Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tennessee: Knoxville, cost of living, crime rate,

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:41 PM

23 posts, read 70,569 times

Advertisements

I live in Seymour, just up 411 from Maryville. You can see my view on my horse website horizonfarmsporthorses dot com . Below us a beautiful farm was sold and subdivided. I cried. Now, almost every morning I send love coursing down through the valley in my morning meditation...imagining it covering all those homes. I cannot change it, I still have my mountain view, so why not do something positive.

I left west Knoxville - the place where I rode my horse down I-40 while it was being built - never knowing as a child how it would change the land I so loved. Change comes. We can bless it or curse it. It will still come.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:52 PM

10 posts, read 22,178 times
This original post made me sad and somewhat hesitant. My husband is up for a job in this area and from all of the research we have done and people we have talked to, we thought it was a wonderful place to live and to raise our family. Now, I have to question it. I don't want to move to someplace that is going to look at me as this OP looks at us transplanted New England people. From what I've seen/heard, that area is a heck of a lot cheaper than where I am right now. But, I've heard that it has the same charm, beautiful views, and people, as the small town in Vermont that I grew up in. I hope someone can give me back my faith in this area, as I was all excited.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:55 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,450,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber8173 View Post
This original post made me sad and somewhat hesitant. My husband is up for a job in this area and from all of the research we have done and people we have talked to, we thought it was a wonderful place to live and to raise our family. Now, I have to question it. I don't want to move to someplace that is going to look at me as this OP looks at us transplanted New England people. From what I've seen/heard, that area is a heck of a lot cheaper than where I am right now. But, I've heard that it has the same charm, beautiful views, and people, as the small town in Vermont that I grew up in. I hope someone can give me back my faith in this area, as I was all excited.
I can't imagine that you would allow one post to form an opinion for you. Use the Search bar and check out all of the other posts on this area. Ultimately, however, your attitude and willingness to acclimate to this, or any other new location, will determine your happiness in that particular locale. If you have a chip on your shoulder from being New Englanders it will show. If you come here, come unencumbered with open and willing arms to immerse yourself into our way of life. In good time your good attributes will be noticed, respected and enjoyed. Do your research, do not move into this or any area without proper expectations. And that doesn't just mean from the financial outlook. Check the weather, the schools, the roads, the commutes, the jobs, the stores (or lack thereof), the recreational and cultural scene, etc. Tennessee is a great state, if you choose for it to be. It is a lousy state if you are set in your ways and don't make the best of your life in it. That advice pretty much goes for any move, except, well maybe a tropical island. Once you are in paradise you need to make sure of when the tequila boat arrives, that the lime tree looks healthy, stuff like that.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,973,579 times
After reading this thread it got me to thinking, when did I get old? My old home town where I grew up is not what it used to be, definately over priced since when I grew up there you could buy a house for less than 50k, crowded, more crime and buildings everywhere. Almost every place we've moved since leaving there has changed since we left with the same outcome as the above. Even the place we live now, out in what most would call the middle of nowhere has gotten more expensive, veiws that were once pristine and empty are now filled with houses (though not as much as other places we've lived yet) and now that I'm looking at moving again and have looked back at places we've been and are thinking of going to I've noticed the rose colored glasses must have broken or been misplaced while I've aged.
Maryville may not be what it once was but all things considered it seems to be much better in many respects to where we are now but I'm sure it's not what it was years ago and that's just something we'll have to accept if we want to be happy.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:24 AM

10 posts, read 22,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I can't imagine that you would allow one post to form an opinion for you. Use the Search bar and check out all of the other posts on this area. Ultimately, however, your attitude and willingness to acclimate to this, or any other new location, will determine your happiness in that particular locale. If you have a chip on your shoulder from being New Englanders it will show. If you come here, come unencumbered with open and willing arms to immerse yourself into our way of life. In good time your good attributes will be noticed, respected and enjoyed. Do your research, do not move into this or any area without proper expectations. And that doesn't just mean from the financial outlook. Check the weather, the schools, the roads, the commutes, the jobs, the stores (or lack thereof), the recreational and cultural scene, etc. Tennessee is a great state, if you choose for it to be. It is a lousy state if you are set in your ways and don't make the best of your life in it. That advice pretty much goes for any move, except, well maybe a tropical island. Once you are in paradise you need to make sure of when the tequila boat arrives, that the lime tree looks healthy, stuff like that.

Thank you for responding. I have done a lot of reserach so far, but nothing is final yet, so if it does happen, we will take a couple of trips down there first. Everything I've read seems really positive. I've been lurking on these posts for a while and didn't feel the need to post until this one. I usually don't let one rude person affect my opinion, but this made me think that maybe this would be common. We are extremely open, kind people, who get along with everyone. I am not sure what people are talking about with the chip on the shoulder for New Englanders. I know that CT, MA, and RI, have a stereotype to them, but I grew up in Vermont, it seems more like TN (believe it or not) as far as values, etc., than a lot of places. The weather seems much different (thankfully), I've heard the Maryville city schools are some of the best around. As far as the jobs, I am a stay-at-home Mom and my husband would have a job before we moved. From what I've read, there are a TON of stores there compared to where we are now! We have to travel 45 minutes to a Walmart (which is painful for me) and have very little restaurants within an hours drive.

I would certainly never expect people around me to adapt to me. If I moved to Italy, I'd learn to be fluent in Italian, not expect the Italians to know English. You know what I mean?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 6,380 times
Default Wow!

The original post made me very sad as well. I have lived all over the US, somewhat of a military brat, but Maryville is by far the best place I've ever lived. I will not disagree that times have changed and I hope we are close to done with our growing pains because I preferred the city a little smaller than what is has grown to now. What many have not discussed is that although the cost of "homes" are more expensive here versus places like Knoxville, there is a reason for that.

Have you driven through Maryville and not noticed the beautiful Greenway that runs from one side of the town to the other? The nice parks that it has for our children or how safe our children are in this town? I'm ok with a police car and church on every corner. There are places where I still feel comfortable allowing my children play. I cannot say that about every town I've lived in. Ok, so now it takes me 20 minutes in the morning to get 10 miles instead of the previous 15 but so what? Try Southeran California where it takes 40 minutes to go 10 miles and the cost of living? Put it this way, housing allowance currently for a family of 4 as an active duty Marine is $1100 in Maryville versus $2100 for North San Diego County. Or the small town in North Carolina where the one Walmart is town is 30 minutes from ANYTHING. Sure you might pay less for your home but you are spending it in gas to get anywhere... and jobs? Good luck!!! The jobs are few and far between and then the pay is 1/3 less of the national average.

I guess what I'm saying is that PERFECT places to live in America are becoming few if not non-existent. If I have my choice, I'll choose safe places for my children and pay a little more.

Good luck in all who are seeking a new place to live. May God guide you in your venture.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:01 AM

7 posts, read 21,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Well i'm glad your doing good HIK. New England is a very expensive place to live and we'll be living with my sister for a while when we do get up there next summer. If i could move to TN now i would but with my daughters special ed, TN schools have nothing to offer her so our next step to to go back with my family and let her attend school with her cousins then move on to TN afterwards. I'm just miserable here in FL and don't think I can stay another 5 years here before we can move to TN. I've been here 14 years and that's long enough.

Those who build developments are doing it for a living too. I know we all hate them in our own way but that's their "career" if you can call it that. There's nothing you can do about it other than petition it and even then it's hard to get enough people to join. You can't blame or be mad at the developers. you have to blame the city or town council who approves them to do it. And this isn't happening just in TN, it's happening everywhere in the U.S. TN just happens to have a lot of open land available which is what these developers are looking for. My little town here in FL went through the same thing a few years ago taking up what open land was left. Now our town has raised impact fees from $8000 to $14,000 for each home and now $22,000 for a SMALL buisiness just to break ground on it which has put a halt to anyone else building or opening a business in the last year. We were supposed to get a Target this year but they backed out when they saw the huge impact fee that would be slapped with (so we're getting a 2nd Walmart instead just 7 miles up the road). Yes there's a lot of people moaning and groaning because we can't grow anymore but there's also those people who are just as happy we can't grow. I'd say it's a 50/50 split down the middle of for and against growth here. Those against it are wanting to vote off the city council on next election to lower the impact fees. That's what TN needs to do if they want to slow growth is start impact fees or increase them if they already exist.

What part of Florida are you from? I have lived here for the past 12 yrs, moved from my home state of Texas........and will hopefully one day be able to leave here as well. We are looking at TN as one of our options, as well as CO, OR and ID.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:32 PM

32 posts, read 70,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southrngal View Post
What part of Florida are you from? I have lived here for the past 12 yrs, moved from my home state of Texas........and will hopefully one day be able to leave here as well. We are looking at TN as one of our options, as well as CO, OR and ID.
I just want this forum to know that i would NEVER in any way desecrate Maryville or any outside communities. I apologize if I mentioned anything that upset anyone in this thread about progress in my town or anywhere else.
I just want to try to get along.
Thank you.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:26 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,450,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster71 View Post
I just want this forum to know that i would NEVER in any way desecrate Maryville or any outside communities. I apologize if I mentioned anything that upset anyone in this thread about progress in my town or anywhere else.
I just want to try to get along.
Thank you.
This thread was started by someone with an agenda. It has run its' course and it is time to close this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville