Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 10:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
Thanks, hiknapster. I had the easy part.

Sometimes it takes a little adversity in our lives to see what we are made of deep inside. You should be liking what you see right now.

My dear Michigan friend used to remind me at my dire moments that "this too shall pass". You know, it always did. You handled this like a trooper and I would imagine that hubby feels the same way right about now. You should be proud of each other. Good team.

That is very funny that Mr. Employer suddenly had poor cell reception just when he was getting put in his place. You should have steered him to the "Can I Get Good Cell Phone Reception" thread!
Oh, I am rolling on the floor laughing, right now. I do believe that tears of laughter spewed straight out of my eyes!

Is that like the "Can I get a Witness? " thread.

Too dang funny.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times
I have images of the TV add that repeats "Can you hear me now??"
LOL!!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:57 PM

Yeah. He hit the dial-tone button a couple of times, and started saying, "Hello, hello?"

Too pathetic.

I truly had lost my mind at that point.

But I was never threatening. I was clear, steady.

Pointed out that he was "bleeding out the butt" and did the worst thing he could do to resolve it, and was losing the best auto mechanic he had ever seen. I proceeded to tell him what he should have done.

I explained that I met my husband at work, because we were in the same business, and that I knew exactly who my husband is and what the business entailed.

I simply must mention that I started by saying, "Mr. ____ _____? This is _____ _____, ______ ______'s wife. Let me be the first to wish you a Happy Holidays."

Oh, yes. I did.

Uh, huh.

Do you know what I am learning? Life is a game. Play it. Sometimes it is brutal, but often it is not.

Be kind to everyone you know, but hang with the winners.

You don't like your situation? Change it.

We are all free to do what we want to do, providing we hurt no one.

Life is full of opportunity and dead ends, but we can turn around, head out, and try another street.

Oh. I am full of platitudes, now.

Thanks to all of you!!!!

Friends are there when you need them. You all were.

Last edited by hiknapster; 12-07-2007 at 11:10 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 11:37 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
Wink You are the wo-man, hiknapster. Oh, yeah.

I wish I could go to UTube now and watch this replay!

It sounds like you handled this situation in a very dignified manner. Have you ever considered the law as a career path, Hik?

You are so right about life spewing all kinds of obstacles in your way, but you are free to blast through them, detour, or back out. Your call.

I like the way you choose to go yesterday, hiknapster. (Yesterday? I better go to bed soon!)

Last edited by gemkeeper; 12-07-2007 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: A goofy spelling on this post. Who did that?

Old 12-08-2007, 07:21 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,478,600 times
Hahaha. I can just hear the employer (I'll call him Scrooge) crumpling up some bubble wrap, tin foil or something to make a crackling sound on his cell phone.

ok, maybe that was a little mean calling him Scrooge, since he actually paid the employees something, but he should have stepped up before payday and told them about the payroll problems

I always think that Attitude determines Altitude and rising above is always a good thing; proud of you Hik for all that you've accomplished. I am not sure that I would have even had the kahunas to call the boss. Oh, how I would have wanted to and would have had evil conversations in my head with the boss though.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:33 AM

Funny thing, what you are saying.

I just looked up Tennessee state law. They can't change your pay without informing you ahead of time, and it looks like if you work in a mechanical environment, along with many other environments, the agreed upon amount is a legally-binding oral contract and is a basis for litigation in civil cases.

In other words, he has to pay him the $200 or I can sue him.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:15 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Funny thing, what you are saying.

I just looked up Tennessee state law. They can't change your pay without informing you ahead of time, and it looks like if you work in a mechanical environment, along with many other environments, the agreed upon amount is a legally-binding oral contract and is a basis for litigation in civil cases.

In other words, he has to pay him the $200 or I can sue him.
I think a note to Mr. Scrooge is in order here, hiknapster.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:20 PM

That's a great idea. I can attach a copy of the law.

Fred's been itching to go down there today and demand his $200, but I don't like the idea. He'd be low-key about it, but he's still on his property and I think that's a scary prospect.

I'm going to send the letter.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Did anyone go to the Living Christmas Tree? We had tickets but didn't make it. I was wondering how it was this year.

Today was cookie baking and then we drove to Clinton to deliver gifts to our adopted Christmas family. We're getting ready to head out for dinner as cookies are only taking us so far........

Yesterday I went to Subway to get some lunch. Did you all know that they sell their bread loaves? OMGosh, I was in carb heaven last night when I broke the cheese loaf out! For a $1 I am not gonna fire my oven up!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Another installment of talking to myself.....

So, we're at Ruby Tuesday's last night and the waitress brings the check. DH signs the credit card slip and I look at the pen the waitress has provided. It had V I A G R A printed in large, bold print across it. I start laughing and DH doesn't know whether to be offended or consider it a proposition. I feel like I live in a Seinfeld epi

and in case you're wondering, I broke it gently to DH that it wasn't a proposition I was quite certain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville