Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 11:47 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbye L.A. View Post
I think the real question is "why have I been abbreviating Tellico Village as "TC". I have no idea.
Note to self: proof read.
V and C are adjacent on the keyboard, probably just a typo. I always seem to transpose letters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:38 PM

5 posts, read 10,339 times
Default Rarity Bay is Thriving despite all the bad comments here!

The bathrooms are finished now, no showers as Rarity is not near as large as Tellico Village, you are literally 2 minutes from home and WHO wouldn't rather shower in their own shower?

Well, I would like to take a shower before I get in my car all sweaty. I don't need my car smelling like a locker room.
NOT ME, I AM NOT IN TO PUBLIC BATHROOMS AND ACTUALLY ENJOY THE WALK, AS MOST RESIDENCES IN RB ARE WELL WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE TO THE CLUB AND WE ARE DOING THIS FOR EXERCISE RIGHT?[/b][/color][/color]

"Many homes have a mandatory requirement to belong to the Country club, and many do not.

This doesn't sound fair, why are some exempt? TV everyone pays the same, no one is special. I read somewhere that the 2nd owner has to pay $45,000 for the social club. Is that true?

UNTRUE AND NOT EVEN CLOSE AS IS USUALLY TRUE WITH MOST RUMORS. THE SECOND AND SUBSEQUENT OWNERS PAY $5,000.00 FOR THEIR INITIATION FEE. sOME RESIDENTS ARE EXEMPT BECAUSE IT WAS THE WAY THE COMMUNITY WAS SET UP IN THE BEGINNING AND THOSE WHO PURCHASED THEIR PROPERTIES UNDER THAT SET OF ccnr'S ARE BEING HONORED BY THE DECLARANT OR "GRANDFATHERED" IF YOU WILL. [/color][/color]

"You must spend 225 per Qtr ($75.00 per mo) in Food or Alcohol purchase IF you have a mandatory membership requirement. (Pretty easy to do especially if you drink alcohol!)"

Since a good friend of ours lost his wife and two young children due to a drunk driver, we haven't had a drink and then drive. Therefore drinks won't count. We just hate being told where you have to socialize or eat. So that is a problem for us.

WELL THEY DO COUNT FOR A VERY MANY OTHERS INCLUDING MYSELF. I ASSUME THAT MOST PEOPLE WHO ARE NOW LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO RETIRE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A RESTAURANT WHERE THEY COULD DRINK AND NOT HAVE TO DRIVE HOME OR AT LEAST ONLY LESS THAN A MILE...PERHAPS THAT IS SAFER THAN LOSING YOUR LIFE FROM A DRUNK DRIVER BY DRINKING OUTSIDE THE COMMUNITY AND THEN RISKING THE ROADS HOME? AND OF COURSE 225 IS FOR A COUPLE, IT IS 1/2 THAT IF YOU ARE SINGLE AND THAT WOULD ONLY BE A FEW MEALS A WEEK. YOU DO REALIZE WE ARE IN MONROE COUNTY TENNESSEE......NOT TO MANY RESTAURANTS TO CHOOSE FROM NEARBY!

Are you or were you a board member at Rarity Bay?
NO NOT NOW AND PROBABLY NOT EVER, SIMLPY A RESIDENT FROM 1998 TO DATE.

What do you know about the resident lawsuit that is in process? ENOUGH TO BE DANGEROUS, BUT NOT ENOUGH TO SAY I KNOW ENOUGH!

Thank you
Bob[/quote]

Old 10-25-2018, 09:46 AM

All of the restaurants over here in TV are open to the public, Bob. Come on over and try Thai Bistro, if you haven't already. They also have regular Chinese, and some American dishes too, if you don't care for Thai. It's on Richey Rd.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:28 AM

113 posts, read 161,168 times
Hi Lovethelakes,

Boy, I must have really hit a nerve with you, for you to shouting your reply at to me. Sorry if I offended you and you community by asking questions and replying to you.

In case you didn't know typing in all capital letters is considered shouting in post or texts.

Sorry to bother you,
Bob

Old 10-28-2018, 11:18 AM

Hi TheShadow,

We were just in Lenoir City, and were planning on eating at the Thai Bistro but they were closed for an hour and we hadn't eaten all day so we ate at Lorenzo's Mexican Grille. We tried something that we have never had before, chilli relleno, very tasty. We were going to stay for a couple of days and continue checking out the area but with the weather being cloudy/misty/rainy we decided to go home. We were hoping the colors would be changing by now and wanted to drive through the mountains on a sunny colorful day.

Next time we come through the area maybe we can get together.

Take Care,
Bob

Old 10-28-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsaw7854 View Post
Hi TheShadow,

We were just in Lenoir City, and were planning on eating at the Thai Bistro but they were closed for an hour and we hadn't eaten all day so we ate at Lorenzo's Mexican Grille. We tried something that we have never had before, chilli relleno, very tasty. We were going to stay for a couple of days and continue checking out the area but with the weather being cloudy/misty/rainy we decided to go home. We were hoping the colors would be changing by now and wanted to drive through the mountains on a sunny colorful day.

Next time we come through the area maybe we can get together.

Take Care,
Bob
We like Lorenzo's too. What it lacks in ambiance, it makes up for in taste and value. Great family has been running it for a long time. In Loudon and Lenoir City, Cinco Amigo's is also very good Mexican.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,583 times
Good morning all, I have just completed reading this whole thread and thank all of you for contributing to the education for those of us that are considering RB and TV. I visited twice in the last 2 months and am doing my due diligence. The things that I know for sure: TV has better amenities, RB is more beautiful, however I look at it, I am confused at which is the right choice.
Questions I have for RB residents:
1.On my last trip down, I was told by a realtor that the lawsuit has now been dropped because not enough residents wanted the financial burden of paying for it - is this true? If so, what does this mean for the future development of RB?
2. If the amenities are privately owned, how can they make membership mandatory to anyone? (I may be dumb - just don’t understand) It would seem that if it were voluntary, they would make them more appealing to encourage more people to join. Is this just a guaranteed income for the owner?
3. What is the risk of a huge special assessment for every homeowner if RB is not being run in a fiscally responsible way?
4. Are you seeing home values continue to decrease? TV is increasing an average of 11% per year. I do not want to lose my shirt if I have to sell.
All in all, if I could be sure I wouldn’t be landed with a huge special assessment in the years where I have the lowest income, I am drawn more to RB - I am just afraid that the current conflict of interest going on with the board may be setting everyone up for a huge fall. It is shameful that this has happened and I can see that many residents are loosing their nest eggs when they have to sell purely because of the greed of past and current owners. I need to understand the whole position, liabilities and risk involved. Is the risk the same for optional membership deeded homes as mandatory membership homes? I would dearly love to move to RB - am just afraid of the unknown and that in a nutshell is why homes are not selling as quickly as they do in TV.

As an afterthought; the internet question was never really fully answered. We live in Chicagoland, cut the cable and stream Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu for our entertainment. Are we going to have a problem doing that in RB?
Also, if you buy a house that does not require the social membership and you don’t want to pay $5000 to join, what don’t you have access to? Can you still join the clubs? Eat at the restaurant?

Thank you.

Last edited by Beretta; 12-08-2018 at 02:22 PM..

Old 12-08-2018, 08:56 PM

Hi Annreetz,

"All in all, if I could be sure I wouldn’t be landed with a huge special assessment in the years where I have the lowest income, I am drawn more to RB - I am just afraid that the current conflict of interest going on with the board may be setting everyone up for a huge fall. It is shameful that this has happened and I can see that many residents are loosing their nest eggs when they have to sell purely because of the greed of past and current owners. I need to understand the whole position, liabilities and risk involved."

I think you hit the nail on the head. The uncertainty with RB keeps people away in our opinion. I know our feeling is that we doesn't want anyone dictation (the Declarant) what have to pay without have a say in it.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:42 PM

68 posts, read 201,572 times
Annreetz,

Glad to hear that you are still interested in Rarity Bay.
Regarding your questions:
1. I am surprised that a realtor would claim that the residents’ lawsuit was, "dropped." I can tell you that the case has not been dismissed. If you want the most accurate information on this lawsuit, you should contact the Monroe County Chancery Court and request that the last filing(s) be emailed to you. The question of class certification was introduced by the Declarant. The Association's Board, unfortunately, decided to take the same position as the Declarant. Attempting to force class certification, or class-action, is a common delay tactic, but I cannot know for sure if that was the Declarant's motivation.
What the realtor did NOT tell you is that the Declarant has filed ANOTHER LAWSUIT; this one against an investor. The investor has, in-kind, filed a counter-complaint in defense of the allegations, but also raises some of the same issues found in the residents’ lawsuit.
SALEM POINTE CAPITAL, LLC v. BEP RARITY BAY, LLC, and BALD EAGLE VENTURES, LLC, Case #20430, was filed on September 4, 2018 in Monroe County Chancery Court. Their phone number is 423-442-2644, and there is no charge for your request. The resident's lawsuit case is #20053.
The Declarant/Amenities owner, SPC, filed a Notice of Lien in January, 2017, almost two years ago. Now it has filed this latest claim in an attempt to recover what it believes it is owed in back Club Dues and other charges of almost $1.5 million.
BEP is an investor in RB, owning 102 lots, and owns properties in other parts of the country.
2. Great question! When you purchase property, you are, essentially, agreeing to a lot of things, including to be a Club member, if it is required for the property. Those interested in RB have a choice, and that choice is to live in RB or live somewhere else. The sale of the lot is dependent upon your agreeing to their requirements. If you can find a home/lot that does not require a social membership, you won’t have to be responsible to the Club.
The suggestion that the membership be one of a voluntary nature has been suggested, ad nauseam. I take comfort in knowing that the Declarant has just enough smarts to realize the Club would be doomed if it had to compete as a real business. There are too many hard feelings and too many people that would leave the Club if given the opportunity. For some it is just the financial obligations.
3. I am not concerned with an unreasonable Association assessment. The cap on yearly assessments for the HOA is 5%. We are told that the financials remain stable, as far as the Association is concerned. The Club is raising dues for, 1) the Mandatory Social Membership and, 2) the Golf membership by approximately 4%, each, in 2019. Quoting the Declarant, “Social Membership dues will be capped at no greater than a 5% increase per year, unless the Consumer Price Index (CPI) increases by greater than 5%. In this case, the dues increase would be no greater than the CPI increase.”
4. As to your ultimate decision, you could be happy in either community. Based on your comment, Rarity Bay only gets the checkmark for being more beautiful. For me, that would not be enough to choose Rarity Bay. There is a lot of beauty in the area that does not require long drives. I currently do not recommend RB to my friends because of the very thing we are all concerned about – the unknown. If someone has so much money that future Dues and other rising expenses are not of any concern, they really have nothing to worry about, unless they are also interested in a positive return on their investment. My anecdotal opinion is that homes are still selling way below my perceived value. I take some comfort in knowing I will probably not be around if and when the house is sold. I would rather it not be sold so it can stay in the family for as long as it is useful. Once you remove your concern of your house as an investment, whether in TV or RB, the decision may come a little easier.
I do not have the knowledge to answer your question regarding cable tv and the possible options or alternatives.
The Club now treats residents, who are not Club members as, “the public.” You would not be allowed to dine at the Club after 3pm, unless you are on a double-date with Club members. This is one factor that contributes to the rise in Club dues, so not much consideration for its own members. You would not be able to use any of the amenities, as far as I know. I am not involved with the Club so I hope someone else will correct, or add to, my comment.

Good luck, Ann

Old 12-31-2018, 04:33 PM

68 posts, read 201,572 times
Default Update on Lawsuit: Declarant v Investor

It's hard to keep up with all the legal action encompassing the Rarity Bay Community.

The lawsuit initiated by the Declarant, SPC, LLC, to seek monies it believes it is owed by a property investor, BEP, LLC, has been moved to Federal Court.

SALEM POINTE CAPITAL, LLC v. BEP RARITY BAY, LLC, and BALD EAGLE VENTURES, LLC, Case No.(s) 3:18-CV-00443 and No. 3:18-CV-00444, have been moved to Federal Court:

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT, EASTERN DISTRICT OF TENNESSEE AT KNOXVILLE

Last Order:

Civil Action No. 3:18-CV-443 and Civil Action No. 3:18-CV-444 are
CONSOLIDATED, with Civil Action No. 3:18-CV-443 designated as the lead case.

To review or download documents and keep up with all the action, you will need to obtain a Pacer.gov account.

https://www.pacer.gov/

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/knoxv...#ixzz5bIkXRu4b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville