Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Congrats on your good phone interview! It's going to be so much easier to help you if you can say what the general vicinity is of the job. It will make a difference if it is Farragut, Oak Ridge or something else. Otherwise, I'm writing reams on scenarios that may not even be the case, and that really isn't fair. Same with counties. I'm not looking for street addresses, just the general area. If it's in Oak Ridge, say Oak Ridge.

As you can see, your assumption about property taxes is flawed. Check Oak Ridge in Anderson County. It's $4.7370. Yet, you could buy a house in Knox County and the property tax would be $2.3200.

http://www.comptroller.tn.gov/pa/LR.asp?W=13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 04:43 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Why not fly and rent a car? Its a 1.5 hour flight to Chicago. Beats spending two days driving back and forth.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:15 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Taxes are high in Oak Ridge because they put a lot of $$$ into the school system. But it doesn't have the rural feel you like.

There are still rural areas in the Karns Community - NW Knox county. Suburbia has been creeping in but hasn't filled in everywhere.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:16 AM

235 posts, read 287,751 times
Location will be at Westbridge Business Park, Wescott Boulevard & Hardin Valley Road. I'll certainly keep the advice about flying in mind, but when I checked prices the other day it was pretty expensive flying out of O'Hare compared to driving. I'd only use about 9 gallons one way, so that comes to $72 to drive. And a nice relaxing drive over scenic, non concrete jungle, non totally flat terrain would be kind of relaxing. I'm not necessarily looking for totally rural i.e. tractors driving down dirt roads, roosters crowing at the crack of dawn, just areas that have things like grass and trees. I'd like a sense of community, where you know your neighbors. As long as it's not near an airport.
I have the property tax rate table, but w/o a detailed map showing county and city boundaries it's not real useful. Residents already know where the demarcation points are.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:57 AM

15 posts, read 22,847 times
If you haven't already, you should check out Frontier Airlines - I got a Kayak alert for fares from Chicago to Knoxville for around $80 R/T, which is pretty unbelievable. And did I understand correctly that you can get 550 miles on only 9 gallons of gas??

Old 07-03-2014, 08:26 AM

Yep. I drive a diesel Passat and it's capable of an honest 60 MPG on the highway.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Karns is super convenient to Westbridge. Going the other direction is Hardin Valley which is more upscale.

Plenty of subdivisions with grass and trees and 1/2 acre - 1 acre lots. If that is enough elbow room for you you'll have plenty of homes to choose from.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:33 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck666 View Post
Location will be at Westbridge Business Park, Wescott Boulevard & Hardin Valley Road. I'll certainly keep the advice about flying in mind, but when I checked prices the other day it was pretty expensive flying out of O'Hare compared to driving. I'd only use about 9 gallons one way, so that comes to $72 to drive. And a nice relaxing drive over scenic, non concrete jungle, non totally flat terrain would be kind of relaxing. I'm not necessarily looking for totally rural i.e. tractors driving down dirt roads, roosters crowing at the crack of dawn, just areas that have things like grass and trees. I'd like a sense of community, where you know your neighbors. As long as it's not near an airport.
I have the property tax rate table, but w/o a detailed map showing county and city boundaries it's not real useful. Residents already know where the demarcation points are.
You just described all of Knoxville. Unless it is the tiny downtown core - although there are trees and some grass - the entire city and county is full of trees. I live in an apartment complex in the city proper and when I look out my window I see a forest with enormous trees. People are incredibly friendly here. Coming from the Midwest, it will be pretty shocking.

Knoxville isn't a city like Chicago, it's not a big city at all. It's a small city that feels more like a large town.

By the way, Hardin Valley is full of trees and will probably feel almost rural to you.

http://geology.com/county-map/tennessee.shtml

Old 07-06-2014, 08:23 AM

Have that much more of an appreciation for small towns after going downstate to visit family over the long weekend. My brother lives in a city of 4400 people and we watched the 4th of July parade. Nice to see ultra conservative rednecks like me aren't limited to the south. The Democrats in the parade were sandwiched between the Korean and Vietnam vets floats and the Tea Party and Republican floats. They looked a little nervous.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:23 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
A couple observations.....
1. Not every one in the south is an "ultra conservative redneck". and,
2. Not all Korean or Vietnam vets are Republican, or ultra conservative.

I can't remember that last time I was on a dirt road in the Knoxville area.

While its great your car gets such great mileage, you should consider what your time is worth. Two full days of driving have got to be worth something.

Good luck with the job, and your move. Spend a little time driving around the area, and you will probably find an area that will fit your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville