U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,833 times

Advertisements

I know similar posts have been made, but i thought i'd be a little more specific with this one.

My wife and I are looking to relocate to the knoxville area in about a year. We love were we currently live, newer developement, Saussy Burbank Craftsman style home, 1/2 acre lot, 2 car garage, 2700 sf etc... in the 300k+ pricerange. we currently live about 15 miles outside of Charlotte NC.

My question is... Is there anything like this in knoxville. We love the amenities we now have that include walking trails, golf, the lake, etc...

We have looked at Northshore Town Center, but it seems overpriced for such small lots. We would be willing to build, but i'd love to see some stuff that is already existing. We'd love to stay west of town anywhere from West hills to Lenoir City. Older homes would also be acceptable. Are there any areas with Bungalows, Craftsman style or even cottages? I appreciate anyones input. Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 01:10 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,095,652 times
Congrats, Knoxville is a great place to live, and yes there are several places that you could purchase that would include your thoughts. You can use the kaarmls.com public site, and kgis.org , to see about areas. Good luck, and write if you need any specific information.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:49 PM

2,172 posts, read 7,105,399 times
West Hills is an older suburb with big ranches on huge lots. Lots of amenities around, a huge city park, big YMCA, lots of big churches. Zip is 37909.
If you want golf, try the Fox Den. It's an older development and I've been impressed with the style and size of the homes. Zip is 37934. It's in Farragut.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:56 AM

133 posts, read 344,977 times
Check out Avalon - it is a golf subdivision that has a variety of home styles from condo, to townhome, to mansion. You may also want to look at the Tellico Village area. The prices break off somewhat going west when you get past the Knox County line.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 AM

2,197 posts, read 6,919,814 times
It's going to be a challenge finding what you want in the area you want for the price you want in Knoxville. I searched exhaustively for the same thing, to no avail.

North Knoxville has the wonderful older cottages, with vintage details. These neighborhoods have escalated in price, however, and while gentrifying, still border on fringe areas. Fountain City is safe and affordable, but it's not West, and the cottages are not large.

Newer developments in West Knoxville will have smaller, less private lots and will be more cookie-cutter and more expensive, especially in the amenity communities. The whole Craftsman and cottage concept isn't popular in West Knoxville, where people tend to want larger brick homes. Northshore Town Center is unique in that it offers quaint cottage architecture and walkability in a mixed-use neighborhood. You're paying for that singularity, because as you noted, the lots are very small and homes are priced aggressively. I looked there, too and thought it overpriced.

There are a few older neighborhoods closer in to town in Old West Knoxville, but finding what you want will be hit or miss. You might find a lot you like, but the houses are smaller, many do not have a garage and you'll pay city taxes (though you will get city services). And these will not be amenity communities, though they're tree-lined and lovely.

If walking and golfing are priorities, you might like Magnolia Villas in Gettysvue. They're not Craftsman and they're pricier than you want, but Gettysvue has a nice golf course, club house and country club amenities.

Since your needs are specific-- and not a lot of homes will meet your specs-- you'll be best off teaming up with a realtor. What you have sounds wonderful-- I just don't know where to duplicate it here. There are plenty of nice places to live in Knoxville, but you'll probably have to make compromises. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,833 times
Thank you all for the information. Ya’ll have pretty much confirmed what I already thought to be the case. Has anyone heard of Turning Leaf at Choto? Any thoughts on Tennessee National? Also, if anyone knows of new Craftsman/Bungalow style developments/builders I’d love to hear about it.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 PM

50 posts, read 191,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallenger View Post
I know similar posts have been made, but i thought i'd be a little more specific with this one.

My wife and I are looking to relocate to the knoxville area in about a year. We love were we currently live, newer developement, Saussy Burbank Craftsman style home, 1/2 acre lot, 2 car garage, 2700 sf etc... in the 300k+ pricerange. we currently live about 15 miles outside of Charlotte NC.

My question is... Is there anything like this in knoxville. We love the amenities we now have that include walking trails, golf, the lake, etc...

We have looked at Northshore Town Center, but it seems overpriced for such small lots. We would be willing to build, but i'd love to see some stuff that is already existing. We'd love to stay west of town anywhere from West hills to Lenoir City. Older homes would also be acceptable. Are there any areas with Bungalows, Craftsman style or even cottages? I appreciate anyones input. Thanks,
I think you might like Island Home. Historic homes, many Craftsman bungalows, right on the TN river and a neighborhood park. The lots may be smaller than what you are used to, though. I found this site for more info on the area: The Island Home Park Neighborhood Association

Good Luck!

Old 02-08-2008, 05:51 PM

26 posts, read 80,110 times
Tennessee National is a bit further South than Lenoir City, 9 miles if my odometer is right. It's two exits past Lenoir City, and starting to grow. I live off of that exit, and it takes about 15 minutes to get to Farragut, 30 to Knoxville. It's a great spot if you don't mind the drive. Tennessee National Golf Community Waterfront, Louden, Tennessee (http://www.golfcoursehome.net/doc/communities/Community-Tennnationaltn.htm - broken link)

Also, somewhat of a nuisance, two or three times a month we'll get the smell from the mushroom plant for a couple of hours. That plant is on Tennessee Nationals side of I-75, and may be a bit worse there.
Monterey Mushrooms, Inc. Home Page

Old 02-26-2008, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,741 times
Default eaglebend

Check out eaglebenddevelopment.com. They are developing a community off Northshore, that would be perfect for you. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallenger View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville