Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:29 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

These pics were taken in Cades Cove on 1/3/08 and 1/4/08. 1/3/08 was right after we had a dusting of snow.

Here's my advice if you have never visited Cade's Cove. These are things they don't tell you in the literature.

1. If you go in the winter, it's not bumper to bumper cars. If you go while school is in session and on days people are at work in the winter, even better. But, there are icy spots. Watch your footing when you get out to walk. The ground isn't even.

2. You may not think you'll want to take photos on your first trip. You would be wrong. Don't think in a pinch you can use your cell phone as I saw one woman attempting, yesterday. If you don't live here (so you are less likely to make a return trip) bring a camera or you'll hate yourself when you get home.

3. Try to arrive at the Cove when it opens even if it means you have to drive in the dark for some of your trip to the Cove. Early morning fog, mist, frost make a nice photo. One of the nicest photos is when, the stable lets the horses run and that's first thing in the morning after the park opens and it's one of your first pullovers on the left. Also, allow yourself plenty of time to enjoy the loop. Don't think, "Aw, it's only 11 miles, I can do that in an hour" and you race through the loop to be someplace else.

4. If windy roads affect you maybe this isn't the place to go. It's a loop but it's not a track oval. There are parts of the Cove where you will see signs that advise bicyclers to walk their bikes. Those are the up and down windy spots. If windy roads affect you, those bicycle signs are your warning.

5. There is a restroom cutoff on your left as soon as you enter the loop. The loop is only 11 miles long BUT you will be stopping frequently to look at scenery/wildlife/buildings before you get to the visitor's center restroom so if your trip to the Cove was a long one, consider making that first restroom stop rather than "holding out" for the Visitor's Center restroom.

6. If you get out of your car and walk to a spot, lock your car. The Cove is too crowded (in my opinion) for someone to be able to break into your car unobserved but it's also too crowded for someone to notice a person just opening your car door and helping themselves to your stuff, if you leave the car unlocked.

7. You'll probably be awed by the deer and scenery on the first trip but listen for the birds and every once and awhile look up when you hear them. You might see some unusual ones. I don't think it dawns on too many people to check out the birds while they are there. They are also in the fields.

8. Bring food and drink for yourself. There's no place to buy food or get gasoline inside Cade's Cove. You can't feed the wildlife.

9. Pull over and get out of your vehicle to look or pull over and gawk from your vehicle, just pull over. Don't stop in the roadway. There is no way to get around you unless you pull over. There are signs telling you to be courteous and pull over. Ignorant people still stop in the middle of the road to gawk.

10. If you are physically disabled but can drive a vehicle, you can still enjoy Cades Cove. You can see a lot from your vehicle. Deer and birds are often right alongside of the road/pullovers. Scenic vistas can be seen from the pullovers. The restroom by the Visitor's Center is handicapped accessible. The parking lot near there is paved and flat.

Photos coming up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 11:34 AM

Default Photos

Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 AM

Default Photos

More Photos

Old 01-05-2008, 11:43 AM

Default Photos

Old 01-05-2008, 11:50 AM

Default Photos

Old 01-05-2008, 11:55 AM

Default Photos

Meigs Falls is not in Cade's Cove but is not far from it. It was frozen.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 AM

See, no bumper to bumper cars on a weekday in the winter.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:59 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Laura, those pictures are gorgeous! Do you have to edit your pictures or is that the way they upload? I do love going to Cades Cove too, haven't done it quite a while though. Maybe I could talk hubby and boys into a road trip next weekend.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:01 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Those are gorgeous photos Laura! What camera do you use? Do you use a photo shop on the pics?

As far as helpful hints, I live right down the road from Cades Cove and go often so I will add a few of my own:

When you go the first time drive the entire loop (as early in the day as possible like Laura said). Then, go back around the loop and stop at the areas that interest you the most.

In the spring, summer and fall, plan on rolling your windows down, or driving with your minivan doors all the way open. Dress accordingly.

In the winter, do the same thing as above. Bring blankets.

Turn your radio off. Take out your earbuds. Step away from the iPod. Listen to nature.

Have a clean windshield.

Consider bringing collapsible folding chairs/seats. It is great to pull over and sit a spell and watch what is in front of you. You may want to consider a picnic blanket.

The bathroom situation. This is not a joke. Listen to Laura. Do not drink a Big Gulp prior to going into Cades Cove.

Bring binoculars.

Bring a few dollars to place in the donation jars.

Cades Cove is a great place to bicycle.

Come soon. There is talk of closing the loop to personal cars in the future; especially in the tourist months.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
OH. WOW.

That's all I can say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville