Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:41 AM

161 posts, read 237,614 times

Advertisements

Hello

My wife and I are in our 30s with a daughter just starting elementary school. We live in Northern NH and are tired of it. We've had enough of winter in New England. I feel like growing up in NH is a dead end for my daughter. It's all petty crime and drugs up here. Small businesses close every month and nothing new is coming in. We want out of here.
This past August we visited Western NC and really liked it. Recently I've been looking into TN. How is housing compared to income? How are schools and jobs? We would like to be close to the mountains. We love the outdoors. Hiking, camping, hunting, exploring ect. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 02:09 PM

885 posts, read 1,167,084 times
We are with you Teamwalsh317. We live in NYS, nears Cooperstown. You might want to check out : put in state or town for info. Tennessee also has no state income tax like NH. We are looking to retire there. Appears to be nice areas around Nashville in mid -state but expensive. Cheaper in the mountains. Good luck.

Last edited by Yac; 11-09-2020 at 01:39 AM..

Old 10-12-2015, 03:37 PM

Thanks Country Karen. We are looking for a place to live and eventually retire.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:53 PM

230 posts, read 430,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Tennessee also has no state income tax like NH. We are looking to retire there. Appears to be nice areas around Nashville in mid -state but expensive.
Tennessee has a personal income tax. The frequently heard statement that Tennessee has no state income tax is false. What Tennessee does have is a personal income tax exemption for wages, salaries, and retirement pay. That does not equal no income tax. Investment income is taxed at a flat rate of 6%. Some investment income is exempted. For details, see tennesse.gov.

Nashville housing is currently experiencing a bidding war. East Tennessee housing is much cheaper. Think Knoxville, Oak Ridge, and vicinity, or the Chattanooga area. Other areas have reasonable housing, but work is much harder to find and generally doesn't pay well.

Last edited by FrogCross; 10-12-2015 at 05:01 PM..

Old 10-12-2015, 04:36 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWalsh317 View Post
Hello

My wife and I are in our 30s with a daughter just starting elementary school. We live in Northern NH and are tired of it. We've had enough of winter in New England. I feel like growing up in NH is a dead end for my daughter. It's all petty crime and drugs up here. Small businesses close every month and nothing new is coming in. We want out of here.
This past August we visited Western NC and really liked it. Recently I've been looking into TN. How is housing compared to income? How are schools and jobs? We would like to be close to the mountains. We love the outdoors. Hiking, camping, hunting, exploring ect. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tim
Knoxville area would be your best bet. Most employment opportunities and close to the mountains. Lots of rural areas outside of Knoxville that are very wooded and hilly, similar to NH.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:51 PM

257 posts, read 489,612 times
If schools are important to you, I would recommend the city of Maryville. Reasonable housing costs and property taxes compared to the NE. You do pay a 9.5% sales tax on everything, including groceries. Look on-line at Realtor.com to get an idea of housing costs and come on down for a visit!

Old 10-12-2015, 05:16 PM

If it helps I'm a Mechanic. I've been working on Hyundais for the past 14 years and my wife is a pharmacy technician. Our daughter is pretty advanced for her age and I want a good elementary school for her. Thanks for all the info. Every bit helps.

Tim

Old 10-12-2015, 07:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Hello

Here's what I'm going to tell you. I'm from Massachusetts. I love the South and I love Knoxville, Tennessee. I wouldn't move back to New England if you paid me. However, if you think you've seen crime and drugs, get ready.There is a LOT of crime in the South. There is a lot of drugs and a lot of violence. Does it bother me? Not really, but I lived in Florida before I moved here so I was beyond shockproof by the time I got here.

I think that crime is a non-issue, for the most part, unless you know the wrong people. Of course, druggies steal and sometimes it can be violent if you come across the wrong person at the wrong time, but it isn't common.

But I know where you live and it is as different as night and day.

So you're probably thinking that you'll move to a tiny town like where you are from (pop. 2,856 and surrounded by similar tiny towns), but sometimes drugs and crime rates in the smaller towns isn't much of an improvement or worse. And the schools are notoriously bad. Not New England "bad." Worse.

Once again, I LOVE it here, but coming from where you are from, I think a lot of the South is going to be an adjustment. Actually, any part of the country is going to be an adjustment.

Jobs are good here. However, unemployment rates in New Hampshire are some of the best in the country and lower than Tennessee and North Carolina. Also, bear in mind that you may take a big pay cut compared to where you are now.

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area

Housing is affordable in East Tennessee, however, where you live it isn't that much more expensive. In fact, I'm seeing some properties that are the same or cheaper in Tamworth.

One thing I will agree with is a lot of businesses in New England are gone or leaving. The town I grew up in looks nothing like the beautiful, thriving town that it used to be. Here, there is far more diversity of people and jobs.

Also, I prefer the weather here by a mile. Once again, I lived in Florida first, though. This weather may take some getting used to for you and your family.

Once again, I love it here. It's a perfect fit for me. But I wanted to give you the heads up. You have to do a lot of research. North Carolina has a lot of transplants, probably because it's closer to the coast. It's something to think about.

Best of luck.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:51 PM

Thanks Hiknapster. We are from MA too. Grew up just south of Boston. Living in NH the past few years I know why the people up here hate people from MA. I know there will be some adjusting and I know crime is everywhere you go. We just need a change. We can't handle the 6 months of winter stuck inside. We don't ski, snowshoe or snowmobile. Is rather be hiking or 4wheeling. I don't mind a cut in pay as long as its reflected in other aspects of life. I took almost a 35% cut in pay just moving to NH. I want a simpler quality of life. And more of a future for my daughter. There's nothing going on up here.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Thanks Hiknapster. We are from MA too. Grew up just south of Boston. Living in NH the past few years I know why the people up here hate people from MA. I know there will be some adjusting and I know crime is everywhere you go. We just need a change. We can't handle the 6 months of winter stuck inside. We don't ski, snowshoe or snowmobile. Is rather be hiking or 4wheeling. I don't mind a cut in pay as long as its reflected in other aspects of life. I took almost a 35% cut in pay just moving to NH. I want a simpler quality of life. And more of a future for my daughter. There's nothing going on up here.
Good, then this might work for you. If you are from just south of Boston, then stick with the Knoxville area. The schools are very good. This is a very small city. Think Worcester, but far more vibrant with better job opportunities, better COL, better schools and nicer people. Much better housing stock, too. We actually have an airport that you can fly out of. And there is a major university here.

Regarding auto tech jobs, the pay is not good at all, compared to the northeast. There are a lot of guys in business for themselves. How do I know? My ex has been in the business for about 30 years and we actually had a shop in Knoxville for awhile.

And I am very glad that you didn't consider Florida. That is like going from the frying pan into the fire and it often feels like it!

I have a 15-year-old daughter and we've lived here for 10 years. It is a WONDERFUL place to raise children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville