Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times

Advertisements

I feel the same way about going home to mom, SmokyMtnGal. I sure wish my mom lived in Farragut. Give her a big hug from me the next time you go to visit.

I bet she always tries to get you to have just a bite, too, huh? And, take a little home for the rest of the family! Wow, moms.

Hey, that's us, too!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:20 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
I could be wrong about how things are going, but this is how it all appears to me now. You would probably have a lot more instinct and knowledge about these trends than I, GBH, what do you think?(
Well, all the lots that I have liked have been going up in price. I'm only looking at select view lots and I haven't seen any evidence that these are going down in price. I'm not a buyer right now, because I think land prices are high and building costs are outrageous in Knoxville-- I've been quoted as high as $175/SF for the same house with the same amenities that friends are building lakefront in Arkansas for $100/SF. So I'm watching and waiting.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:14 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Ever notice how many people on this forum bought land but live somewhere else? They can't actually move here, yet, so they figured the next best thing was to buy some land.

How that plays out is anyone's guess. They could decide that they won't move here, or can't sell their house, or bit off more they can chew, and end up in more financial trouble than they were, and lots of land could go on the market.

Or none of the above will occur.

It's a tough call.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:29 AM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Quote:
LOL, jabogitlu. You see what we all think about Target! There are NO old boring Targets!!

It would be great for Johnson City to get a Super Target. Bet then you might make supervisor of a department (Make it electronics, please.)

We'll look for you at Turkey Creek Borders. Borders is one of my favorite haunts, too. I am really getting more interested in 19th century literature and I love having my own personal hardcover copies.
True, it's hard to find a bad Target. One was just built in Kingsport that is amazing, though. It's even better than the Super Target in Knox IMO - it even has a Starbucks and Pizza Hut. I hope we don't get that, because on my lunch I'd spend all my paycheque!

As for favourite departments, though, somehow I've found my niche in clothes, actually -- far from electronics! I always get dragged over there every morning.

The Borders in TC has a really good foreign language section, and since that's my major, that always gets me excited. plus, when I get tired of looking at their books, I can always peruse their excellent music & DVD selections!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:41 PM

Smile Give me a Dr. Seuss book and a new sweater and I am sooo happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
True, it's hard to find a bad Target. One was just built in Kingsport that is amazing, though. It's even better than the Super Target in Knox IMO - it even has a Starbucks and Pizza Hut. I hope we don't get that, because on my lunch I'd spend all my paycheque!

As for favourite departments, though, somehow I've found my niche in clothes, actually -- far from electronics! I always get dragged over there every morning.

The Borders in TC has a really good foreign language section, and since that's my major, that always gets me excited. plus, when I get tired of looking at their books, I can always peruse their excellent music & DVD selections!
We seem to have some of the same weaknesses, jabogitlu! But, clothes are "essential", right? And, I am an unabashed collector of books, including children's books! Oh, Theodore Geisel, Springfield, MA is sooo proud of you!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:07 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
MBmouse, would you make this thread a sticky ¿

Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Quote:
We seem to have some of the same weaknesses, jabogitlu! But, clothes are "essential", right? And, I am an unabashed collector of books, including children's books! Oh, Theodore Geisel, Springfield, MA is sooo proud of you!
You're a book person?? Ah, I had you pegged. I have way too many... stopped counting at 2,000. Oddly, I'm a children's book collector too, but mostly antique young adult series - think Hardys and Nancy Drew, Dana Girls, Tom Swift, etc. etc.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 PM

Wink You read people quite well, jabogitlu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
You're a book person?? Ah, I had you pegged. I have way too many... stopped counting at 2,000. Oddly, I'm a children's book collector too, but mostly antique young adult series - think Hardys and Nancy Drew, Dana Girls, Tom Swift, etc. etc.
Jabogitlu, honestly, I never have thought of Nancy Drew, Dana Girls, et.al. as antiques! They are the books of my childhood.

But, yes, I do love books. I enjoy lovely, lyrical prose and poetry. I like to read anything that I can immerse myself into quickly.

My current favorite author that I am actually revisiting, is James Mitchener. I wish "The Covenant" and "Poland" could continue forever. My favorites.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:44 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I've read "Poland" and "Mexico." I liked "Mexico" better.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:55 AM

Wink Check out "The Covenant", Hik.

Try "The Covenant", hiknapster, if you liked "Mexico".

It is huge! Two volumes, but you will read them so quickly! Covers the history of South Africa and is so beautifully written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville