Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tennessee: Knoxville, cost of living, crime rate,

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:57 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times

Advertisements

[quote=JMT;2144701] I blame the people who buy into those developments. After all, if no one were buying, the developers wouldn't be developing.QUOTE]

That doesn't make sense at all. Who came first, the developers or the buyers. The developers are playing a gamble themselves hoping things sell. First blame the people in charge of the city/town hall to approve such developments. If it wasn't for them approving it, it wouldn't exist. Then you can blame the developers for putting things together. Then if you must still blame someone after them, i guess it's the buyers but i guess somebody has to take the blame in the end. But hey, the more i read about how people of TN hate these developments coming in, it seems almost as if people who buy in these developments are not going to be well liked in TN simply because of where they choose to live. Let me remind you, i bought in a subdivision (not an advertised one as i actually found it by accident while driving around) and it has over 8 acres on my lot alone and all the others have 1 acre up to 6 acres so it's not like our neighbors are on top of each other and we can even have farm animals if we want. Imagine that, a subdivsion that allows farm animals. Who would have imagined that. Point being, nobody can classify all subdivisions as being the same because it's just not like that. From what i'm reading quite a bit on this forum, people should not be classified "stupid, scammed or ripped off" if they decided to buy into a subdivision. In realty, it's nobody's business who is buying what, for how much, where and why.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:00 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
-this is for mbmouse- an always new episode of the Care Bears show.
Huh????

Old 12-02-2007, 01:19 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Huh????
I answered your PM. That was a reference to a former poster characterizing our forum as akin to a Care Bears show where everything is wonderful and good

Old 12-04-2007, 09:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Decided to drop by the forum tonite, taking a break from baking and boy have I missed some stuff!
This thread sounds a whole lot like what we're going through in MT right now. Almost the same verbage and sentiment on the MT forum to a "T", it's almost scary!!!!
Hopefully our house will sell soon so we can come see y'all!

Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Wink Glad to see you posting and not baking.

Hey, jimj, we've missed you. Pass the cookies around, please. We've been working up an appetite.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:43 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Decided to drop by the forum tonite, taking a break from baking and boy have I missed some stuff!
This thread sounds a whole lot like what we're going through in MT right now. Almost the same verbage and sentiment on the MT forum to a "T", it's almost scary!!!!
Hopefully our house will sell soon so we can come see y'all!
Hey Jim,

We're keeping our fingers crossed for your house sale up there. We hope to see you soon!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
We are in the process of changing agents to one that will actually market our house properly. I have a good feeling about this guy, he's the first that's been honest in showing and telling us how our price was too high for current market conditions if we want it to sell.
I had left the OP up on the screen and my wife walked by and stopped to read it and I thought she was going to wet her pants laughing! We left NC for the reasons posted above and have stayed away from GA for the same reason but have found it's happening everywhere including here except the massive influx of east coasters but that's starting to change as well.

My new agent just happened to tell me he has a newly retired NYPD guy who is looking to move here so my comment was "as long as he leaves his NY attitudes there he'll be fine", those attitudes don't play very well here at all since like y'all we don't tolorate fast,fast,fast I want it now types.

Anyway, I now have to start baking mini liquor pound cakes and more cookies. We make boxes of goodies instead of buying presents.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:45 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
[quote=daniellefort;2146905]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I blame the people who buy into those developments. After all, if no one were buying, the developers wouldn't be developing.QUOTE]

That doesn't make sense at all. Who came first, the developers or the buyers. The developers are playing a gamble themselves hoping things sell. First blame the people in charge of the city/town hall to approve such developments. If it wasn't for them approving it, it wouldn't exist.
Sorry, but if no one were buying in these developments, the developers would be out of business.

If a gas station down the block charges double for a gallon of gas what everyone else charges but advertises its services to out-of-staters, is it that gas station's fault that the out-of-staters drive by the cheaper gas in order to buy the expensive gas? That would be absurd.

No one is forced to buy property they don't want or can't afford. If a shady developer is able to talk unsuspecting out-of-staters into giving him their money, it's not the developer's fault. Ultimately, it's the responsibility of the buyer to beware. Not the other way around.

And don't forget that many of these developments are in counties that don't have zoning ordinances or county planning commissions.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:31 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
The town of Spring Hill, a Nashville suburb and Tennessee's fastest-growing city during much of the last 10-15 years, did away with property taxes in favor of impact fees that developers paid. Well, with the housing slump, Spring Hill all of a sudden finds itself in a financial crisis. I think it was a huge mistake on their part to rely on impact fees because it meant the only way the city could fund itself was to have rampant development. It was a recipe for disaster.
Oh it'd be great if the city went bankrupt. Then they could all gather around the Home Depot that's in the center of town and meet to figure out what to do. OR they could get in their SUVs, and drive across the street to the new Super Target and ask all the people waiting in excitement for the ugly thing to open and get some opinions there.

I'm sorry, I saw the disaster coming for them a few years ago when I was in college writing about the "planning" they were engaging in... the way those in charge danced around it made me realize that they had no idea what was about to happen.

I'm pretty sure the article I wrote stated something like a 23 cent/ $100 property tax, and this was in 2003. I'm not sure if they did away with it totally or just kept it extremely low. But now they're screwed because no one is going to pay anything comparable to other areas.

*shrugs* Oh well, I think it's hilarious.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:35 AM

358 posts, read 999,606 times
JMT said: "Ultimately, it's the responsibility of the buyer to beware. Not the other way around."

I agree but then people taking (or I should say NOT taking) personal responsibility is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

DanielleFort said: "In realty, it's nobody's business who is buying what, for how much, where and why."

In reality, it IS my business b/c people buying places they can't afford and should never have gotten mortgaged are now being foreclosed and/or filing bankruptcy which, in the long run, will cost ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville