Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to Tremont in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park? I know where Tremont is located physically within the park but I'd like to know where in Tremont butterflies can be seen. Can anyone help? I was told there are many of them near the nature center but as you can see from this site map, no single building at Tremont is called the nature center.

There is a site map of the Great Smoky Mountains Institute of Tremont here:

http://www.gsmit.org/downloads/Tremo...mpus%20Map.pdf

If you have been to Tremont in August or September, and you've seen a lot of butterflies near one of the buildings on this site map, can you tell me which building? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
I know people who have been working on the areas all around Tremont and Suarlands but have never heard of what you are asking when they discuss their work. The Tremont center is an education center (aka Nature Center) but the butterfly tagging that occasionally makes the news is done in Cades Cove, with classes and meetings at Tremont. Maybe that is where the confusion comes from?

Here's an example:Monarch Tagging and Butterfly Inventory — Citizen Science Central

Old 08-10-2013, 05:59 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
My "office" * is beside the creek above Tremont and while I've noticed plenty of butterflies I don't know enough about them to think it is out of the ordinary.

* before anyone gets too excited let me explain that my office consists of a folding chair and table and a week's worth of paperwork.

The best display of Monarch butterflies I've seen is at a small round pond near the Dennis cove campground - Elizabethton area. This was about the time of the rhododendrons bloom on Roan mountain - mid June I believe. Dozens of butterflies on a pond maybe 40' round.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:01 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
To the 2 that replied, thanks.

Last edited by Beretta; 08-11-2013 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Your post shows up in a Google search and the Knoxville forum has more GSMNP readers than the TN forum ;-)

Old 08-11-2013, 04:58 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
I have been to Tremont many, many times over many, many years. There is a facebook page that is devoted to the Monarch tagging at GSMNP! J & Em has a good response and this article is also good. Field Excursions: Citizen science fun at Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont | Nooga.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville