Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:00 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times

Advertisements

I'm doing research on a possible relocation to TN. I'm curious what people in Knox pay on average for:
-electric bill
-heating in winter
-AC in summer

Initially I would be in a 1-2 bed apt or condo. And later when I buy smaller to mid sized home probably under 2,000 sf. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 03:01 PM

152 posts, read 332,788 times
I live in Knox County and have KUB for electric. My bill this past month was $235. We are 2 people living in a 3 bedroom house. That covers electric, heating/A/c and water. We are on a special plan here where we pay more or less the same all year. i was flabbergasted how low this was when we moved here 10 years ago from NY where my bill back then was $450. I hope this helps

Old 02-07-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofengland View Post
I live in Knox County and have KUB for electric. My bill this past month was $235. We are 2 people living in a 3 bedroom house. That covers electric, heating/A/c and water. We are on a special plan here where we pay more or less the same all year. i was flabbergasted how low this was when we moved here 10 years ago from NY where my bill back then was $450. I hope this helps
Thanks for the info. In WA State where I live I have a 1 bed apt rental and pay I'd say about $30/mo on average for electricity, $55/mo for water/sewer/garbage....so about $85/mo total (some apt buildings actually cover w/s/g mine doesn't) Don't need any AC in in summers Western WA State & electricity costs are extremely low due to all the hydro power from dams up in the Cascade Mnt range. My heat is electric.

So it looks my utility costs would be possibly significantly higher in TN than WA due to the need for AC in summer and possibly more heat in winter.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I have a 1,100 square foot apartment. Two people, with lights, computers running 24/7. My electric bill includes heating and A/C and runs anywhere from $60 to maybe $115. Water/sewer is paid by the complex.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:38 PM

By the way, our electricity costs are some of the lowest in the country thanks to the Tennessee Valley Authority. It's the only federally-owned utility in the country. It was part of the New Deal. Bear in mind that a big reason that it is cheap is because of coal-fired plants, but also hydro, nuclear power.

https://www.tva.gov/

We definitely run the A/C much more than folks up in WA and that is when I get the biggest bills. It depends on where you are in Washington, but we might run the heat more, too.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:43 AM

16,267 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Yeah I'd be interest to know how many places in the country have $30/month electric bills. That is crazy low.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 AM

191 posts, read 307,956 times
We're in Knox County so our services are provided by different utilities. We're in a 2400 sq ft single home. We have an electric heat pump and dual fuel range.

These are the bills I just paid -

water $41.50
electric $211.68 ($141 for July)
gas $38
garbage $126 for 3 months (there are less expensive options)

County residents also have to pay for fire protection.

We can have really cold winters and really hot dry summers, or milder winters such as this year.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah I'd be interest to know how many places in the country have $30/month electric bills. That is crazy low.
WA is the lowest electricity of anywhere I have ever lived so far. I was shocked when I first started getting my bills when I moved up here. Definitely has to be one of the lowest in the U.S. And $30/mo is only because that is a 12 mos average as it's higher in the winter when I use a portable radiator heater most days. In summer my electric bill can be $18-$20/mo. If course this is a smaller 1 bed apt and no AC needed summer. WA State is a no state income tax too like TN which adds to cheap living costs (although WA is a "pure" no income tax state like FL, TX, WY, SD - they do not tax interest and dividend income like TN & NH do). But rents/house prices higher out here (and can be WAY higher closer to Seattle...Spokane WA much lower).

Sounds like with a smaller apartment in Knox I might be down near hiknapster's monthly utility costs.

Anyway I'm coming out to TN in about a week. Scouting a new place to live possibly. Going to Visit Nashville, Knox, Chatt, Tri Cities. Then I will fly to Richmond VA and check that out, as I'm looking at that town too. I did a post on the CD city vs. city forum comparing Knoxville TN vs. Richmond VA. Got some good responses, one from creeksitter.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:47 PM

Bear in mind that not all of Tennessee has those rates. As geranium mentioned, places out in the county - and beyond - can have higher rates. If you have KUB, your rates will be lower. I know someone out in Blaine that is paying at least three times what I pay.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:26 AM

I read that TN taxes groceries too? WA State has a similar sales tax as TN but does not tax groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: