Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Do not fret! Litton's has the dry-pack scallops, as does Shrimp Dock. Those are hard to get anywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 06:32 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
We have been to Carino's in Sevierville a few times. Waiters have always been great. Food is always delicious. Portions are much bigger than at Olive Garden. One time, they brought us out the wrong meals, and I started eating cause I couldn't tell the difference. Then the right food came and I said "what should I do??" (both meals were very similar) and I got the wrong dish for free, along with the correct dish. Awesome lasagna - very original. Seriously, the waiters are SO nice and patient.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:05 PM

48 posts, read 133,003 times
Carrabbas is good. Yes, it is a 'Chain' but I love their Polla Rosa Marie. Carinos was good, but i agree the quality was not what I was use to back in Texas. When we first moved her we went to Italina Market and it was horrible. The food was not good at all, I like to cook and when I make better Italian food than what I go out for then why go out?

I miss my Texas Steakhouses (Saltgrass) but Calhoun's is very good...love their pretzels and cheese.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:26 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
I first started going to Johnny Carino's in San Antonio and it was sooooo good there. Also, I miss Saltgrass from there as well! Texas Roadhouse does a fair job as a substitute but we mostly fix our steaks at home. My DH misses Pappadeux's and there really isn't anything here like that. We do a lot of cooking at home here. Buddy's BBQ potato salad is like Bill Miller's and their brisket is good. County Line was our fav BBQ joint in SA and Famous Dave's is most like it. We make our own breakfast taco's as we miss Taco Cabana for those. Love talking food.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:45 PM

48 posts, read 133,003 times
ahh...yes, Bill Millers! I realized that the BBQ is a lot sweeter up here...not a fan but it is ok. Taco Cabana...yum! I can never go to Taco Bell again, although Casa Don Gallo is really good! I agree about just fixing our own steaks at home, cannot sub for Saltgrass.

although, we never were a breakfast taco people.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:13 AM

2 posts, read 6,404 times
The reason Carino's shut down is because after Johnny Carino's went to Carino's (going from franchised to corporate run) the GM left. The entire wait staff left along with her. So then a whole new staff had to come in and try to fix the restaurant that the old GM left in shambles. There was too much to teach the staff, not enough time. There was a lot of customer abuse because of this. Sales went down, but then when our new GM came in and the staff got trained we were doing really well. Sales were slowly going back up... But then the landlord offered corporate out of their lease so they took it. Why I don't know because the building is still not leased. But that is the story. The managers found out Feb. 17th at night, I was on my way to work that morning when my boss called me to say it shut down. We got a weeks worth of pay, (based on the base salary of 2.15 for a server) and only the managers were found other jobs. Unfortunately for the rest of us, it was a bad time of year to lose a job...

so thats the story.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:25 AM

811 posts, read 2,009,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjen86 View Post
The reason Carino's shut down is because after Johnny Carino's went to Carino's (going from franchised to corporate run) the GM left. The entire wait staff left along with her. So then a whole new staff had to come in and try to fix the restaurant that the old GM left in shambles. There was too much to teach the staff, not enough time. There was a lot of customer abuse because of this. Sales went down, but then when our new GM came in and the staff got trained we were doing really well. Sales were slowly going back up... But then the landlord offered corporate out of their lease so they took it. Why I don't know because the building is still not leased. But that is the story. The managers found out Feb. 17th at night, I was on my way to work that morning when my boss called me to say it shut down. We got a weeks worth of pay, (based on the base salary of 2.15 for a server) and only the managers were found other jobs. Unfortunately for the rest of us, it was a bad time of year to lose a job...

so thats the story.
That is a crappy way to lose a job no matter what! I am sorry that happened to you!

This all happened before we moved here, but I must say that Carrino's in PF is one of Hubby's favorites...so I hope it doesn't go anywhere.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:50 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticfire0213 View Post
That is a crappy way to lose a job no matter what! I am sorry that happened to you!

This all happened before we moved here, but I must say that Carrino's in PF is one of Hubby's favorites...so I hope it doesn't go anywhere.
I've been to the one in Pigeon Forge and it was wonderful. I enjoyed it so much that I e-mailed the company! They wrote a very nice return note.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:29 AM

340 posts, read 1,188,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've been to the one in Pigeon Forge and it was wonderful. I enjoyed it so much that I e-mailed the company! They wrote a very nice return note.
We tried it too, and really enjoyed it.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:05 AM

2 posts, read 6,404 times
yeah, the pf one is nice. I worked there before I transfered to the Knoxville store. Both of them really were great, it was a shame what happened to the Knoxville store. I think what hurt us the most was being right next to Wasabi's, people always parked in the Carino's parking lot and walked down to Wasabi's. So it looked like we were slammed when really there were like 2 tables in the whole house. Either way I hope people do check out the PF store, the bowtie festival and the Chicken Romano are both really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville