Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 785 times

Advertisements

I've been reading the threads here with interest. I would appreciate your input.
My wife and I are considering a move to Tennessee. While my wife grew up in East Tennessee, we have lived in Idaho and Montana for almost 40 years. We are retired teachers. We have a set income. While we are grateful for our retirement, it is not large. I do realize we are better off than many and I am grateful.
For many reasons, The area around Knoxville is attractive to us.
Any advice on an area where we could buy a home for $65000 in a safe and attractive place? Am I dreaming? I see some such homes on realter sites, but I wonder what the catch might be.
You input would be great!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 06:36 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
You MIGHT find a decent house for $65000, but you probably would have to give up the safe and attractive place. If you double that figure, you will have a much better chance of finding something that might fit your needs.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:49 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
You aren't going to find the perfect house in the perfect area for that price but you might get something liveable. You really need to be in town so you can talk to the neighbors, etc. Sometimes scruffy areas can be quite safe and vice versa. Most likely the house will need updating but could be liveable. Maybe needs a new roof,updated kitchen or new H/A.

If you are cash buyers I suggest looking at auctions. Those can be good deals.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:18 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
$65,000 is not a sufficient budget virtually anywhere in Tennessee, or most of the country for that matter. Like was said, you aren't going to find anything nice. It might be habitable, but even if it is, it's going to require a significant amount of work to get up to most people's standards. The house linked below is probably about the standard for this price range.

4908 Gettysburg Road, Knoxville, TN For Sale | Trulia.com

If you simply cannot afford more, I would advise you to just stay put - there's no need in disrupting your support system and everything you've known if all you can afford is a place like that.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
even if it is, it's going to require a significant amount of work to get up to most people's standards
Let me tell you about an auction I attended last weekend. Typical 3 BR 2 1/2 ba split foyer. Impeccable condition though kitchen and bath were originals. Repairs needed were driveway replacement, original resistance central heat (though new outside unit). Windows could stand replacement.

In one direction are well maintained homes of friendly neighbors in the 80 - 120K range. In the other direction more modest homes with one "problem property" and one abandoned house. Unique setting with natural beauty. Fenced yard.

Now the OPs might be more comfortable in an area with more uniformly maintained homes. I pictured them in a small post war home in a well maintained neighborhood. It might need a new heat pump or a roof. Most likely an estate sale. But my point is there are options out there if you can take the time to search them out.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:04 AM

Having problems editing but I forgot to mention the split foyer described above sold for the mid 50K range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville