Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:49 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times

Advertisements

We're house hunting again. We've noticed a ton of houses for sale on Cecil Ave. in Knoxville. Is it a bad neighborhood? Anyone know about the area? Is it because it is near the railroad tracks?
Any information anyone has will be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
We're house hunting again. We've noticed a ton of houses for sale on Cecil Ave. in Knoxville. Is it a bad neighborhood? Anyone know about the area? Is it because it is near the railroad tracks?
Any information anyone has will be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Pam
I'd steer clear of Cecil. I live not too far from there. North of Cecil is fine, south of Cecil is iffy. And you're right about the RR tracks, you'll be hearing trains all day and all night.

A few months ago there was a rather grizzly murder of a young couple from West Knox who were abducted while partying downtown. The murder took place in a rental house just off Cecil.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:00 PM

JMT,
Thanks for the info. That explains the large numbers of houses for sale on that street.
Pam

Old 12-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
JMT,
Thanks for the info. That explains the large numbers of houses for sale on that street.
Pam
Hey Pam, just north of Cecil is great. I live about a half-mile or so north of Cecil. I was out of the country for a month earlier in the summer. I accidentally left my front door open while I was gone, and not a thing happened to my house. I would not hesitate to recommend looking around my neighborhood. Check houses on Washington Pike, Edgewood, Belvoir, Fairmont, Whittle Springs.

What exactly are you looking for? Maybe I can help. I love my neighborhood.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:54 PM

JMT,
Is saying I'm looking for my dream house for a reasonable price to general? We used to live up Washington Pike at Washington Ridge apartments. Whittle Springs area has alot of older developements from the 50's and 60's doesn't it?
We are just looking for a one level 2 bedroom home that is like a cottage or bungalow. I tend to like the style of the 40's or Craftman style homes in the looks department. Bill tends to like ranches more as long as he can have a garage for his workshop, he'd be happy. We're not looking for the house to be on much property as we can't maintain it. Maybe a fenced in back yard for the dogs all in the 70,000-85,0000 range.
Last year we found a Sears house on Coker Ave that I just adored, but when we heard that Coker Ave. had alot of drug traffic coming in, we walked away. But I would love to move back to East town, the shopping and all the conveniences of Knoxville are sorely missed out here in Dandridge.
Pam

Old 12-01-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
JMT,
Is saying I'm looking for my dream house for a reasonable price to general? We used to live up Washington Pike at Washington Ridge apartments. Whittle Springs area has alot of older developements from the 50's and 60's doesn't it?
We are just looking for a one level 2 bedroom home that is like a cottage or bungalow. I tend to like the style of the 40's or Craftman style homes in the looks department. Bill tends to like ranches more as long as he can have a garage for his workshop, he'd be happy. We're not looking for the house to be on much property as we can't maintain it. Maybe a fenced in back yard for the dogs all in the 70,000-85,0000 range.
Last year we found a Sears house on Coker Ave that I just adored, but when we heard that Coker Ave. had alot of drug traffic coming in, we walked away. But I would love to move back to East town, the shopping and all the conveniences of Knoxville are sorely missed out here in Dandridge.
Pam
Hey Pam, it sounds like you and I like the same kinds of houses. Craftsman style homes in this area are a bit more expensive, unfortunately. I have a 1947 cottage and LOVE it. Hardwood floors, high ceilings, big windows.

You're right about the conveniences in this part of town. Kroger and Food City are just a couple of minutes away in one direction, and about 5 minutes in the other direction are Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, and of course Knoxville Center Mall. Yet this part of town is nice and quiet, lots of little neighborhood parks and a lot of pride in these old homes.

here are some listings you might want to check out in case you haven't already. A couple might be a tad over your price range.

Single Family Home - 2111 Belvoir Avenue, Knoxville, TN, 37917 - Realtor.com

Single Family Home - 3702 Fairway Rd, Knoxville, TN, 37917 - Realtor.com

Single Family Home - 2405 TECOMA, KNOXVILLE, TN, 37917 - Realtor.com

Single Family Home - 2304 Fairmont, Knoxville, TN, 37917 - Realtor.com

Single Family Home - 2525 Sandra Ave, knoxville, TN, 37917 - Realtor.com

Old 12-01-2007, 02:00 PM

252 posts, read 1,071,523 times
JMT, I love to look at the listings you put on here of houses in good areas, it is hard when you are so faraway trying to imagine these places.......And from experience I realize that they don't look at good online as they do in person. This way we get an idea of the nicer areas. Wondering if I could trouble you to do some more neighborhoods in nice areas on the rest of the city....West, South, and East.

I also love the older craftsman style houses, I got to tell you that the one on Tecoma Avenue pulled at my heart strings.......I was born in house that looked identical to that, only the living room windows(I am assuming the bay) was located on the opposite side.......! I am also needing to be 100,000 or less and since it is just me not alot of square footage.

I am so confused about Knoxville vs Kingsport I could cry......lol.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:04 PM

252 posts, read 1,071,523 times
Default Oops!

I got the wrong house, lol. I went back and looked at it to put in my favorites and guess what I gave you the wrong listing.........It is the one on 2304 Fairmont. I am wondering if the picture is anything like the house. Sorry for the mistake.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:20 PM

JMT,
Hey thanks for those listings! I've spent almost all afternoon looking on KnoxHomes.com.
I know the craftman style houses are more pricey. I just love the soul of an older home.There aren't any substitutes for Crown moldings, wonderful woodwork, hardwood floors and charm and character. I just need to convince Bill to think the same way...
Before I moved to Tn. I lived in a historic area in upstate NY, I've always had 100 plus year old homes. Living here the last year has found us living in very modern places all under 10 years old. I miss the sloped floors, wavy glass in the windows and the creaks and squeaks of an older home. I miss the character and charm.
I know we'll find a house we can both live with. Thanks again for the listings I do appreciate them.
Pam

Old 12-01-2007, 06:02 PM

Ummm, Squirrel?
Having a bad day? What exactly was it I said that annoyed you?
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville