Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:13 PM

12 posts, read 17,167 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am a physical therapy student that will be going out on an 8 week clinical next summer. Although the summer is far away, I have to submit my top choices for clinical location soon. One of the sites available that I was considering is in Knoxville at the University of Tennessee Medical Center. I am willing to drive up to 35 minutes from where I live to the site. Can anyone give thoughts on areas within that radius to look at? My biggest priority is safety. Any apartment complexes or safe neighborhoods known to have rentals will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 09:25 AM

21 posts, read 26,760 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Your best bet for the 8 weeks would be to find a room to rent there won't be any leases unless month to.month for that short..Then you're looking at big deposits and stuff. The link above is for a crime map...as usual stick to the outside of the city. Being further south in town will also give you access to Gatlinburg, pigeon forge..which would be nice for your days off in the summer. TONS TONS TO DO..big tourist area year round..beautiful.. great culture in Knoxville too.

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2014 at 06:55 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 01:49 PM

257 posts, read 489,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieloka View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I just looked at your attachment. Did I read that right - Knoxville is very high crime with 98% of other cities safer?

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2014 at 06:55 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 06:47 PM

21 posts, read 26,760 times
Don't be alarmed by this..many many cities have this rating. This is a good indicator however neighborhood scout is a little over dramatic in the ratings of other cities. It also compares small towns very small...to large cities like Detroit wt . The key with this was to show you the outskirts...out of the ghetto so to speak not to offend anyone..was the safer areas. And the types of crime that are the most...And it's property crimes which in the grand scheme is better than violent. Don't let this deter you..I have been to many areas that were very very safe that neighborhood scout listed as extremely dangerous. But try Sevierville..it's very safe.. And only about 35 min maybe less from Gatlinburg..And Knox.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:56 AM

132 posts, read 191,621 times
Alcoa and Maryville are nice communities that are not far out, closer to the mountains, not hard to get to tourist areas without being "pinned-in" by traffic from more active tourist visiting times.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:22 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
I would't really consider Sevierville a less than 35 minutes commute to UT Medical Center. Maybe some days, but likely not many. Of course that depends on where in Sevierville you live. Traffic can be horrible, especially in the summer.
Your best bet is to try to find a room to rent, or an extended stay hotel.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
That website is full of it, as usual. I once had someone tell me that their neighborhood (not in Tennessee) was in the top five percent of the richest zip codes in the country. I showed him digital reams of proof that it wasn't even close but hey, that ridiculous website said it, so he was sticking to it. Nice little neighborhood, but decidedly middle class.

With all due respect, Mieloka, you don't live here. In fact, you are asking US questions about the area. I can't imagine a medical student would want to peruse the schlocky tourist mecca of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge on their days off. I mean to each their own, but unless they live for going to Branson or Myrtle Beach on vacation, they are probably going to want to go elsewhere on their days off. Downtown Knoxville or taking advantage of Ijams or the GSMNP is probably going to be in their wheelhouse. They can save the shopping for tchotkes with Aunt Harriet for another time.

And the commute from Sevierville to UT Medical - not to mention other parts of Knoxville - is going to be 40 minutes to an hour, depending.

In fact, Mieloka, why you want to work in Bulls Gap and live in Sevierville is beyond me (maybe it is your husband, but I wouldn't want to put that on someone else, either). And your description of your ideal house makes me wonder if you've ever visited the area unless it was on a whirlwind vacation.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:16 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Can't give reps to Hik....so here you go!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 AM

132 posts, read 191,621 times
Goose14, questions are begging here:

1. Where are you coming from and do you know if you like country or city living?
2. What are your interests?
3. Budget for rental?
4. Do you have to be entertained or is a hike/drive into the mountains enough for you? In other words: Do you believe you will play super shopper at the outlet stores, visit the mountains, or just chill around the immediate area where you live for your days/nights off?

Of course, for just eight weeks, you might try to do a little bit of everything and make sure your location doesn't slow you down just to get away. Tourist areas tend to slow/hamper everyday life down when they get crowded. If you look around on other posts of "where do I live?" type threads, you will hear the common thread about traffic in those areas and should realize that anyway. Another traffic issue I have noticed is rush hour times from Knoxville's 640/I40 "circle" outward. It's not really much of a "rush hour" compared to any large city I've lived around, but that is why I asked the first question. City of Knoxville seems like a "large town" to a lot of people that come here... and a lot of people enjoy that unexpected difference.

So, that is why people are only guessing what would interest you... Happy hunting and good luck in your decision!

Old 10-14-2014, 08:52 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That website is full of it, as usual. I once had someone tell me that their neighborhood (not in Tennessee) was in the top five percent of the richest zip codes in the country. I showed him digital reams of proof that it wasn't even close but hey, that ridiculous website said it, so he was sticking to it. Nice little neighborhood, but decidedly middle class.
I certainly wouldn't claim most of these sites are 100% accurate, but saying they are "full of it" is wrong.

The fact is that NS in particular offers a decent casual look at the parameters they offer. C-D has much more data, but it's a little more difficult to sort through, IMO.

I don't know what methodology NS or similar sites use, unless they state it, and as far as I can tell, NS doesn't. Nevertheless, I don't see how one could goose what should be relatively cut and dry crimes like "rape" and ""murder." There are so many people murdered in Knoxville (or anywhere) annually and so many people in the city to divide by and get a per capita number. I don't see how there is much wiggle room to lie here.

I find these numbers fairly spot-on for the Tri-Cities.

Knoxville is a high crime city by the numbers. Does that mean its 2 is the same as Detroit's 2? No, because a crime that gets reported/logged in Knoxville may not even get a bit of police attention in Detroit. State reporting differences that have been harped about on here may also play a part, but I certainly wouldn't outright dismiss these scores as meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville