Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:18 PM

375 posts, read 1,097,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
They tell me not too long ago it was nothing to be without power for 5-7 days at a time.
Yep. Last time I was without power for five days was in 1996 and some of the really remote parts of the county went nearly two weeks without. Nasty ice storm, does the kind of damage they can't fix fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
Yep. Last time I was without power for five days was in 1996 and some of the really remote parts of the county went nearly two weeks without. Nasty ice storm, does the kind of damage they can't fix fast.
I lost it a week ago for about 12 hours with 2 poles down because of the gusty winds. Electric was out in spots all around the county. I did not expect to get it back till the next day, but they came through.....

Old 02-27-2008, 07:43 AM

358 posts, read 999,606 times
I grew up in "hurricane country" so being without electricity is nothing new but, I swear the older I get, the more I hate it. Guess I'm just more spoiled. Although I WILL give myself a pat on the back. I was without water and electricity for 9 days after Katrina AND all by myself as my DH, DD and her family had already moved here. I was so glad I didn't throw myself a pity party b/c the reality of what a lot of people went through hit me and I was SOOOOO thankful that I only suffered a little inconvenience!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:26 PM

396 posts, read 1,310,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
I WANT SNOW! I WANT SNOW! I WANT SNOW!

There, now I've thrown my little fit and I feel better!
How did you like your snow?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:28 PM

396 posts, read 1,310,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbette View Post
LilCabinGirl, you are absolutely right!!! I never appreciated 'four seasons' until we moved to the Keys and have only ONE SEASON.....HOT!!!! I do enjoy wearing shorts and sandals, but I also miss my sweaters and miss the smell of fresh cut grass and the smell of burning leaves in the Fall. Just 32 more days and we can experience 'Spring in the Smokies'
I couldn't do the Keys. It's a great place to visit but that is just too much hot and too much sun. Don't you share the same zip code with the equator?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:35 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
GBH, <tap tap tap>, you ok?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:01 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,228,196 times
Talking Cool in the Keys......mark your calendar!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCabinGirl View Post
Don't you share the same zip code with the equator?
LOL....Sometimes it sure feels like it!! However, today has been wonderful.....the high was only 69 and tomorrow it is only suppose to be 64!! WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO I've had the windows open and have enjoyed the breeze blowing through the house!!!! I'm actually wearing a long sleeve shirt with my shorts and sandals....

Old 02-27-2008, 05:23 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
GBH, <tap tap tap>, you ok?
Well, I was holding up until beachbette mentioned open windows, breezes, shorts and sandals. Now I'm sort of having a relapse. If I were to open my window, a gust of snow flurries would greet me like a raised finger.

If I turn my heat up any more, my next gas bill is going to be higher than my mortgage.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:34 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,228,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Well, I was holding up until beachbette mentioned open windows, breezes, shorts and sandals. Now I'm sort of having a relapse. If I were to open my window, a gust of snow flurries would greet me like a raised finger.

If I turn my heat up any more, my next gas bill is going to be higher than my mortgage.
Oh GBH....I feel awful that I have caused you to have a relapse

Just think, this time next year when I'm living in East TN and cranking up my heat and complaining, you can remind me of this post

Old 02-27-2008, 05:38 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Talking Where were you, GBH, when we talked about winter coming and please buy some wool sweaters?

GBH, I think you missed the acclimation class last fall! You'll have to be held back 'til it sinks in. Now, go stand outside for 10 minutes to think about this!

(And, beachbette, you bet we're going to remind you of this post! Don't let us hear, "When is spring ever going to get here?" or "I didn't know that it was going to be this cold and dreary!" I have the post bookmarked just in case.)

Last edited by gemkeeper; 02-27-2008 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: Added a thought. Only have one left now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville