Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 03:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,703 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

First post, new to the forum. I'm in an interesting situation and could use some advice. Sort of a long post, apologies in advance.

I'm a grad student in upstate New York. I'm finishing my degree in December. I just received a job offer from the Tennessee Division of Forestry, and my start date is December 15.

My new job will be in Knox County, so right now I'm in the middle of looking for a place to live in that general area. So far I've checked zillow.com and realtor.com, and while there are a lot of options that I see within my price range, getting a hold of anyone has been a nightmare. Lots of unanswered e-mails and applications, etc.

The interesting part is this- I'm stuck in my current location until December 9th. My job starts December 15th. That leaves less than a week for moving down there, finding a place, moving in, getting furniture and all that. Additionally, I've got exactly zero time to travel down there for tours, so that means I'm renting sight unseen. Generally ill-advised, but in this case my priority is finding a home that will be ready for move-in when it's time for me to go. I think my chances are decent.

Any ideas where I should look (besides zillow and realtor)? Any reputable landlords/property managers I should look for, and any I should avoid? Any general advice?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 04:10 PM

363 posts, read 477,506 times
Have you tried calling an agency that deals with corporate/ short term rentals? I know there are a few here at least due to the number of hospitals that probably employ traveling nurses and doctors. That would suck for you to blindly pick a place and hate it for a lease term of 6 month to a year.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:56 PM

257 posts, read 486,201 times
Can't anyone working at your new place of employment assist you in finding a place to live? We are orginally from Buffalo,and love living outside Maryville. Since we are homeowners, I can't give you advice on rentals.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:57 PM

Kitty,

I haven't tried going through an agency at all. That isn't a bad idea. Thanks for the input.

If I'm honest, I know blind renting is a stupid idea, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. I've lived in some crummy places in my life and my standards are correspondingly low. I'm certain that whatever I end up with (unless it's a garden shed or garage or something) I'll be happy.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnemj View Post
Can't anyone working at your new place of employment assist you in finding a place to live? We are orginally from Buffalo,and love living outside Maryville. Since we are homeowners, I can't give you advice on rentals.
They said I could talk to their HR department and that they might know something, but they're based out of Nashville. It's just the Tennessee Department of Ag., I don't imagine corporate housing or helping new employees find an apartment is part of their purview. It would be nice though.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:10 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,335,474 times
It isn't ideal but if I were you I would consider booking a stay at an extended stay hotel. This would give you some time to get here, get acquainted with the area, apartment search and make sure you are happy with what and where you are leasing. You can google and find available options.

I will be happy to help as I can. I am not a realtor or in a position to benefit from helping.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:38 PM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
I'd suggest a ValuPlace or similar. Yes, it's more costly than a regular rental, but if you can do this for 2-3 weeks, that will let you check out some places. I've done this during two prior blind out of state moves. It worked as well as you could hope under the circumstances.

You don't want to move sight unseen then get involved in a horrible situation with a lease that takes a year or so to ride out.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:53 PM

394 posts, read 789,406 times
I second on the extended stay hotel as a stop gap. There are options for most any budget.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:50 PM

Everyone,

Thanks for your responses,

I've been seriously considering going there and staying at a hotel or Airbnb or what have you while I get this sorted. Even my current landlord here in NY is suggesting that option. It'll be relatively expensive and inconvenient but it's better than getting stuck with a roach-infested shack or something.

I'll decide on what I want to do and report back, for closure, if for nothing else. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:06 PM

363 posts, read 477,506 times
There is a weekly rental place on Kingston Pike near Bearden High School that is advertising $229 a week right now. Not sure what your budget is but thought i'd throw that out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: