Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:11 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times

Advertisements

I think a transplant would feel very comfortable in the Lakemoor hills area off Alcoa Highway. Nice homes with huge lots. If you come during dogwood season you will think you've died and gone to heaven. It's that beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 07:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
South Knoxville is not, generally speaking, seen as open to transplants. It is an old, rural type area that is very, very closed to outsiders for the most part. There is a new shopping center opening up out that way that they fancy to be a junior Turkey Creek so there are some new subdivisions opening up. It is an area of Knoxville where truly everyone seems to know everyone else. The schools aren't that great (one of my best gf's daughter goes to South Doyle just like my friend did 20 years ago and they love it) and the high school is on a state Watch List. This area judges wealth by how nice your pickup truck is and how many people attend your funeral. Personally, I love the area. But then again, my parents are from southwest Virginia and I am a country girl at heart.
Hmmm, sounds just like where we currently live, except throw in militia memebers in the mountains around us! Maybe we'd fit in perfectly since it's just like home without 40 below...

Old 03-08-2008, 07:38 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Hmmm, sounds just like where we currently live, except throw in militia memebers in the mountains around us! Maybe we'd fit in perfectly since it's just like home without 40 below...
Jim, it isn't for everyone but I love the area. We are considering moving out that way; something I would not have done when my kids were small and I was younger. I think you would like it.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:54 PM

11 posts, read 33,158 times
Can I trouble you for more specifics?

What's the story with North Knoxville? Good for transplants? for families? good schools?

Also, what about Holston Hills? I'm seeing a lot of great houses for sale online with the school zone listed as Sunnyview El, Chilhowee Intermediate, Carter Middle, andCarter High. Does anyone have experience with this area or with these schools?

Thanks again!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:43 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,791 times
Knoxgarden, the two areas in west Knox you mentioned are actually not annexed by the city, though it is coming soon. Tn bound gave some great info, however, about the livestock clause. I checked into this and it is also applicable to Knoxville. If the city annexes you and you already have animals, they can't make you get rid of them. Yesterday I discovered a small pen of pygmy goats(!) on Buckingham Rd near West Town! lol Not surprising, actually, as only 30-40 years ago many areas of Middlebrook were still farmland. It is just humorous to be in a traffic jam at rush hour in a fairly congested area and then see goats!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:18 PM

22 posts, read 52,587 times
Barking Spider.....
Is it true that the Clinch River is full of barking spiders? We love to fly fish, but barking spiders? I don't think so.
TNGayle

Old 03-11-2008, 06:56 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
You will not usually find barking spiders in the water. They are mostly found on and around trails in the mountains. I have also noticed that once one is found (or heard), others will start showing up.

You can sometimes hear them late at night if it's very quiet.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:27 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Talking How about llamas?

Kitties of Dominion, that would be worth the ride through the traffic just to see the goats!!

In a small town in MA where we lived for awhile, there were no farm animal laws within the town limits (about 15 sq. mi.).

We lived right off of Main Street and across Main was a 4 or 5 acre property where they kept a small herd of llamas and more chickens running loose than I could ever count!

It was the funniest sight to be driving past the drug store, then the post office, then the field of llamas!!

Now, to get back on topic!! How about those properties in West Knoxville?

Old 03-15-2008, 06:03 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I think a transplant would feel very comfortable in the Lakemoor hills area off Alcoa Highway. Nice homes with huge lots. If you come during dogwood season you will think you've died and gone to heaven. It's that beautiful.
Lakemoor Hills is beautiful. One couple bought and updated a home in there and were recently featured on HGTV's Home Across America tv show. Beautiful!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:20 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Holston Hills is also very beautiful. Lots of professors live out that way. There are a couple of great back roads between Holston Hills and downtown so even though it is farther out than Lakemoor hills the drive is less stressful.

There was a scare last year that the area might get zoned to a failing inner city high school but I guess it is an indication of the political clout that they remained zoned to Carter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville