Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:25 PM

9 posts, read 13,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Do NOT move to South Knoxville if you hate working class people or middle class people who are comfortable with their lot in life.

Leave it for those of us who enjoy an abundance of nature close to downtown.

And what in the world would this mean? Not sure if I should take as an insult or not. I am the working middle class. I was raised in Upper Class. Just because we want to currently live a cheaper lifestyle has nothing to do with liking middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:35 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
It wasn't directed at you at all. There is someone who frequents this blog who doesn't feel S Knoxville lives up to her standards - I thought i'd save her the trouble of disparaging it.

South Knoxville has a great quality of life for the money. Downsides are: minimal shopping opportunities, and there are drug dealers/users sprinkled here and there. (as there are, apparently all over town) Generally not a problem as they tend to prey on each other but it would be a problem if you are put off by crime statistics.

Interestingly, if you were raised upper class you might be comfortable here, as sometimes the upper class often don't worry so much about maintaining an image. Most of the residents are good salt of the earth people - probably more of the appalachian culture than anyplace else in town. There are rich people and some very rich people scattered about , but not the flashy sort.

You will find more people in your age bracket and it seems it would be easier to meet people than in Kodak.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 AM

Thank you Creeksitter for clarifying! Lol. And also more advice. coming from detroit surrounding... crime means nothing to us if you could imagine! we live in a safe neighborhood 30 mins from detroit and ten minutes from port huron (crime ridden heroin addict city). Pot is no big deal as my fiancee has his medical license... which brings me to ask if it will be cancelled as TN is not yet legal for medical marijuana?

Steering away from Kodak now. I do like the tri cities but want to be more closer to the land around the mountains and Gburg. What about downtown gat or PF? I know traffic will be a downside but hopefully could find work close enough to walk or tolley? How many miles about from south knox area to gburg?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:28 PM

I wouldn't advise looking for work in Gatlinburg. Are you in the hospitality industry? You might try Knoxville hotels first but as a backup consider Sevierville. The closer you get to Pigeon Forge the more of a headach traffic will be.

As for just visiting the mountains, personally I prefer Townsend. If you like the Gatlinburg attractions they are very accesible during the off season but I wouldn't advise a job where you are committed to go every day.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 AM

345 posts, read 922,086 times
To the OP:

Hello and glad to hear another 'northerner' is making the move to Tennessee!

I would like to mention a few things, if I may, about the areas you mentioned, primarily Kodak and Sevierville.

First, I lived in Kodak, in fact we rented for about 5 years, then bought a house last year in Sevierville.
Kodak is not some awful horrific place. Yes there are some rural areas that aren't great. Of course there are several areas in Knoxville that aren't great as well. I can name places in every little town here that 'aren't the greatest'.

Second, we chose Kodak because it was halfway between Knoxville and Gatlinburg. We wanted the best of both worlds.

Third, I highly recommend renting the first year you are here. This way you can check out areas you want to buy in. You sure don't want to buy and be stuck and unhappy.

Fourth, yes the traffic in Sevier County can be a nightmare. As well, so can traffic in West Knoxville. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not being truthful. My husband works in Knoxville, and drives on I-40 in rush hour every morning and evening. Traffic in Knoxville is just like any other larger city.

Fifth, Knoxville is amazing! We love visiting there. It is very similar to the city we are originally from in Ohio, which we escaped from, but it's a nice, clean city with friendly folk.

Sixth, Sevierville is a dream for us. We live near a river, see eagles, deer, coyotes, etc., frequently. We get to meet new people constantly! We enjoy meeting people at our regular spots, and tourists are a pain but they keep our property taxes ridiculously low! Besides, you learn the back ways around town and it also tends to slow you down to take the back ways. Life is too short to always be running, and thats why we moved here...to slow down and enjoy life!

Every day I get to drive home from work and see the mountains. It's breathtaking and I never tire of it. I can sit outside (in the summer of course!) and see and hear the river running...and enjoy the quiet, slowed down life. I couldn't do this where I am originally from and I really do appreciate life here.

This comes down to what you and your family want in a place. My suggestion, for what's it's worth, is to rent first. I realize you have a child, so you have to choose wisely.

There are people here who don't care for Sevier County, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. And that's ok, we all get to choose where we want to call home! But don't count out Sevier County based on a few people here who don't like it here. That's all I am saying.

I wish you the best, I realize it's a tough decision. I will say this...do not move here without a job. One of you needs to have work or you will never make it and hate it here. A great job website that I have found is Indeed or Monster.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if I can answer any other questions you may have.

Glad you choose East Tennessee! Hope you love it here as much as we do!!!!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:19 PM

There are some wonderful views in Kodak.

I'll confess i'd got to thinking - the OP is in their mid 20s they want to be where the action is. But I re-read the first post and if they are wanting a trailer in the country that is a more laid back lifestyle.

I am wondering - how does the traffic on 66 compare to 441? The nice thing about S Knox /Seymour (suburban area between Knoxville and Sevierville) is that 441 has fairly light traffic. I've heard it backs up on 66 - has that been solved with the road improvements?

Old 01-22-2014, 04:38 PM

148 posts, read 305,430 times
Quote:

I'll confess i'd got to thinking - the OP is in their mid 20s they want to be where the action is. But I re-read the first post and if they are wanting a trailer in the country that is a more laid back lifestyle.

I am wondering - how does the traffic on 66 compare to 441? The nice thing about S Knox /Seymour (suburban area between Knoxville and Sevierville) is that 441 has fairly light traffic. I've heard it backs up on 66 - has that been solved with the road improvements?

Kodak is more than rt 66. While 66 has its moments I use it a lot to go to Lowes and other places with no problems. There are other routes also other than 66 to get you to places. Just like other cities and towns you have to know the traffic pattern and the alt routes.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:16 AM

345 posts, read 922,086 times
Quote:

Regarding the traffic; the traffic on 66 moves slow in the two lane section that is taking FOREVER for them to redo. I just feel like the company doing the construction doesn't know what they are doing. Once you pass Boyd's Creek, and 66 opens to three lanes, it's smooth sailing until you get into Sevierville where it bottle necks again. Traffic light flow is getting better but the company Sevierville hired to head up that project states it takes them a tremendous amount of time to calculate. Um ok.

Traffic on 441 moves, but I will be honest...it sometimes scares me to death.
It's like driving in the Daytona 500 on some days. And you are suddenly cruising along at 50 mph when everyone is hitting their brakes due to someone turning. I travel this route more often than taking I-40 to exit 407, and while I will say it's nice because there is every amenity you could need on that road, it's stop and go, traffic light, speed weavers, etc.

So you can go the slow and steady route...or the Indy 500 route. LOL!

If I was looking for 'action', and wanted to be close to Sevier County, I'd probably choose Seymour or that area of Sevier County, off 441. There are some views that are simply breathtaking. If I was looking for action, and didn't honestly care where I was, I'd choose Knoxville.

I got the impression they wanted to stay near or in Sevier County.

And Richard is right, there is so much more to Kodak than 66. Our close friends live in Kodak. We live in Sevierville. We can walk out to the bank of the French Broad and wave at them, they are that close. The downfall is the bridge is on 66.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 PM

Sorryits been a few days. My fiancees uncle suddenly passed. Well we have it down to a house in Farragut. Totally different than all we have previously mentioned lol but we found what we like and a bit closer to Knoxville. The PG and Gburg area will just be fun things for us to do on weekends as we get situated! Thank you all for the advice and maybe one day will run into yall!

Old 01-29-2014, 06:16 AM

That's great. There will be plenty of job opportunities in West Knoxville.

Gburg and PF are quite enjoyoble during the off season and the merchants will be happy to see you then. During the peak season you might consdier Townsend and Tellico Plains for a mountain experience. Very little commercial development but the mountains are just as beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville