Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 02:54 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
Yeah, and that's why I think if he is trying to get away from that California fast pace thing, he should probably avoid West Knox.
Compared to comparable parts of California, even west knox/farragut is laid back in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 05:54 PM

38 posts, read 70,715 times
All of you have given me things to think of. I spoke with a realtor earlier this week to get a better idea the area. But we should be there for a scouting trip around the 30th of September. Our moving date is mid to late June. So, I have a bit of time.
Thanks everyone any more ideas would be appreciated.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:58 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
With 90k a year you will live a very high quality of life here.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:09 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbart View Post
Hi everyone,
Within the next 10 to 12 months my family and I are moving from Northern California to Tennessee (and I can't wait). We like the Nashville area (Hendersonville, Mt Juliet) but also really like the Knoxville area. Some of the differences that we've notice: Nashville is flatter, more traffic, faster pace of life, more expensive, more work opportunity. I think the Knoxville area is beautiful with the foothills.

Here are some of my questions: (thanks in advance for your thoughts everyone)
What are some of the differences between the people in the two areas (if any)?

What areas have the best schools? (I've read a lot about the Farragut School district, but is there any where else? Including Catholic / Private schools that are good?

My wife is a psychologist and wants to open a practice (She mainly works with Vets and first responders now). Would there be enough people to support her work?

I'm retiring and I'll make around $90,000 a year. In California, I would need to get a job if we wanted to stay here. Would my retirement allow us to live comfortably?

My wife and I are going to Knoxville at the end of the month to take another look at the area. What would you tell us to see? An area, a farmer's market, or anything that might give us a better feeling of the area.

Thanks again for any input.
I've lived in both Nashville and Knoxville (currently in the Nashville burbs, and haven't lived in Knoxville since 2009, FWIW).

Overall, I think your perceptions about the areas are pretty accurate. Depending on what you are looking for, those differences could make all the difference.

Nashville is a fast growing metropolitan area, with tons of new construction. This comes with both good and bad....the good being lots of newer properties to look at, more regional and national chains, and generally an area where those chains expand to first. There's a little bit more going on in terms of shopping and dining in Nashville, and the airport has a lot more direct connections than Knoxville.

That said, Knoxville isn't a slouch when it comes to amenities. I think coming from a modest sized city in California, you would find what Knoxville offers to be ample for your everyday needs. And while Knoxville traffic is no breeze IMO, it is a bit more predictable than Nashville's (which gets noticeably worse every year).

Both areas have some above-average to good school districts. Nashville benefits a little bit more to having a larger population and more growth, but you will get more bang for your buck in the Knoxville area. I would give the Catholic schools in Nashville an edge over Knoxville.

Personally, I think if you were younger, Nashville would be better suited for you. But if you are looking at retirement, Knoxville would likely be a better choice.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:07 AM

19 posts, read 40,203 times
I have also lived in both and my vote is for Knoxville for bang for the buck. Nashville is becoming the king of up and coming areas that they go into an area redo 3 or 4 houses and triple the prices. And 10 years ago you wouldn't set foot in that part of town. If you chose nashville. I would do williamson county only. Green Hills and belle meade where just too much money for the homes. It is an sanctuary city and the illegal alien crime is sky high. Hence the running to the burbs. They do have vandy but, don't think that they welcome outsiders. You will always be behind the gate unless you work or go there. I felt that we were paying for the sins of the city with huge property taxes. The williamson county residents got all of the perks and none of the cost. I just got the feeling that nashville was a mini memphis where crime was growing at a huge rate. There was no effort to rein in crime,It is kept hush hush - my husband worked in the bell south tower and there where puddles of blood on monday from the weekend in the parking garage. No one wants to talk about it to keep downtown a draw for tourists.We recently moved back to knoxville and got a home 2x as big in west knoxville . If you want big city Atlanta is pretty close and the beach is much closer!!

Old 09-20-2016, 08:34 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKYLEE123 View Post
I have also lived in both and my vote is for Knoxville for bang for the buck. Nashville is becoming the king of up and coming areas that they go into an area redo 3 or 4 houses and triple the prices. And 10 years ago you wouldn't set foot in that part of town. If you chose nashville. I would do williamson county only. Green Hills and belle meade where just too much money for the homes. It is an sanctuary city and the illegal alien crime is sky high. Hence the running to the burbs. They do have vandy but, don't think that they welcome outsiders. You will always be behind the gate unless you work or go there. I felt that we were paying for the sins of the city with huge property taxes. The williamson county residents got all of the perks and none of the cost. I just got the feeling that nashville was a mini memphis where crime was growing at a huge rate. There was no effort to rein in crime,It is kept hush hush - my husband worked in the bell south tower and there where puddles of blood on monday from the weekend in the parking garage. No one wants to talk about it to keep downtown a draw for tourists.We recently moved back to knoxville and got a home 2x as big in west knoxville . If you want big city Atlanta is pretty close and the beach is much closer!!
Nashville is not a sanctuary city. Map: Sanctuary Cities, Counties, and States | Center for Immigration Studies

Although to your point, the illegal entry situation in the USA is so out of hand now that just about any city can seem like a SC. Law enforcement everywhere has been instructed by the federal government to "look the other way."

Old 09-20-2016, 07:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbart View Post
Hi everyone,
Within the next 10 to 12 months my family and I are moving from Northern California to Tennessee (and I can't wait). We like the Nashville area (Hendersonville, Mt Juliet) but also really like the Knoxville area. Some of the differences that we've notice: Nashville is flatter, more traffic, faster pace of life, more expensive, more work opportunity. I think the Knoxville area is beautiful with the foothills.

Here are some of my questions: (thanks in advance for your thoughts everyone)
What are some of the differences between the people in the two areas (if any)?

What areas have the best schools? (I've read a lot about the Farragut School district, but is there any where else? Including Catholic / Private schools that are good?

My wife is a psychologist and wants to open a practice (She mainly works with Vets and first responders now). Would there be enough people to support her work?

I'm retiring and I'll make around $90,000 a year. In California, I would need to get a job if we wanted to stay here. Would my retirement allow us to live comfortably?

My wife and I are going to Knoxville at the end of the month to take another look at the area. What would you tell us to see? An area, a farmer's market, or anything that might give us a better feeling of the area.

Thanks again for any input.
As a CA native now living near Knoxville, I would recommend Nashville if you are young and want more to do, but Knoxville if you want a more laid back life style, with enough to do.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:50 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKYLEE123 View Post
What a sad, emotional little misinformed post.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:14 PM

345 posts, read 530,629 times
Nashville is more trendy, younger and cooler. Knoxville is more outdoors-y, and laid back. Nashville has hills, knoxville has mountains. If you like nature and small traffic, move to knoxville.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:19 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
What a sad, emotional little misinformed post.
Just her personal opinion..........like yours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville