Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:29 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedmont View Post
Thanks for your replies.

Kids/schools are not an issue (but I am happy to pay taxes for your children in Loudon County :-).

I have been to Fort Loudon St Park and I love it! Truly a beautiful spot. It also seems fairly quick to get to some fun sections of Cherokee National Forest as well as to GSMNP. Any other outdoor enthusiasts have tips on good areas to explore down this way? We love to hike and are becoming convinced that we need to take up trout fishing :-)

After looking hard at Kingston and Roane County, I have to say I was underwhelmed (although southern Roane is really lovely). I also looked quite a bit in Anderson County, but didn't find a good match there, either. While Lenoir City and Maryville have plenty of conveniences, we'd rather not be too close to that sort of development.
Beautiful area, I think you are making a good choice. Short drive to Lenoir City for groceries, close to Maryville and Turkey Creek for further shopping. 30-40 minutes to downtown. I think huge oak trees and horses when I think of Greenback BTW trout fishing is very good just south of GSMNP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 PM

123 posts, read 357,532 times
Talking My sides are aching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchDoctor View Post
I've been here for just about a year. It's better than the place I lived in Roane County, but still not my cup of tea.

Maybe I should just make the best of it, build a potato gun type of device and start shooting the golf balls at the dogs. ;-)
ROTFLMBO

I'm new to this thread, so I'm reading all the past posts.

I'm sure they are related to my neighbors up the street. We've got the dog problem, but not the gun. You can't fire one of those things off up here otherwise I'd shoot my neighbor in the a$$!. I live on a 1/4 acre lot in CA. Imagine my frustration. We're packed in here like sardines. Even though we live in a rural mountain community it still get frustrating. Dang developers only care about how much $$$ they can make on an acre.

How do you build a potato gun?

Last edited by Mountain Sprite; 03-02-2010 at 05:51 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,051 times
Well, since this thread was revived (although in a distant way to my original post), I'd thought I'd share an update.

We ended up with a very peaceful farm in lovely southern Roane County (aka south of the river), as the Greenback property didn't work out due to seller misrepresentations. Interestingly, this property is already back on the market, less than 2 years after it was sold to another buyer.

After more time in TN, I would say that while I really like the Maryville area's convenient access to the mountains + Maryville's independent markets/shops/college life, I think Greenback is generally overpriced for what it actually offers. Still, there is some very pretty land there, in between some not so great stuff. It was also hard to find a rural property that didn't have a train track running next to it! (but that is true of most counties in the area)

In our Roane location, I love that we have easy access to the wild areas of the southern Plateau in addition to the Smokies. I also enjoy the proximity to Chattanooga. Plus, I only hear the train (20+ miles away) on foggy days when sound really carries :-)

Old 06-17-2010, 10:27 AM

7 posts, read 24,534 times
Default county vs town or development -- zoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchDoctor View Post
I live in Greenback. Everyone has a different definition of nice because some people are more tolerant than others. Greenback covers a lot of real estate. It pretty much follows hwy 95 from US 411 to US 321. Your experiences may be different. I will share mine.

There must be at least eight railroad crossings within 5 miles of my house. They are all grade level crossings, so the train has to blow its horn for each one. Some nights, it seems like there is a train every ten minutes.

I live on ten acres. There is an old single wide about 200 yards from my house. The people that live in that house have no qualms about stepping out their back door and firing several rounds with a high powered rifle. I don't know what they are shooting at, but I can tell you that the bullets are not staying on their side of the fence. On more than one occasion, I have yelled to them to stop. They don't even apologize.

There is a house about 500 yards in the other direction. Those people have a dog that stays outside and barks non-stop all night long. I guess they are deaf. I couldn't stand to be any closer to the miserable animal. I'm pretty sure that the same people own the female and 8 week old litter of puppies that have started wandering the area.

I've also noticed that since I only have two horses on my property, someone thinks it would be better used as a driving range. I can look out my window and see the golf balls out there right now. I pick them up every week.

I think the phrase that the locals would use is, "Bless their hearts." I have a few others that express my true feelings rather than hiding behind the old Southern Baptist facade.
This is an example of why NOT to buy outside of developments where one does have a bit of control over the neighbors. 10 acres sounds great, though. Maybe you can move that house to the MIDDLE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville