Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 11:40 PM

328 posts, read 473,324 times

Advertisements

Hi there

modcut

First of all, hi xD

As I said just now, I'm shopping for a city to relocate, as I don't like where I live, and I feel ready to get out, but still want to stay relatively near to my family down south (being in TN vs being in CA or WA). Besides you have I75, which we have down here too xD

Some things I wanted to ask, if you don't mind me asking, please

* How's traffic when the vols aren't playing?

* Do you consider that ,,Southern hospitality" applies here? (This is just a curious question, not a serious one )

* Are there mountain hiking trails? (I know there are mountains and look forward to them, as I grew up in a mountain area, and miss hiking)

* How's the winter, and in that sense, do you get fall colors before? (We get a mini fall in Feb here, but nothing compares with real fall)

* What are the better areas for a person to rent for the first time? (Saw some places in the 750s, and they didn't look half bad) are apartments near UT more affordable? More expensive? (I Don't mind the students, as long as the renting deal is worth it)

* What's renting like? (Where I live, the complexes ask for first and last month of rent, as well as a security deposit, and sometimes charge you for allowing you to move furniture) (I currently work at a bank, so I have to make money orders for those concepts all the time xD )

* How's public transportation?

* Are there lots of nerdy/geeky events here?

* How are the mall/s? (Where I live, they are busy, but been to areas where they might as well not exist of how dead they are)

** Fun questions
- Do you say expressway or freeway?
- Soda or pop xD
- Can you go inside the sunsphere?
- Are there any local fast food chains?
- How do you like pub subs xD

I may have more questions later on. I do appreciate any answers in advance ^^

Thanks for reading my massive text wall ♡

Last edited by Beretta; 11-26-2016 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: cross posting is a TOS Violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 06:40 AM

455 posts, read 669,367 times
You didn't say what you do for a living.
If you don't need to concern yourself with employment and are not looking for a big city, Knoxville may suit you just fine.
I can speak to West Town Mall(very nice, not overly crowded, but not the Mall of America). It was fine for me and certainly not a dead mall.
Traffic gets somewhat heavy during rush hours, but nothing like major cities.
Fall is beautiful, with gorgeous weather and plenty of color. Winter gets somewhat cold, but snow, if it comes, does not last. And it is certainly not as cold as New York or Chicago. Hiking is nearby. Yes, you can go into the Sunsphere.
People are friendly and life goes at a nice pace.
Yes, there are festivals, concerts and enough to keep you busy. But it is not Atlanta or Nashville.
Can't speak for apartment rentals, as not familiar. Or different words people use because different people say different things. I lived in an area with people from all over.
Your age, employment requirements, how easy you make friends, city size and location will all be factors in your decision.
Knoxville itself is a good mid-size city.
For a person who enjoys the outdoors and is not looking for all the bells and whistles of a big city, it is a good,solid choice.
Good luck! Let us know where you end up.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:33 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Unless you are student age there is no benefit to living next to the university.

Look up the urban wilderness for a map of urban walking/mountain biking trails. The actual mountains start about 40 miles away. Plenty of trails in the smokies.

Will you have a car? Do you bike for transportation?

Old 11-22-2016, 08:01 AM

363 posts, read 481,915 times
The Fanboy Expo comes twice a year. in June (I think) and in October. Not sure what you are into. We went to the one this summer. They had a lot of wrestling entertainers, Billy Dee Williams was there. William Shatner and Nichelle Wiliams was there if you like Star Trek. Some others but those are the ones off the top of my head. Pretty decent. Not the San Diego Comic Con but it's entertaining. Definitely not as crowded and I hope it stays that way.

They have some trading card/anime expos too. We went to one up in Seiverville as my husband is very much into Yugi-oh, WOW, Dragonball Z. There are a lot of gaming shops too if you are into that as well.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFAN View Post
You didn't say what you do for a living.

I have an online store, but I'm also interested in opening a brick and mortar store, hence the mall xD

If you don't need to concern yourself with employment and are not looking for a big city, Knoxville may suit you just fine.

Perfect ^^ trying to move to a smaller city... tired of the city where I live at

I can speak to West Town Mall(very nice, not overly crowded, but not the Mall of America). It was fine for me and certainly not a dead mall.

Is that the only mall in town? (Just wondering)

Traffic gets somewhat heavy during rush hours, but nothing like major cities.

How long is a regular commute? Just curious... having a brick and mortar store may force me to commute after all

Fall is beautiful, with gorgeous weather and plenty of color.

Winter gets somewhat cold, but snow, if it comes, does not last.

Aw :/ I like snow, but wouldn't mind it not being constant like in iowa or something :P

And it is certainly not as cold as New York or Chicago. Hiking is nearby.

Yes, you can go into the Sunsphere.

Nice! I wonder what's inside

People are friendly and life goes at a nice pace.

Perfect, because here ppl are very aggressive, specially in the traffic

Yes, there are festivals, concerts and enough to keep you busy. But it is not Atlanta or Nashville.

Nice, and Nashville is within relative reach, if need be anyways

Can't speak for apartment rentals, as not familiar. Or different words people use because different people say different things. I lived in an area with people from all over.
Your age, employment requirements, how easy you make friends, city size and location will all be factors in your decision.
Knoxville itself is a good mid-size city.
For a person who enjoys the outdoors and is not looking for all the bells and whistles of a big city, it is a good,solid choice.
Good luck! Let us know where you end up.
Thanks so far ^^

Sorry I'm taking long to answer :/

I'll keep you'll posted. So far I'm pretty fixed on going to Knoxville

Seems like a nice place

Hopefully I'll be visiting over the summer and get to experience fanboy expo, as recommended here

PS: mod, what was wrong with my original post? I saw you used a moderator cut. Just curious

Old 11-30-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Unless you are student age there is no benefit to living next to the university.

Look up the urban wilderness for a map of urban walking/mountain biking trails. The actual mountains start about 40 miles away. Plenty of trails in the smokies.

40 miles? That's far xD

Will you have a car? Do you bike for transportation?

Car thanks God
I gotta check urban wilderness to see... I'm curious now

Old 11-30-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
The Fanboy Expo comes twice a year. in June (I think) and in October. Not sure what you are into. We went to the one this summer. They had a lot of wrestling entertainers, Billy Dee Williams was there. William Shatner and Nichelle Wiliams was there if you like Star Trek. Some others but those are the ones off the top of my head. Pretty decent. Not the San Diego Comic Con but it's entertaining. Definitely not as crowded and I hope it stays that way.

They have some trading card/anime expos too. We went to one up in Seiverville as my husband is very much into Yugi-oh, WOW, Dragonball Z. There are a lot of gaming shops too if you are into that as well.
Nice!! Gaming shops!! I will love those!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: