Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 12,806 times

Advertisements

My family and i are thinking of moving to Knoxville Tn, I have never been there. I do plan on going down in October to look for a place. I am originally from NYC(30yrs)then moved to Fl(7yrs). I would like to know what areas of Knoxville Tn should I be Looking at as far as finding a place that is convenient to public transportation and schools, shopping, hospital or clinics etc...Also how is the weather?humidity?, is it as bad as Fl? How is the job market for the hispanic community out there as I am a Medical assistant and my husband is in collections....How are the public schools?Is racism an issue against Puerto Ricans? Any info you can help me with is appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 06:06 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,100 times
Hello! Welcome! You guys will find Knoxville to be welcoming so dont worry. If you seek good transportation, then look at areas closer to downtown. They tend to be the more urban, walk-able communities with many bus lines. I'd suggest looking at the KAT (Knoxville's bus system) map and see which areas tend to have more than one line running through so you can get around the city easier. The website is... Welcome to KAT, Knoxville Area Transit!

Collection agencies are in Knoxville, and hire frequently as not too many people want to work in that field. If he speaks Spanish, I dont want to assume, then he'll be an asset. The healthcare field is also a strong sector here for you. Humidity isnt as bad as Florida.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 AM

Thank You so much for the info...will be chacking out the Kat transit website.

Thanks again!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,100 times
If your husband will rely on transit, then GC Services in North Knoxville may be a good employer for him. It's on Broadway and on a bus line.

GC Services > Home

Old 07-25-2013, 04:43 PM

my husband has checked out gc services and it sounds like a good start for him. They are hiring and maybe we can be out there sooner than expected.... Thank You!

Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
For the time being you can look for work with Drs near Tenova also near broadway. Unfortunately they are moving west to an area with not as good transit.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,536 times
To Moving to Tn, or anyone who can answer. I too am Puerto Rican, just relocated to Knoxville area from south FL about a year ago. I am missing the stores where I could get authentic Spanish foods. Such as bacaloa, yame, boniato, yucca, the spices, etc. Does anyone know of a market that offers these products? Any lead is much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Lots of stores where you can get Spanish and international items but may not be anything specifically Puerto Rican. The Hispanic community around here is about 70 percent Mexican, 20 percent Honduran, and 10 percent other nationalities: Colombian, Venezuelan, Costa Rican, Guatemalan, El Salvadoran, and other countries in Central and South America.

Have you tried Mi Pueblo Super Mercado at Downtown West, La Esperanza on Washington Pike, the two Tienda Nony's on Cedar Lane and Kingston Pike? Publix has a fairly good Spanish section. If you need something, they will often agree to stock it. Talk to the manager.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Was in Publix last night - the one at Northshore - and they have that list of food that you are looking for, treehugger.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,536 times
To hiknapster

Thanks for the info. Will look into it. I should'nt have been Puerto Rican specific cause I know much of the same is used by many, just in different ways/receipes. I tried a Mi Pueblo on Washington in Maryville. They have many spices but not much in the way of produce of any kind. I called Tienda Nony's a few months ago, but without much luck. Am planning a trip to Pubix soon. A bit of a hike for me, but should be well worth it.

It's funny, cause here in TN most believe plantains need to be black before you cook them. When in fact, they can be used in many receipes from soups to main dishes, and in the green stage.

I really miss C&D market, minutes from where I used to live. The have produce of many different nationalities. The pics in the site below doesn't show much of the produce they offer but there is an enormous selection.

https://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt...alm+Springs+FL

Again, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville