Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:08 AM

358 posts, read 994,180 times

Advertisements

We're going to the mountains for the holidays and renting a cabin. We want a traditional T'giving dinner but don't want to drag everything along we'd need to cook it. Does anyone have any experience with buying a complete dinner; i.e., a grocery deli, etc.? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 10:57 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,380,256 times
Heck all you need's a turkey and a deep fryer!

Old 11-14-2007, 11:00 AM

185 posts, read 751,843 times
Smile Sounds wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
We're going to the mountains for the holidays and renting a cabin. We want a traditional T'giving dinner but don't want to drag everything along we'd need to cook it. Does anyone have any experience with buying a complete dinner; i.e., a grocery deli, etc.? Thanks for the help.
My family and I did that years ago in Vermont. We took mom, pop, kids, and friends. We made the mistake of expecting Turkey and all the trimmings at this cute restaurant, but got hardly any of the trimmings. I can still remember mom complaining about how little cranberry sauce they gave us. But we still had fun and still have the memories.

We decided after that trip to cook our own bird on Turkey Day. Have a great time! Nothing compares to being in the mountains w/family on Thanksgiving.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:02 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,071,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
Most cabins are equipped with all your cooking utensils at least the ones i've stayed in were. Can never go wrong with just going out for dinner though then you don't even have to clean up.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:02 AM

185 posts, read 751,843 times
Thumbs up There ya go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Heck all you need's a turkey and a deep fryer!
I like your style!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:42 PM

661 posts, read 2,886,026 times
I know years ago Kroger had a complete dinner that you ordered ahead of time. We used to get it in order to have something resembling leftovers after going to my Dad's for Turkey Day. It was pretty good and the price wasn't bad.

If you're feeling extravagant, Fresh Market has two versions. The bare bones basic is $70. Then there's the one with all the trimmings......$$$$$$.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:25 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,700,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
I know years ago Kroger had a complete dinner that you ordered ahead of time. We used to get it in order to have something resembling leftovers after going to my Dad's for Turkey Day. It was pretty good and the price wasn't bad.

If you're feeling extravagant, Fresh Market has two versions. The bare bones basic is $70. Then there's the one with all the trimmings......$$$$$$.
I'd like to second that. Fresh Market has fantastic ready-made Thanksgiving dinners with all the fixings. While it's not cheap, it's convenient and delicious. Unfortunately, Fresh Market isn't up in the mountains, so you'll have to transport everything up to the cabin all the way from Knoxville and have to endure the heavenly aroma of Thanksgiving dinner in your car...

Old 11-14-2007, 03:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,029,539 times
Did someone say "grocery store?"

Here's the link for Fresh Market:

http://http://www.freshmarket.com/Inspirations/inseason_holidaymeals.html (broken link)

Also, Super Target's looks WONDERFUL and a real deal, to boot. However, it would be quite a ride, I imagine.

http://http://sites.target.com/site/...questid=121724

Old 11-14-2007, 03:53 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,700,756 times
A couple of weeks ago I was lucky to be in Fresh Market when they were giving away free Thanksgiving lunches to anyone who happened to be there. I mean it was samples of all their Thanksgiving courses, not a sit-down lunch, ranging from the turkey to the various stuffings and the different vegetables, rolls, and the DESSERTS. They had several buffet tables set up throughout the store. I stuffed myself silly. It sure made me wish I had the money to just order a ready-made Thanksgiving dinner from Fresh Market.

But I have to say, part of the joy (to me) of Thanksgiving is doing all the cooking and having that heavenly aroma of turkey and stuffing fill the entire house for hours on Thanksgiving morning, the pumpkin pies the day before Thanksgiving, and of course the homemade yeast rolls hot out of the oven right before sitting down to a beautiful spread with family and loved ones.

Like the original post, I'm spending Thanksgiving up in the Smoky Mountains with my brothers and their families at our family cabin. I think having to lug the food up to the cabin is a small price to pay for the joy of cooking together as a family and enjoying the incredible beauty of the mountains at this special time of the year.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:19 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,631,111 times
A couple of other suggestions. S&S Cafeteria offers turkeys and sides.
S S Cafeteria Home cooked food
There's one in Knoxville. Food is down home and good.
There are also two honey-baked ham stores in Knoxville. You can get turkeys of various sizes and chose the sides you want.
HoneyBaked - Whole Turkey
And some restaurants in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge
Gatlinburg Restaurant Open Thanksgiving Day for Thanksgiving Dinner, Smoky Mountains TN (broken link)
Applewood Farmhouse Restaurants - Stokely Catering - Thanksgiving (http://www.applewoodfarmhouserestaurant.com/news/show/8 - broken link)
Have a good turkey day, whatever you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville