Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 AM

52 posts, read 96,113 times

Advertisements

I have been reading a lot of the post on here for a while and decided to finally post and ask those of you that live in east Tennessee what you really think about it and the area you live in. Also are there any certain areas that you think are nice, friendly, close to fun family things to do, and are good for raising a family? My husband is from middle Tennessee and we just moved back here at the end of last year. I told him I would give his home town ( Murfreesboro ) a chance .... Lol .... Murfreesboro is ok but I have always been drawn to east Tennessee. I think its very beautiful, has lots of fun things to do, and it gives me and my husband both a peaceful relaxing feeling. We are planning to visit different areas on the east side and hope to find a place that we can call home. My husband wants to check out the tri-city area ( mainly Bristol ) to see what it is like and what it has to offer. The Smoky Mountains is at the top of my list We want to live on the out skirts of a big city but no where that is so small that it has absolutely nothing. We like the country feel but city convenience. I have read and heard some good things about Maryville and Soddy Daisy. We are planning on checking them out in a couple of weeks. I would really like to hear from some of you east Tennessee folks and would really appreciate any information you can give me. Thank you for your time and have a bless day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 12:22 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Hello! Glad you stopped lurking and posted. I, myself live in the Fountain City area of Knoxville. This area is unique in that it used to a small town on the outskirts of Knoxville, until it was annexed in back in the 60's. It still retains its small town feel/vibe, yet I am close to everything and in Knoxville too. It is the best of both worlds. Now Fountain City area is pretty spread out, but I am up behind the duck pond. If you get a chance to check it out, I don't think you'll regret it.
All the best to you in your search,
Pam

Old 10-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Thank you .... I cant wait for our visit to east Tenn. And I will have to check out Fountain City. I'm sure we will be making a few trips until we find the right place for us .... Lol .... We have talked about the tri-city area ( Bristol ) but we really dont know anything about it. And we are really drawn to the Smoky Mountains. We love going on vacation to Gatlinburg, and seeing all the other areas around it. I would love to live no more than 2 maybe 2 1/2 hours from there. Thank you for replying to my post.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:47 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
You might want to post in the tri-cities forum also.
Maybe include a bit of info about needs for schools, jobs, healthcare, housing budget, and maybe what you consider fun family things. For instance Knoxville has a zoo, big college football, big name concerts, etc that the tri-cites can't offer, but we do have local sports teams, free or cheap local concerts and festivals and that sort of thing.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:55 PM

Sorry if I confused anyone by posting in here about different areas in East Tenn. This is my first time to post so please bare with me .... Lol .... I really do find east Tenn to be breath taking. I love the mountain views and beautiful waterfalls. Me and my family enjoy the aquarium , zoo , caves , flea markets , festivals , antique shops , museums , parks , site seeing , and so much more. We enjoy doing things in Gatlinburg and around that area. I know I mention tri- cities and Soddy Daisy but the more my husband and I talk about the out skirts of the Smoky Mountains are at the top of our list. We want to look at areas like Maryville that are no more than 2 to 2 1/2 hours from Gatlinburg. We are home schooling our kids so schools don't matter. My husband has been in sales for a long time but he could do just about anything. He is a hard worker and has always been able to find a job that fits him. Of course we would have that lined up first before moving any where. I'm really excited and cant wait to check out more of east

Old 10-29-2013, 01:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shylady7 View Post
I have been reading a lot of the post on here for a while and decided to finally post and ask those of you that live in east Tennessee what you really think about it and the area you live in. Also are there any certain areas that you think are nice, friendly, close to fun family things to do, and are good for raising a family? My husband is from middle Tennessee and we just moved back here at the end of last year. I told him I would give his home town ( Murfreesboro ) a chance .... Lol .... Murfreesboro is ok but I have always been drawn to east Tennessee. I think its very beautiful, has lots of fun things to do, and it gives me and my husband both a peaceful relaxing feeling. We are planning to visit different areas on the east side and hope to find a place that we can call home. My husband wants to check out the tri-city area ( mainly Bristol ) to see what it is like and what it has to offer. The Smoky Mountains is at the top of my list We want to live on the out skirts of a big city but no where that is so small that it has absolutely nothing. We like the country feel but city convenience. I have read and heard some good things about Maryville and Soddy Daisy. We are planning on checking them out in a couple of weeks. I would really like to hear from some of you east Tennessee folks and would really appreciate any information you can give me. Thank you for your time and have a bless day
Searched for 3 years, eliminated Nashville and the area and settled in Seymour just South of Knoxville.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I looked in the Tri-Cities first, before moving here, and the jobs weren't very plentiful. That was in 2005, during the economic boom, and I think that speaks volumes.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:35 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shylady7 View Post
Sorry if I confused anyone by posting in here about different areas in East Tenn. This is my first time to post so please bare with me .... Lol .... I really do find east Tenn to be breath taking. I love the mountain views and beautiful waterfalls. Me and my family enjoy the aquarium , zoo , caves , flea markets , festivals , antique shops , museums , parks , site seeing , and so much more. We enjoy doing things in Gatlinburg and around that area. I know I mention tri- cities and Soddy Daisy but the more my husband and I talk about the out skirts of the Smoky Mountains are at the top of our list. We want to look at areas like Maryville that are no more than 2 to 2 1/2 hours from Gatlinburg. We are home schooling our kids so schools don't matter. My husband has been in sales for a long time but he could do just about anything. He is a hard worker and has always been able to find a job that fits him. Of course we would have that lined up first before moving any where. I'm really excited and cant wait to check out more of east
Nah, just thought you might get a few more responses from people there that may not check the Knoxville forum. But if you enjoy museums, the zoo, etc on a regular basis you are probably better sticking closer to Knoxville than the tri-cities. Lots of people there go to Gatlinburg and the Knoxville zoo but it's more of a planned weekend trip rather than just a spur of the moment kind of thing. One of the few things I enjoyed about living in Memphis was the ability to spend a few hours with the kids at the zoo, just whenever, without having to make a big production out of it, lol. One of the perks of living in or near a nice sized city, and one of the few things I miss living here in the tri.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
I like Chattanooga a lot. Plenty of things to do there. Lookout Mountain. Point Park. Rock City. A nice fixed up downtown. A very impressive aquarium. Atlanta's just a couple hours away if you ever want to go to the big city for a weekend. Not so close to the Smokies National Park, but no shortage of mountain recreation.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 PM

Exactly .... I just wanted to ask east Tennessee people their thoughts on where they live , and thought I would ask about the areas we are interested. We got our kids grown and got surprised with 2 more. They are 4 and 5 now and we try to get out and do things with them. They are a joy and a blessing. They keep us on our toes .... Lol .... We have been to Lookout Mountain and the Chattanooga aquarium a few times. It is very nice. We also enjoyed ourselves in Gatlinburg. I can see my family living some where in the middle. I cant wait for our visit to the areas we are interested. What is it about the Smoky Mountains that make it feel so peaceful? Just riding and looking at the beautiful mountains take my breath away. I feel so relax. Nice feeling after a long day of chasing little ones around and home schooling them .... Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville