Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving out of city: housing requirements, commuting, commercial district, price range

Old 01-17-2008, 06:56 AM

358 posts, read 999,606 times

Advertisements

DH and I have decided to get serious about moving. We are open to ANY part of the city. DH works in Clinton with plans to retire in 8 years and commuting has never been a problem for him. I actually work 5 minutes from where we live but I miss the 30 minute drive I use to have. SO, if you could move south, north, east or west knoxville, where would you go and why? Our housing requirements include something for $130k (stop laughing..it IS possible!); minimum 3 beds, 2 baths, 1600 sq ft; good condition. Other than that, I don't care if it's stick-built, modular or mobile, with land or without.

Ok, giveth fortheth thou's opines!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 07:17 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
DH and I have decided to get serious about moving. We are open to ANY part of the city. DH works in Clinton with plans to retire in 8 years and commuting has never been a problem for him. I actually work 5 minutes from where we live but I miss the 30 minute drive I use to have. SO, if you could move south, north, east or west knoxville, where would you go and why? Our housing requirements include something for $130k (stop laughing..it IS possible!); minimum 3 beds, 2 baths, 1600 sq ft; good condition. Other than that, I don't care if it's stick-built, modular or mobile, with land or without.

Ok, giveth fortheth thou's opines!
FOUNTAIN CITY!!! Seriously, I love the place. You can get more bang for your buck, plus it's got a really nice little commercial district that's over 100 years old. You can get from Fountain City to I-75 via Cedar Lane (which turns into Merchants). Traffic on Broadway can get a little hairy between Fountain City and I-640, but you can avoid it by taking Cedar Lane to I-75.

Or, just south of Fountain City on the south side of I-640 is Fairmont-Emoriland. It was developed in the 1940s-50s and is definitely in your price range. Also check out North Hills which is off Washington Pike near Whittle Springs. For that matter, the area around Whittle Springs Golf Course also has homes in your price range.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2008, 03:08 PM

62 posts, read 189,802 times
Inave:
I just did a search with your criteria.

Unfortunately, there are only 2 in FTN City with 3/2/1600SF...that's a shocker! I think the 1600 SF is throwing it off...there are some 1500-1600 SF though.

Halls has about 6 houses that fit your criteria...there are lots in North Knoxville and 1 in Powell.

In this price range, you really have to jump on the good ones as soon as they hit the market. It IS possible; however, they go fast because there are so many buyers with a 3/2 requirement in your price range and most want it in good condition as well. It's the square footage that is the biggest factor--many houses in your price range are 1200-1500 SF. Fountain City, Halls, Gibbs, Carter, North Knoxville, and Powell are you best bet here in Knoxville.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:19 PM

133 posts, read 376,589 times
My first question is "What do you do in your spare time?" 2nd "Where do you do it?"

Everyone has their favorite place and they chose it because of what they like and the people surrounding them. I personally like Loudon County because of the lakes- some people hate it. Since you are retiring, would you want to live in a condo where the outside is taken care of for you?

Just some things to ponder

Old 01-21-2008, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 10,877 times
fountain city knows no recession or price declines of any siginifance a realitor friend of mine told me she has a list of over 100 people wanting to move here, says she can sell most any house in this area in a month or less just by calling down her list, i live in fountain city, any vacant lots only a few left here and their are high dollar 3/4 acre lot zoned for duplex just below black oak ridge just went on the market for 75k for what its worth, the plus side of the coin is vary convient to schools from k-12 and bout 10 mins from university of tn, also not far from hospitals, vary nice park with flowing stream and most anything you want is less than a 1 mile radius of central fountain city, large mall 4miles walmart and 2kmarts within 3miles real nice restruants and all the major chains are here good luck check with a realitor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville