Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 12:16 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times

Advertisements

Hi, there, tippikincaid. It does sound like you have your hands full. I am up stumbling around because I can't sleep tonight and just peeked into the Knox forum.

I am sure that some local Knox folks can give you some suggestions. I personally would check with your children's schools and see if there is some support there with sharing rides to and from school. Perhaps you could be a morning drive the kids to school mom and someone else with children in afternoon sports or band practice could drive your child home in return.

Many school districts have activities' school buses that transport children home after practice or other after school activities.

Does your 17 yr. old drive? Is it possible for her to pick up her brothers after school?

Is your 16 year old dependable enough to look after his brother until you get home from work? If so, that will help tremendously. It looks like your major hurdle will be the transportation issue for your boys.

Do you have a church that you are associated with? Often churches have Single Parents' groups that may offer you some help with transportation, as well as the moral and emotional support you will be needing for awhile.

You may even have a neighbor who will be willing to pick up your children for a fee to cover gas and the time involved. Or, perhaps even exchange favors. You do the neighbor's ironing on the weekend in exchange for her help with transportation.

I have not made my move to the Knoxville area yet so am not familiar with the support groups available to you, but first thing in the morning once the early crowd logs on, I am sure that you will receive many suggestions.
You might want to start a separate thread asking the specific question in the "Title" box: "Single parent needs help in Knoxville area". or something to that effect. On the main Knoxville page you will see the icon "New Thread" in the upper left hand corner. If you click on that you will get a posting box with the title box. The title that you type in will be the topic in the array of threads on the page. It's a great way to get right to the subject and not get lost in a chit-chat thread like this one.

I hope this has been of some help. I am off to try to sleep again, but do wish you every success, tippikincaid. I am sure that this is a very difficult time for you. You will have lots of friendly, caring support here on the Knoxville forum. Be sure to check out the "Parenting" forum, also, under General Forums. I am sure you will find lots of inspiration and support there, also.

Keep us informed as to how things are going for you. I'll keep you in my prayers for a happy outcome. Good night.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:42 AM

811 posts, read 2,009,926 times
Okay, how many 8week old puppies are actually TRAINED? not this one, I assure you. He has peed outside ONCE since he came home with us.

He is a cutie though, and I think he is just young.

Hope everyone is having a great day!!
I am officially packing up the computer, so I won't have internet until Monday. Everyone be good, and TAKE CARE of yourselves! Hugs to all of you--Heidi you have my cell number -call me if you want or if anything happens while I am gone

"See" ya'll next week!!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:37 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
A long time ago we bought a male keeshound pup and he was totally trained in less than a week.... Then when he was about 1 1/2 years old someone stole him. So Mrs.Bones saw a female pup that looked like him and it took her almost 3 weeks to learn to dump outside, but several months to go pee outside....

Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,783 times
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Good Morning!!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:40 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Smile "Good outside, Puppy!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
A long time ago we bought a male keeshound pup and he was totally trained in less than a week.... Then when he was about 1 1/2 years old someone stole him. So Mrs.Bones saw a female pup that looked like him and it took her almost 3 weeks to learn to dump outside, but several months to go pee outside....
Yikes! We got our Cocker at 8 weeks and started taking her out on 2 hr. intervals, always took her to the same spot, told her "Good outside, Lacey!" whenever she did something productive - along with a miniscule treat - and, within the week all of her duty was outside. She was a regular 1 1/2 - 2 hour outside freak for about 2 months, but gradually lengthened the time out between trips just like a little kid.

We never let her anywhere in the house alone, either, except the kitchen. I think they get a sniffing going on when they are thinking about how good it would feel to piddle right now, so there were a lot of "scoops and runs" too! I got pretty good at running, yelling "Nooooooo - outside!!!", scooping up the pup, and getting out the door all in about 5 seconds.

I sure hope it goes fast for you, Mystic, and 8 weeks is pretty young to be trained. The mother dog is still cleaning up after her pups at 8 weeks and urging them to go. I would say that 12 - 14 weeks is a good target age for expecting success. But, every time puppy does go outside for you in "his spot", I would praise him with always the same words! It works wonders to tell anybody what a good job they are doing - even puppies!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:56 PM

~~~~~~Y'all have a wonderful evening!!!

Please keep the folks in Ike's path in your prayers........

Old 09-12-2008, 07:19 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
I think a lot of 8-week-old pups can't hold it very long. Their bladders are just too small. My dog was trained to go in a litter box when I brought him home and he was really good about it, but he couldn't make it all night. I wanted to retrain him to go outside, instead of in the litter box, so I would have to get up during the night to take him out whenever he whimpered. This went on till he was about three months old, though it felt like much longer. I got pretty good at the "scoop and runs" too.

Puppyhood is challenging, but it's also a sweet, wonderful time. You'll look back on it very fondly when you're going through your dog's adolescence.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:53 PM

197 posts, read 485,381 times
We fell in love over the Internet with a dog and then found out he was not potty trained - even though he was fully grown and around 6 years old. Soooo, never one to shirk a challenge, we trained him. I did tethered training (aka umbilical training). When in the house, I had Charley on leash and with a family member at all times. This way we took turns watching and making sure. We didn't have any accidents in the house that way. At night, we crated with piddle pads until he was able to make it through the night - then he transitioned to the foot of my son's bed.
I know with puppies it is different because they just have immature systems. 8 weeks is very young.

I agree that you will look back on this time with fondness when your pup is an adolescent. I am now having to bring my dog, Gracie, to doggie daycare. A cage or fence can't hold her and I'm afraid that she's going to eventually eat a cat if I leave her here indoors during the day every day. So we are going to let her stay home on Mondays and Wednesdays and she'll go to day camp on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Yes, we've had her in the fence, stapled the bottom of the fence, got a radio fence system, have another dog to keep her company, etc. No, she does not climb - she finds a weak spot and gets out! Then we got a dog run with a floor and ceiling and she got out. Then I added more hinges and she got out. Then I added more clasps and she got out. I locked it with carabeeners. She got out. We enrolled in agility classes - she does fantastic! But she still escapes. Started play sessions for an hour in the morning and afternoon. Still gets out. Hired a behaviorist. Behaviorist says, "Gracie does not want to be outside with only McKinley to play with." Gee - thanks. She can open the doors from the inside of the house, too, so I had to get keyed ones. She remembers which neighbors have given her ham in the past and shows up to their houses. Then I get "the call" at work.

Ahhh, adolescence.

She's a Rough Collie, BTW. Like Lassie. That show? Not an exaggeration. BEST (and worst, LOL) dog I've ever had. My best friend. Just gotta keep her from getting herself killed... SIGH....

Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 AM

Good Morning Everyone!!!!! I hope you all have a wonderful day today!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 09-13-2008, 02:18 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,908 times
Good news Knoxville! We made enough to pay for the move! We'll be home this Wednesday the 17th!!!!
I'm so excited,I'm worse then a kid waiting for Christmas morning to arrive!!!!
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville