Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:30 AM

161 posts, read 237,456 times

Advertisements

Hey CD

So my family and I are moving to Western Knoxville at the end of June. I've been on here and spoke with people I know and I think Knoxville is going to be a fun place for us. My wife just read a bunch of bad reviews on Best Places to live about people experiences moving to Knoxville. I told her some people just don't like anything and are always negative. We moved to NH just over 2 years ago. We don't like it. Some people love it. She's worried Knoxville is going to be all meth labs and lots of crime and everyone is going to hate us because we are from Massachusetts. I work in Laconia New Hampshire. Some of the most expensive houses in the state are right here, you drive down the road 3 blocks and its junkies and melth labs galore. I told her it's all in how you perceive it. Theres good and bad everywhere. Be positive enjoy the good stay away from the bad. We are young enough and friendly I'm not worried at all. She's a little on edge as we get closer and closer to moving. I just need some help setting her at ease and letting her know this move will be good for us and our daughter.

Thanks, TeamWalsh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 08:27 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
If the area looks horrible, it probably is and should be avoided. Basic common sense should carry you through. Knoxville is not a bad city and you're not likely to move somewhere that looks great that ends up problematic. The west side of Knoxville and its suburbs are probably the most affluent area in east Tennessee. Coming from Massachusetts, you can likely afford property even in the best of areas around Knoxville. If you have kids, I'd give Farragut a look.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:58 PM

We leased a town house for a year till we find an area we really love. Don't even have a budget at this point. We're a working class couple with one young daughter. She'll be starting 1st grade in the fall.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:28 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
A little bit of cold feet, probably perfectly normal, just keep calm and keep reassuring her, lol.
Remind her too that people tend to be much more vocal with their complaints than their praises, people love to voice their dissatisfaction.

TN gets a worse rep for crime than it deserves IMO. Obviously there is a crime problem in many areas, script abuse and meth being the worst things, but it's not nearly as bad as a lot of people would lead you to believe. There have been a lot threads about our crime stats here in the forum already. One thing to keep in mind if you are not already aware of it is that TN does not report crime in the same way many other states do and it can lead to a perception that there is more violence here. //www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...l#post39838443

There are people in Knoxville from everywhere, MA ain't no thang, lol. Nobody will really care. Just keep in mind that being called a yankee is not an insult, neither is asking about your accent, don't take it the wrong way and make assumptions if those things happen. And just like anywhere else you move to, if you are going to use the phrase 'back home' or 'where I'm from' you do it in a way that is not a dig or complaint about your new location. People around here (tri-cities) love it when I tell them how much better it is here than where I used to live before (Memphis), lights 'em right up!

Last edited by DubbleT; 03-21-2016 at 05:42 PM..

Old 03-21-2016, 05:29 PM

Thanks Dubble T. Spent some time today gathering some info for her. I agree about people spouting off about the stuff that they don't like more than saying how great something is. We will be hitting the road in June heading to Knoxville. Now to find something to do for the 4th of July.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:35 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times
There were a lot of townhouses built in the 70s and 80s in West Knoxville. Most have been well maintained but a few have gone downhill. Hopefully someone from W Knox will pm you and volunteer to drive by and check out the neighbors' cars and overall appearance.

I think you will find Knoxville to be a very friendly place and your children will be zoned to good schools.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:52 PM

Thanks creeksitter. We leased a town house style apartment I guess that's what you'd call it. Its on Western Have. Looks like they were remodeled recently.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:37 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWalsh317 View Post
Thanks creeksitter. We leased a town house style apartment I guess that's what you'd call it. Its on Western Have. Looks like they were remodeled recently.
Oh. Technically, that's west of downtown, but not what we consider West Knoxville. It's really confusing, I know.

Which complex? How old are your kids?

I think you know that I'm from Mass. As it was said, there are people from all over around here.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:43 AM

I grew up on the south shore. Lived there for 34 years. Waterford Village is where we will be renting. My daughter is 6. She will be going to Pleasant Ridge Elementary in the fall.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:49 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,241 times
As an encouragement my son and his family moved to Farragut a year ago. The schools have been just wonderful for my grandchildren 4 and 2 nd grades. Especially good for my grandson the 2 nd grader.

Grandson is the scientist introspective sort and we have worried a little about him. This year he has blossomed out and gotten along well. they must be doing something right in Farragut schools

Good luck to your 6 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville