Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 9,045 times

Advertisements

I am in Miami and want to make the big move to a GOOD city. (-: I would love to meet all the people I can. I will be looking for a place to live, a place to work, (slaes) . .and just friends in general!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 05:32 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood1960 View Post
I am in Miami and want to make the big move to a GOOD city. (-: I would love to meet all the people I can. I will be looking for a place to live, a place to work, (slaes) . .and just friends in general!
Hi,

How can we help you in your quest? The East Tennessee area is nice!

SMG

Old 01-04-2008, 09:08 AM

How can you help? Very good question! LoL

The best answer I can give . .if you make believe you don’t know anything at all about where you live . .. what about what you DO know would you want to be told?

What are the best areas to live, places to find reasonable rent. Good places to work. Places to shop? Miami is warm! What will I need to be prepared for my first winter, what should I add to my “budget”. LoL I am in sales, and I sell high end appliances in Miami., Is that the best choice in East Tennessee? Or should I look into another company or idea?

I am not retiring on a big nest egg, I am coming out of a divorce and all the baggage surrounding such things. I will have to hit the ground paying my rent. (-: In addition it never huts to look for the opportunity to meet new friends along the way. I like to fish, I am guessing that will look different than it did in my boat 6 miles out in the ocean for example. I am going to be the fish out of water . . .and open to learn new things. I like to play with my camera, and just take pictures of stuff. LoL I believe I will have a whole new world from that aspect!

Soooooo . .. .how can you help? Just talk I suppose. (-: I’ll figure it all out, but every scrap of information is more than I have now. I am looking at the area based on past experiences, 20 years ago . .. (-: What I do remember is I liked the people I met. That stuck with me. Add that I just found the state to be breath taking and beautiful . . cost of living is reasonable . .. it seems like a great place to start over at and build a new life. (-: I am not expecting much!! LoL

Old 01-04-2008, 01:26 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Hi Elwood1960,
Have you read through the posts already written here on the Knoxville forum, TN forum and other sub forums? There is a wealth of info and perspectives from a lot of folks about there home town. It sounds like you are in a place in your life where anything will work to give it a new start, but think about the things you do need on a daily basis, such as commute time, distance to certain stores, if those stores are in which city and so forth. You know you want to be close to water to fish, that is a good start. What else do you need? Read through the posts that are here, see what towns seem to interest you then go from there on any other details you might be looking for.
Hope that helps.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:37 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,387,747 times
Hey hopeless, Knoxville is a great place for you to move to. We are surrounded by 5 beautiful lakes, all within 30 minute drive, and yes, hh greg, and several appl stores are here. Winters here are very mild, just this week, we had a low in the teens, but today back up in low 50's, with next few days in the 60's. Good luck on your new direction in life, and surely you will meet great folks in Knoxville.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:37 PM

I am just beginning to find my way around the board . . . I was reading the crime thing. (-; Cant help but think compared to where I am now it sounds like Disney land. LoL

What I want will depend on what I earn some. In a perfect world . . .nice chunk of land on a lake or next to a stream, no community, no gates . . just a Hodge podge area. In time I would put a log cabin kit on it. (The nice ones that are real homes. Il always did like the feeling of them, I have seen a few.)

I don’t need to be close to stores. And I used to drive 4000 miles a month in my old sales job . ..
So out side of town, blue color community spread out a lot if possible and I know the “lake” is truly wish list stuff. (-:

Old 01-04-2008, 03:53 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood1960 View Post
I am just beginning to find my way around the board . . . I was reading the crime thing. (-; Cant help but think compared to where I am now it sounds like Disney land. LoL

What I want will depend on what I earn some. In a perfect world . . .nice chunk of land on a lake or next to a stream, no community, no gates . . just a Hodge podge area. In time I would put a log cabin kit on it. (The nice ones that are real homes. Il always did like the feeling of them, I have seen a few.)

I don’t need to be close to stores. And I used to drive 4000 miles a month in my old sales job . ..
So out side of town, blue color community spread out a lot if possible and I know the “lake” is truly wish list stuff. (-:
You will definitely think this is Disney World compared to Miami, when it comes to crime.

I think I know what you mean, but I could be wrong, so I would like clarification. What do you mean by "blue" community?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I believe he meant blue collar well at least that is the way I read it.
I believe because I am a bad speller, I am a Good typo reader hehehehe.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Oh! I thought he might mean blue state/red state...

I've been watching to many Obama speeches today!

Yes, we have lots of blue-collar neighborhoods!

Thanks for the save, MBMouse!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:59 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Wink You came to the right place, Elwood1960.

It would probably be a good idea for you, Elwood1960, if you can afford the time, to make a trip up to E. TN for a week or so and visit, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Cookeville, Tri-cities area and the small towns in between. They all offer something special to someone. It depends on your interests and focus.

See what environment seems to beckon you and then concentrate on gathering lots of information from the threads on the forum when you return home.

Over time as you search the City-data forums you will probably find yourself gravitating to a particular area. Visit some more. Be open in your thinking and evaluation and you will find a great new home spot.

We'll be watching for your progress in your posts. Best of everything in your fresh new life.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville