Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 12:42 PM

16 posts, read 13,375 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating relocating to Knoxville from New England in 2017 and have a "scouting" trip planned for October. Not long ago, one of the "regulars" on this forum posted a great list of things to do and see on a trip like this. However, I'm having no luck finding it again; can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 02:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Because you at least tried...

//www.city-data.com/forum/44896614-post2.html

Also, here is a post I made about the outdoors scene in Knoxville for anyone interested.

//www.city-data.com/forum/43985431-post5.html

Finally, a few more thoughts. You can now bowl in downtown Knoxville. Maple Hall It's a very cool place near the Mast General Store on Gay. The Phoenix Pharmacy is nearby and it has an AMAZING soda fountain.

Babalu is also nearby and it has very good Mexican food, but the place to be is Chivo Taqueria | Tacos & Tequila in Downtown Knoxville It's owned by the folks that brought us Stock and Barrel, another place that is a must visit. Further, if you love tamales, Good Golly Tamale in Old City gets it right, guaranteed. Check the hours, though, because he's not always open. https://www.facebook.com/goodgollytamaleknoxville/ The wine bar in the Old City is very good, too.

Few other places: Public House. Go where the mayor and all the cool kids go. Stay for the charcuterie.
Knox Mason.
OliBea for breakfast.
Balter's Brewery. Cool atmosphere!
Sweet P's on Jackson.

There is so much more, but this gives you an idea.

Be sure and tip your Uber driver!

I'm originally from New England. If you have any questions, want to be shown around, don't hesitate to message me! That goes for anyone else, as well.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:30 PM

Thank you so much! I definitely have gotten the message from the regulars that you quickly get tired of people who ask questions that have already been answered many times. I've been reading the forum for quite a while and appreciate all of your advice.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:35 AM

Default Report on Knoxville Scouting Trip

Just got back from spending 6 nights in the Knoxville area for a relocation scouting trip.

We spent 3 nights at the Four Points Sheraton in Knoxville, nice place. Would have liked to be a little closer to downtown but everything else was too expensive or booked up. Not too far to walk to downtown though.

Had drinks on the rooftop of Preservation Pub; could not sit inside due to the cigarette smoke. Hopefully TN will phase that out! Dinner at Soccer Taco (okay, would try another Mexican place next time). Went to the Blue Plate Special at the Visitor's Center. If you ever get the chance to see Ruth Acuff sing and play her harp, she is not to be missed! Walked a LOT around downtown, checked out the shops etc, went to the History Museum. Had dinner at Not Watson's which was delicious. The best night was the Six O'clock Swerve at the Barley; LOVED the Barstool Romeos and the pizza was awesome. Then the next morning we had breakfast at Pete's Coffee Shop (great eggs, bacon, and home fries) and who walks in but one of the Barstool Romeos (still wearing overalls so obviously not a costume for the band!) and we had the chance to say hello and tell him how much we enjoyed the show.

Went up in the Sunsphere, of course.

Drove through the UT campus (beautiful!) and went to the nearby Walmart; was blown away by the giant section of Vols merchandise there. Blown away in general about the Vols and their fans, seemed like everything was orange, even the porta-potties and the parking garage downtown!

Also blown away by all of the giant churches everywhere; I'm not currently a churchgoer but felt like I'd have to be if I lived there. In addition, there's so much building and development everywhere; seems like a good place to find a job but wonder if it would just be too much after 20 years in a fairly rural area. Still, I would *love* to not be 75 miles away from a decent movie theatre, Costco, and good medical care.

Then spent 3 nights at the Home 2 Suites in West Knox since I figure we'd live out that way if we moved. Had a hard time dealing with all of the giant signs and billboards; one thing Vermont definitely did right was outlawing billboards and controlling signage.

Drove up to Norris Dam State Park; the campgrounds were God-awful but the cabins looked nice and so did the lake. Checked out parks on the TN and Clinch river too (need a boat ramp nearby).

Toured 13 different apartment complexes: Wellsley Park at Deane Hill, Grove at Deane Hill, Bell Walker's Crossing, Amberleigh Bluff, Heritage Lake, Walden Legacy, Lovell Crossing, Greystone Vista, Reserve at Westland, Enclave at Hardin Valley, Preserve at Hardin Valley, Greystone Summit, and Emerald Woods. Greystone Summit was our favorite but I was shocked to find out they don't offer recycling for residents. Really??? So I'd have to collect mine and hopefully there's a place to take it.

Not sure however if I'd rather be close to town but it is only 6 miles to Kingston Pike and Hardin Valley was very nice. Wonder though how much development is heading that way; seemed like a lot of construction (what a beautiful new school!)

So that's how it went. Pondering the pros and cons. The thought of packing up and moving is very daunting just in itself!

Old 10-28-2016, 10:20 PM

Soccer Taco? Really?

You made a big deal out of the regulars not into answering the same questions. I went out of my way to recommend two Mexican places downtown and you chose a third that I would never recommend. In fact, I'm pretty sure you didn't follow any of my advice.

I will say that Barley's was a great choice, though!

Here's what I think. New England is very different from Knoxville. I should know. I lived in Mass. for 33 years, the South for 21 years, including 11 in Knoxville.

Here's the other thing. Vermont is unlike any place in the US. The only places that might come close is rural areas around Seattle and Portland. Even then, I'm not sure.

But Knoxville is not Vermont. If I were in your shoes, I would look elsewhere. Heck, even Asheville might work for you. Check it out.

On the other hand, if I've recommended it, we can be sure you'll head in the opposite direction! Kidding!

//www.city-data.com/forum/knoxv...l#post45389750

Old 10-30-2016, 02:02 PM

Wow. I did not intend to cause any inconvenience. Jeez Louise, I'm sorry we went to Soccer Taco!! I thought other potential Knoxvillians might be interested in how the scouting trip went. Would be happy to fill anyone in about what we thought of the various apartment complexes. FWIW we did go to the Mast General Store and the Phoenix Pharmacy. Pete's Coffee Shop was more appealing to us than OliBea. Knox Mason looked interesting but expensive. Breweries not really our thing.

Not expecting TN to be like VT; FYI I am not a native Vermonter but spent 20+ years in MD. Just commenting on the most striking contrasts between Vermont and Tennessee. Frankly, I think every state would benefit from a billboard ban. And the differences between the two states are what makes TN interesting; everyone we met was friendly and helpful, and the idea of being part of a church community is appealing. I like Knoxville because it has the city conveniences but the countryside is only a few miles out of town. I've had enough of living in the middle of nowhere, freezing to death in the winter, driving in snow and ice, and paying $5000+ property taxes on a modest house in an area where the job market is dismal.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:02 PM

Oh, chill. Soccer Taco was a bizarre choice, - especially after asking - for but I truly don't care. YOU had to eat it.

Just remember that Tennessee is not a nanny state. Don't count on Tennessee to phase anything out. Our pay is not even close to what you were making, I'm sure. Cost of living is less, but make sure to have a job before you come down here. Shocked about the lack of recycling. I wonder if this is area is just going to be too different for you. You want the state of Tennessee to ban billboards? Come on down and bang your head against the wall until it's bloody or look elsewhere is my advice, but you aren't very good at following directions.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:03 PM

Well, on second thought, maybe the billboards aren't so bad. After all, without them, how would I find the Waffle House and the Cracker Barrel?!

Old 10-31-2016, 06:59 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,600,149 times
Cm, depending on where you work, it could be possible to find routes that contain little to no billboards. Middlebrook Pike and Northshore are a couple that come to mind.

Yes recycling centers are available throughout the city and county. Calling 311 is a good resource once you decide where to live.

I like Blue coast burrito myself but don't see the big deal. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.

Last edited by Beretta; 11-01-2016 at 06:36 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 03:37 PM

yes, we did enjoy our visit.

Last edited by Beretta; 11-01-2016 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville