Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 07:55 AM

345 posts, read 921,933 times

Advertisements

OK, I live here but I cannot seem to find ANY information regarding traffic laws, specifically citations.

Long story short, my question is this: If you are involved in a minor fender bender, and the police arrive and take a report, but you are given nothing...no ticket, no citation, nothing; you sign absolutely nothing that indicates you understand you are being cited or considered the party responsible for the accident, how can you be considered 'at fault'?
If you are involved in an accident, and the police consider you to be in the wrong and the responsible party, do they not have to provide you some sort of paperwork indicating such? At the scene?

I just can't seem to find anything about traffic laws, specifically for Sevier County; Pigeon Forge.

Help! LOL! Thanks friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMopar View Post
OK, I live here but I cannot seem to find ANY information regarding traffic laws, specifically citations.

Long story short, my question is this: If you are involved in a minor fender bender, and the police arrive and take a report, but you are given nothing...no ticket, no citation, nothing; you sign absolutely nothing that indicates you understand you are being cited or considered the party responsible for the accident, how can you be considered 'at fault'?
If you are involved in an accident, and the police consider you to be in the wrong and the responsible party, do they not have to provide you some sort of paperwork indicating such? At the scene?

I just can't seem to find anything about traffic laws, specifically for Sevier County; Pigeon Forge.

If the cops don't give you a citation - or the other guy for that matter - it has nothing to do with what the insurance company decides regarding fault. Traffic laws and insurance are two separate issues. However, if you ARE cited there is a very good chance that you will be found at fault. But if you aren't you can still be found at fault by the insurance companies.

Full disclosure: I'm a personal lines agent in Tennessee. I have my resident's license here but I'm licensed in 43 states for property and casualty.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 AM

148 posts, read 305,362 times
Quote:

Does the following web page Help? or links from that page?

Frequently Asked Questions - Question 10

Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 AM

Thanks to both of you!

The insurance company is not saying who is at fault; rather the police officer said that he has to get both stories and come to a conclusion and decide if anyone is cited.

But what I don't understand is how can the police officer say one individual is at fault, and cite them, without giving them a ticket or citation at the scene?

And then, to top it all off, if you want a copy of an accident report, you have to pay for it? What??
You don't automatically get a copy of the report, unless you file a claim with your insurance company.

This is frustrating to the max.....

Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM

Oh, I see...Well, that does seem unusual. And paying for the report seems ridiculous. So this was a state cop?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh, I see...Well, that does seem unusual. And paying for the report seems ridiculous. So this was a state cop?
No, it was a PF cop. The insurance company will get a copy of the report, but I don't see how a person can be considered "at fault" when they aren't advised as such at the scene. And if you aren't cited, how can you be technically at fault? A citation should be given at the scene if a person is going to be cited and points put on their record, right?

The insurance company will do it's investigation, and that's good because that's why you pay for insurance, but I'm perplexed on this whole situation.

And to ask individuals to pay for a copy of the report is ridiculous. And PF police are lazy. Just my opinion.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:43 PM

People have accidents all the time with neither party cited. It's more common than accidents where a citation is involved. However, once the insurance company steps in they generally find someone at fault. It depends on the state, if there is no fault. Sometimes there is even degrees of fault. But generally speaking, it's common for no citations to be issued and someone to be eventually deemed at fault. Bear in mind that I look at about 10 accident history reports and motor vehicle records a day and throughout the country.

Sorry this happened to you. (((Hugs!))))

Old 07-31-2013, 10:46 AM

148 posts, read 305,362 times
Quote:
Thanks to both of you!

The insurance company is not saying who is at fault; rather the police officer said that he has to get both stories and come to a conclusion and decide if anyone is cited.

But what I don't understand is how can the police officer say one individual is at fault, and cite them, without giving them a ticket or citation at the scene?

And then, to top it all off, if you want a copy of an accident report, you have to pay for it? What??
You don't automatically get a copy of the report, unless you file a claim with your insurance company.

This is frustrating to the max.....

Just thought of this. I do not know if this works here, but in Virginia when my sister was in her accident, she got her copy of the report from the insurance company, which the insurance company got from the police. Maybe your insurance could do the samne. I was reading further that article and $4 is cheap compared to California which charges $23 and in Wisconsin you have to go thru the District's Attorny's office. Seems like nothing can be made simple or cheap.....

Old 08-01-2013, 01:04 PM

358 posts, read 999,381 times
I am so confused by this thread that I think the best thing for me is to just keep backing into my daughter's vehicle in my driveway...which, for a while, I was doing regularly! BUT I thought all accident reports came at a cost but couldn't prove it and don't know why I got that idea. Hope everything works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: