Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 AM

394 posts, read 790,280 times

Advertisements

Moved here in 2010 and haven't met a "fanatic" yet. I spent almost 5 years investigating the area before moving and never met one in that time either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 03:30 PM

745 posts, read 1,711,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassNorth View Post
What occurs to me is that conflict follows you. Every thread you post in results in conflict with another member. Why is that?
With all due respect, that could be applied to you as well, as some of your posts have been controversial as well.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:11 PM

95 posts, read 177,084 times
So sharing my views and experiences while living here is controversial? I guess it might appear that way when it doesn't align with the views of some on here.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:35 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,384,574 times
I'm irreligious in Tennessee and here's my take. First off, Tennessee is no more uniform than any other state. People self-segregate by race, religion, income, and all the rest just like in the other 49 states. So, it depends where you are exactly. I don't know anything about small town/rural life (they have their own board if you want to talk to them), but here's how it works in cities. Yes, we have a lot of self-identified religious people. So does every state. But, like money and politics, it's not something that most people advertise outright in real life. You have to go to anonymous online discussion boards if you want to discuss anything controversial because nobody wants to have a big kerfuffle face to face and get labelled as the extremist (religious, political, vegetarian, whatever) at work or in the neighborhood. 10 years ago, you used to see a lot of magnetic fish on the backsides of cars, but even those have gone out of style along with bumper stickers. Americans today are VERY avoidant with strangers and even with casual acquaintances. While conversations about sex and body functions are much more ok than they used to be, I wouldn't dream of discussing religion or politics with my neighbors. Only personal finances are more taboo. Maybe among close friends and family, we have these conversations, but it's not worth the hassle to go out and evangelize. Many Christians try to lead by example in hopes that others will notice. Outside of a stray Jehovah's Witness, nobody is going to come knocking on your door. Learn to roll your eyes at the politicians who use religion to justify whatever they want and you should be fine.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,706,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I must be hanging out in the wrong (or right?) places, because I have yet to see someone in a parking lot yelling out Bible verses, and have never had an "in your face" encounter with an overzealous Christian.

Mind you, I have only lived in Knoxville since 1994, so I may be behind the curve a bit.
They would show up to UTK every now and then. Also downtown.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You can make friends in Knoxville.

Also, there are probably as many religious "fanatics" here than anywhere else in the country. I'm from the northeast, lived in Florida, and now Knoxville. Fanatics of any persuasion are everywhere. However, we do have a lot of churches here and I suspect a large amount of people regularly attend church, perhaps more than where you are from. If that is considered fanaticism, then so be it.

I've lived here nine years and not once has anyone asked if I were saved or even invited me to church. When I lived in a very rural area of Knox County we had people that came to the door and sang Christmas carols, then gave my daughter a beautiful sterling ornament. If that is fanaticism, then so be it.

I've attended church here on a regular basis, then didn't, even been an atheist for quite some time. No one cares.

Bear in mind that this is a public forum and you'll get all kinds of answers from all types* of people, even those that put their two-cents in when they've never lived here.

*Some may be completely off the beam.
I lived there and had more than a few people ask "what church you go to", along with the group prayers at work. Been invited a few times, always seem to be cashiers or servers that do this.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie2519 View Post
I've visited Knoxville for three days and had a weird encounter with a religion fanatic .... This lady threatened me just because I told her I was a none believer . Got kicked out of a motel , and no I was not doing anything bad. I'm not saying that TN might not be the only state with fanatics but some states have more or less...don't get me wrong . Met nice people there too and indeed TN is a beautiful state .
TN is a lot of things, but being upfront rude to your face is not one of them. That is not how they generally operate. I find this story hard to believe. If it is true, then the person just had mental issues not related to religion or anything else.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie2519 View Post
I'm planning on moving there from Chicago. I'm a more spiritual type of person. Would this be an issue? And how hard is it to find a decent job ?
Why in the heck are you moving here?

It is not difficult to find a low wage job, like at Walmart or something. Low cost of living helps also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville