Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,407 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Ohio and hoping to find a job or two in Knoxville, TN. Problem is I don't know what areas are dangerous and I would like to know since I don't know anyone and will be sleeping in my car until I get a job and save enough for housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 04:35 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,889 times
Why do you have to move here so quickly, before you have time to save up a little? Where would you park at night, in store parking lots? What kind of work are you looking for?

Old 04-29-2016, 07:05 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
You need to get the job before you come or have at least several months of living expenses. This is going to be a disaster coming to TN with no job and no residence.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,345 times
Default Good luck and be careful

I have not been to Knoxville for years, but if I remember correctly, the western burbs might be a good place to look for a place to crash (no pun intended!). Go to day labor places, such a Labor Ready, etc., until you save up enough for a weekly. When I was there in 2000, I stayed at a weekly in downtown Knoxville near the stadium while doing assembly work at a plant about 15 minutes away. I eventually moved to a small town in Roane County where I was able to rent half of a duplex for only $250/month (can you believe it!). I loved that quiet, little town, where living was simple and cheap, and the people didn't rush around like nutcases. Then, like an idiot, I went back to live in a filthy rat race in Las Vegas. I live in Reno, NV now, but I'm getting out of hear soon, too, and heading back to East Tennessee, where people aren't so phony, greedy and insane, even if most of them don't have a mouthful of teeth... So what?

Last edited by smokyman; 04-29-2016 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 04-30-2016, 12:37 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Blondie...Not sure the rush to come to Knoxville without a job or means to support yourself. And why Knoxville?
At any rate, sleeping in your car until you can get on your feet is a bad plan.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:31 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Employment prospects here are better than a lot of Ohio.

My advice is sleep behind a church if you can find one with a secluded rear parking area. Maybe they will adopt you?

Lots of subleases are available for the summer if you get a job.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:35 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
What are your skills or things that you would have an ability to do? I think that is the first question, because, ultimately, you want to be somewhere you can thrive, so my advice would be unless the situation in Ohio is particularly dangerous or unsavory, to remain there and think about what it is you truly want to do, and what you need to do to get there. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2016, 02:22 PM

81 posts, read 105,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You need to get the job before you come or have at least several months of living expenses. This is going to be a disaster coming to TN with no job and no residence.
100% agree. This is the general advice before moving anywhere not just Knoxville, because who knows how long it will take to land a job. It took me over 2 years before I found a permanent job, with 7 years spent before that as a subcontractor never being sure I wouldn't be laid off the next week. It's not a good position to be in, and I had thoughts of doing the same thing as you w/ regards to packing up and moving to another city before having a job in place - not one person thought this was a good idea, including a career coach I worked with.

Also, essentially trespassing by parking your car and sleeping at various places just sounds like asking for trouble - you don't know who could come up on you while you're sleeping, be it someone who wants to steal your car or the police. That said, if you are determined to do this, then I'd probably start with contacting some churches or other organizations and see if they will either give you permission to park in their parking lot, or help you find somewhere you can park at night.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:04 PM

363 posts, read 482,358 times
Do you know people here? Why would you move here and sleep in your car in HOPES of finding a job? And if you do know people here, why wouldn't they help you with employment prospects or finding temporary housing in the meanwhile? I am hoping this is just a troll post because I can't imagine this scenario turning out well.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:30 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
I'm thinking troll post since it was just the one. Makes no sense to me to up and move, and the only plan is to sleep in car until something comes along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: