Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 04:15 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,673 times

Advertisements

Fastest Internet speeds.

Bustle

If you’re tired of your slow and spotty Internet connection, maybe you should consider moving to a new state. Broadview Networks released a study on the varying Internet speeds across America, and that states the rank near the top may come as a surprise: Virginia has the fastest Internet speed in the nation, so all of you who live in the Old Dominion can continue to Google easily.

Broadview Networks gathered its findings with help from Akami’s “State of the Internet” report, which looked at Internet connections across the globe. With using that data, the communications company was able to denote which states had the fastest and lowest Internet speeds by measuring megabits per second, or mbps. According to Broadview Networks, the more populated states, such as those in the crowded Northeast, had faster Internet speeds on average than less populated states in the South and the Midwest.

Although Virginia came out on top with an Internet speed of 13.7 mbps, Delaware was not too far behind at 13.1 mbps. Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Washington, D.C. rounded out the top five, while New York, New Jersey, Oregon, Michigan and California ranked within the top 20.

As for the bottom of the list? Well, Alaska has the slowest Internet speed in America, at 7 mbps. Arkansas, Kentucky, Montana and West Virginia round out the top five slowest Internet connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 04:19 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
My family has had Charter in Kingsport for fifteen years or so. I think we got our first cable modem around 1999. I think the max speed there is around 50 mbps now. Service was crappy until the last five years or so without a lot of downtime, but it's been pretty much hassle free since the turn of the decade.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:35 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
We have Charter for internet and it is definitely the fastest home internet we've ever had. It is as fast as I would ever need. I think we've had a couple outages this year, none lasting more than a couple hours here in the Loudon area.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,735 times
I'm in Sev., had Charter for a couple of years... but they kept raising their rates (and their cust. service was a slap in the face)... got so mad, I dropped 'em, in favor of DSL, and DirecTv.
After a few years, I decided to give 'em another chance. Oh, on the phone, they were so nice... promised me the world. But each time the installer bothered to show up, they attempted to get me to write a check... yet, this wasn't part of the deal (I recorded the phone conversation with the rep., specifically because of prior issues).
Long story made short... after 3 install attempts, I cancelled and just stuck with DSL (and don't think there haven't been issues there, either). But what I'm saying is... watch out! They'll say anything to get you... but do little you'll like, to keep you. I think I can promise you that they'll jack up your rates after the first year... 'cause they figure you're hooked. Sure... cable is faster... but I've heard others here have noticed some lag in peak hours.
It's their attitude AFTERWARDS... and the ever increasing rates that I'd warn you about.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:58 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
We've had both Charter and Comcast at different locations in East TN and I have to say that Comcast now Xfinity is our favorite for a variety of reasons. My main issue with Charter was outages. The problem is between the two you don't have a choice once you pick a place to live. Charter was ok, and I would not steer away from it, but we do prefer Xfinity.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:22 AM

16 posts, read 17,946 times
Thank you all for the info I really appreciate it.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:41 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Just to follow up on this subject, there has been a huge outage since yesterday affecting tens of thousands of Charter customers across the eastern US. No word on what has caused the outage. Again, their service instability is my biggest issue with Charter. If I had no choice but to go with them I would definitely never package my phone with them.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:02 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Y'all are so darn lucky.....Yesterday @ 1pm.....
Attached Thumbnails
Questions about Charter Communications Internet-speed-test-3-8.23.2014-1pm.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville