on these boards before because thats what I thought it was, I misread your name the very first time I responded to you and got in the habit of Hip although I dont find a problem with your name.

I have found all the people that I have met at these meetings to be kind, friendly and just what I find about the people of East Tenn. Everyone seemed to enjoy yesterday, I assume they did as almost everyone stayed for over 2 1/2 hrs, dont think they would have stayed if they didnt like it.

Moderator cut: cut

I am sorry you felt you 'had' to come to the meeting because of it being my Birthday, I dont want anyone to ever feel sorry for me or think for one minute that I NEED you to be there, I want people to come because they want to make new friends and have some good conversation. Yes, sometimes it is hard to talk to everyone when the table is so long and you hate talking over someone, I wanted to talk more with Ida yesterday but it was difficult as she was at the very end of the tables.

If this sort of thing is going to happen on this thread I dont think I want to be a part of it, I believe everyone deserves friends and I try to treat everyone with respect. Moderator cut: cut I will DM my friends that I have made but I'm not sure I want to be any part of this sort of garbage.!!!!!

As far as JMT I'm not even sure I know who that is so I certainly didnt say that. Moderator cut: cut

I know that there are just people in this world that have to be "center of attention" and when they arent they dont like it and try to ruin things for everyone else, now I am ready to leave this thread if others feel like I shouldnt be here, I can make friends most any where, just thought it was fun meeting people on here that you have shared things with and to put a face to a name, not to mention the friends I HAVE made thru this group.

Like Gem said, some people you hit it off with and some you dont, thats true everywhere you go and with everyone you meet. I'm sure there are some on this board that I wouldnt have things in common with and some that I will have a lot in common with, thats just life.

Mystic Fire, I'm sorry you felt that way also, I really dont have anything in common with you, you are of a younger generation and with small kids, I am a senior and a Grandmother but I have enjoyed going thru you finding a house and moving here and being a part of all that, if we didnt make you feel more welcome then for that I am sorry as that was never my intention.

Well I hope MOST of you have a good day and enjoy whats left of a now miserable weekend for me for all this "crap" that wasnt needed and will probably make a few people really feel badly now.

Last edited by Beretta; 08-03-2008 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-03-2008, 09:50 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Good Morning Everyone -

I have just skimmed over the posts (and have been mostly dealing with the reported posts from the Nashville forum ) and haven't really read these. It sounds as if there is a disagreement of some sorts on here in regards to the Newcomers Club/Get Together meetings. I'm gonna go review the posts; hopefully everything is ok. I am so sad that there are hurt feelings but understand that miscommunications and the link are just human nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville