Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:16 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys and Gals - we live in Tampa, FL... moved here from Alaska about 3 years ago. Absolutely love it here but the daily thunderstorms and high humidity in the summer is causing a lot of pain in my wife's back which has arthritis. She went to Alaska this summer and the pain stopped but when she returned so did the pain....so she's confident its the storms and humidity here that is causing her pain.

We visited the Smokies (Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg) this early summer. We liked being around mountains and streams again and enjoyed that the people were a little more 'down home' like they are in Alaska. My wife thinks she would like to live in TN and we think if we lived in East TN there would be less humidity and storms than there is here.

Any suggestions for town where one could live? My job skill set is as a Business Analyst for the Finanical, Insurance or Technology industries. Also a SharePoint Administrator. We also have 3 kids, all school age. (I am not concerned about the quality of schools, because my wife stays home and will help supplement their education as needed.)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 06:36 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Knoxville. Best bet for jobs, schools are excellent - stick with the western portion of the city - and it is a hop, skip and a jump to the Smokys. I used to live in Florida - I remember you from the Florida forums - and although there is humidity here, it does not come close to Florida. If you are in West Tennessee it can be compared to North Florida, of course. I used to live in Southwest Florida and after living in Knoxville for the past eight years I can tell you that this is a vast improvement, weather-wise and other.

Good luck on your search!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Knoxville. Best bet for jobs, schools are excellent - stick with the western portion of the city - and it is a hop, skip and a jump to the Smokys. I used to live in Florida - I remember you from the Florida forums - and although there is humidity here, it does not come close to Florida. If you are in West Tennessee it can be compared to North Florida, of course. I used to live in Southwest Florida and after living in Knoxville for the past eight years I can tell you that this is a vast improvement, weather-wise and other.

Good luck on your search!
Silly question, but I suppose it would be safe to assume that a lot less storms move in and Knoxville area does not experience daily thunderstorms?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:20 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Silly question, but I suppose it would be safe to assume that a lot less storms move in and Knoxville area does not experience daily thunderstorms?
Sometimes we do in the summer but it isn't like clockwork, like Florida. Also, the severity of those storms are nothing like Florida's. I kind of miss those storms, to be honest.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Sometimes we do in the summer but it isn't like clockwork, like Florida. Also, the severity of those storms are nothing like Florida's. I kind of miss those storms, to be honest.
We love the storms too but the fronts and the low pressure supposedly contributes to the pain.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:07 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
East Tennessee seems to get less severe weather than does middle and west Tennessee. We do however get humidity and storms frequent enough to possibly bother some one who is sensitive to it. Maybe you should spend a couple weeks here in the summer and see if it bothers her arthritis. I am sure Tennessee is a big mprovement over florida but have you considered the Rocky mountain west??? No humidity out there.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:51 AM

394 posts, read 794,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Maybe you should spend a couple weeks here in the summer and see if it bothers her arthritis.
Exactly what I thought when I read the original post.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Hi Guys and Gals - we live in Tampa, FL... moved here from Alaska about 3 years ago. Absolutely love it here but the daily thunderstorms and high humidity in the summer is causing a lot of pain in my wife's back which has arthritis. She went to Alaska this summer and the pain stopped but when she returned so did the pain....so she's confident its the storms and humidity here that is causing her pain.

We visited the Smokies (Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg) this early summer. We liked being around mountains and streams again and enjoyed that the people were a little more 'down home' like they are in Alaska. My wife thinks she would like to live in TN and we think if we lived in East TN there would be less humidity and storms than there is here.

Any suggestions for town where one could live? My job skill set is as a Business Analyst for the Finanical, Insurance or Technology industries. Also a SharePoint Administrator. We also have 3 kids, all school age. (I am not concerned about the quality of schools, because my wife stays home and will help supplement their education as needed.)

Thanks
Since you have already been to the area this year your wife got an idea of how beautiful it can be here. Just understand that, depending on when you actually came to visit, you may have experienced somewhat cooler weather than we have been getting in the last decade. It still doesn't equal the heat feel of Tampa even at its warmest. This has been a humid and relatively cool summer with more rain than we normally get in a whole year already on the ground by the Fourth of July.

For jobs like yours the chances are better in Knoxville but it is not in the mountains like Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are. It is in a long and wide valley north of the mountains and south of the Cumberland Plateau. You could commute from closer to the mountains, where it does stay a little cooler, to Knoxville.

An example of a good town that might cover what both of you need is Maryville, which is south of Knoxville. Maryville is in the foothills of the Smokies and if you head south of that it becomes rural and wooded with ridges and mountain views like the ones you saw on vacation earlier this year. Whenever I've been to Knoxville I note that the temperature is always a few degrees cooler here than anywhere up there. It generally takes 35 minutes ( or less) to get to most of Knoxville and West Knox/Farragut from the areas closest to the mountains in this county, rush hour might add 10-12 minutes depending on where you drive to and when you leave.

Maryville has most of the shopping needs your wife could want for day to day living with several grocery stores, 2 Walmarts, Home Dept and Lowes as well as lots of smaller places. If you live even closer to the mountains your trip may be up to 15 minutes to town. Knoxville is an easy drive for anything else.

The city of Maryville (it is officially a city but looks like a medium sized town) has very good schools and everyone I have met with school aged children seems to be very happy with the education quality. Those who live outside of town in the county areas have less money going onto school (much less taxes) and it shows. The schools are not bad but do not have the reputation of city schools in Maryville, Knoxville or Oak Ridge. We no longer have school aged kids to worry about so I can't speak to how good or bad it is from personal experience.

Good luck with your search for a better place to live.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:58 AM

We visited in the middle of June so it was still pretty cool. Maybe I can get my work to let me work a week or two remotely while we check out the area more. Not too interested in Colorado. It's expensive there and too long of a winter for us.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:18 AM

25 posts, read 131,309 times
Consider Northern Michigan, near Traverse City; you have beautiful views of the bay and a great culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville