Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 07:22 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times

Advertisements

For the record, it is the Marble Alley Lofts. They are apartments, not condos.

Virtual Tour | Marble Alley Lofts // Knoxville, Tennessee Lofts

And Suttree Landing Park.

No possessive.

Babaulu Tapas and Tacos.

Out of all the people I know, they prefer to party in Knoxville as opposed to Chattanooga. Asheville has always been the place of choice to eat, dance, listen to live music, but many friends and acquaintances are now saying that Knoxville may now have an edge on this. Once again, that's a personal preference, but the people I know are anywhere from late teens to in their 70s. Of the people that I know that hit the clubs, go to live venues, the age is in the early 20s to early 30s. Chattanooga has come a long way from ten years ago, but it still doesn't have the restaurants, clubs and venues like the others.

Tourists looking for a fun weekend often choose Chattanooga and Asheville. My very unscientific study finds that people that come here for that often have another reason such as business, relocation-seeking and parents of college students, as well.

For much more information regarding the city center and all of its new and upcoming businesses, plus a perpetual 10-day planner, go to Inside of Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 10:07 AM

Oh, and since we are on the subject of beer, I might as well mention that the Brewfest is this Saturday.

Knoxville Brewfest 2015 | Knoxville Brewfest

So is Pridefest.

Knoxville PrideFest 2015

Old 06-18-2015, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 9,849 times
I appreciate the corrections.

Knoxville overtaking Asheville in terms of nightlife(dining, bars, music)? I'm as big of a Knoxville homer as they come, but I don't believe that's anywhere close to being accurate. I was in downtown Asheville recently for a bachelor party and would guess that I'm in downtown Knoxville 3-4 times a week including the weekends. The two really aren't comparable from a young person's perspective. Although Knoxville is doing much better than we were 5 years ago.

Asheville is significantly smaller than Knoxville, yet has a larger and much more compact/bustling downtown area. The amount of things to do downtown in the two cities is like night and day.

The huge variety of breweries, bars, beer gardens, pubs, and cocktail lounge's are all top notch. Knoxville is getting better, but we still don't touch their nightlife. Asheville earned the nickname "Beer City USA" for a reason and it's obvious as to why when you arrive.

The dining, festivals, live music, incredible art district, ambiance and scenic views are all better than what Knoxville offers at this point as well IMO. As well as everyone that I've ever been with that has visited both cities. Most of which have been UT students, btw.

Market Square and Gay St. are great, but very small and limited. The old city has charm, but is also fairly small and could use some major renovations/curb appeal. Also, when the 4th, 5th, and 6th year students are out of town the Old city has a tendency to get slow. Then you have Cumberland Ave. which is as dead as I've ever seen from a social and aesthetic standpoint. Although I think that will change in a big way again once the Cumberland Ave. renovations are completed.

The only way I could see someone saying that Asheville has fallen behind Knoxville in terms of things to do downtown is if they are at the point in their life where they're looking to grab a relaxing dinner with their SO and then head home and read a book for the night. Even then I'm not sure.

Again, I love Knoxville with everything that I am, but I don't believe our downtown area is comparable to Asheville and to a much, much lesser degree Chattanooga's. The 22 acre river park and the festivals that they put on there are incredible. As is the Aquarium, the Lookouts AA baseball park and gigabit internet speeds. I would take Knoxville's downtown dining and bar scene over Chatt's though, as I think theirs leaves something to be desired. I do think that Chattanooga has more options in terms of activities or things to do with the family though.

I am very encouraged with the amount of projects underway around downtown( as I mentioned in my first post) and how much local businesses are buying back in to the area over the past 5-10 years. However, I think we still have a long way to go in terms of things we can do to be considered among some of the south east's better mid sized cities. I do think we will start to see our name being mentioned within the next decade though. I hope at least.

Speaking of downtown, I just saw the article published on KnoxMPC.org about the new pedestrian bridge that will connect some of the south side neighborhoods to the University. Wow is all I can say. The renderings look incredible. From a functional and aesthetics standpoint that bridge would be very, very welcomed. It looks incredible with the downtown backdrop just behind it. I would add pictures, but I'm not sure how to do that just yet on this forum.

Here's the link if anyone wants further information on the plans or to see the renderings. The city has applied for a grant that would cover most of the expenses I believe. We should know whether or not it gets approved sometime this fall.

MPC News

Really looking forward to BrewFest as well. We will be there with a large group of friends.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:07 PM

The bridge has been in the works for about four years and we've discussed it on here. Thank you for the renderings.

Regarding Chattanooga, here is the list of festivals in the downtown area.

Downtown Chattanooga - Festivals & Events

Here are Knoxville's.

City of Knoxville - Festivals and Events

Yes, I'm aware of the aquarium, art museum, DUCK tours, etc. That's great for tourists, but I prefer to live in Knoxville and so do the people that I know.

And I'm not just digging up the list. I cover a lot of these festivals and events.

Regarding the difference between Asheville and Knoxville, you can go there and I'll stay here. I prefer the vibe to this city, for many reasons.

That's what makes the world go around. If we all wanted to live and hang out in the same places, it would be too darned crowded!

PS. Regarding The Strip, as you mentioned, the place is a bombed out mess, right now. That's what happens when you revamp and an entire area and tear up the main road. Believe me, I'm on it every day and it isn't fun. A lot of businesses are closed, rather than bleeding money while waiting for construction to end. I've been in that situation and it is a very smart move. But, just like all the work that has been done, is in the process of being done and future endeavors in the area, it is all for a great cause.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:47 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I'm sitting firmly on the "Asheville is a great place to visit" bench but it's always been a tourist destination. I enjoy having it nearby but wouldn't want to live there.

Quote:
I would take Knoxville's downtown dining and bar scene over Chatt's though, as I think theirs leaves something to be desired. I do think that Chattanooga has more options in terms of activities or things to do with the family though.
I'm still trying to figure out your comment that your 20 - 40 yr old buddies go all the way to Chatt for entertainment. I can only assume you were basking in the memories of Riverbend festival.

Chatt is always going to have the edge in the tourism dept as it is so close to ATL and there seems to be a human need to go someplace different on occasion - listen to the Chatt commercials, they play on this theme. I believe they are targeted to ATL and we get a few spots thrown our way.

Jmart, do you work for the Chamber of Commerce or Visitor's bureau?

Old 06-19-2015, 11:02 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times
Chattanooga has 3 major things going for it that Knoxville doesn't in terms of tourism: Lookout Mountain, Rock City and Ruby Falls. Those are major attractions and huge draws for tourists. I love Knoxville (used to live there as some of you know) so dont get me wrong. Its just that those three attractions set Chattanooga apart. I think a lot of times when people travel they want unique, different things to do.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:05 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolitanTN View Post
Chattanooga has 3 major things going for it that Knoxville doesn't in terms of tourism: Lookout Mountain, Rock City and Ruby Falls. Those are major attractions and huge draws for tourists. I love Knoxville (used to live there as some of you know) so dont get me wrong. Its just that those three attractions set Chattanooga apart. I think a lot of times when people travel they want unique, different things to do.
The Chattanooga attractions though, pale in comparison to Knoxville's proximity to the GSMNP, though it is 30 or so miles away.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:22 PM

213 posts, read 550,972 times
In the past, downtown Knoxville has had an inferiority complex when compared to downtown Chattanooga, but things are changing. This week, the new foundation that has taken over the operation of Chattanooga's historic Tivoli Theatre and the Sailors ans Soldiers Memorial Auditorium have named Knoxville based AC Entertainment to book and manage those two venues along with the Community Theatre. It seems that the folks down in Chattanooga had a little envy of their own when they looked at the incredible success of our own Tennessee and Bijou Theaters.

It appears that the offerings of big name entertainment in Chattanooga has been somewhat lacking, with their venues sitting empty more times than being in use.
Knoxville management group takes the reins at Tivoli | Local News | Times Free Press

Old 06-20-2015, 07:03 PM

I think Chattanooga is a great little tourist town and I think it has more to do with the aquarium, the Hunter Art Museum, the Children's Museum and the DUCK tours than it does Rock City. However, no matter how you slice it, it's a great place to visit for a weekend.

However, no one I know in Knoxville has been envious of Chattanooga's downtown. Don't get me wrong, the riverfront is GORGEOUS. But downtown doesn't come close to Knoxville's. It's nice to see that they are finally getting their act together, as it were, and doing something about it. Just remember that Ashley Capps will always be ours.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:55 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Default What to see if in Knoxville for an hour or so

I saw there's a massive tagged thread for this and so I apologize in advance for starting this thread. It looks like a beautiful and fun city and place id consider moving some day. I was thinking of just stopping for a good, relatively inexpensive lunch place in market square or a nice area like that, walking along the UT quad and maybe looking for a short hike that would provide a nice view of something in the area. Please let me know if there is anywhere like that. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville