Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:08 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,502 times

Advertisements

Tennesseeans are usually polite when they are around people they dislike, but sometime they will tell other people what they really thought of you behind your back.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:22 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Tennesseeans are usually polite when they are around people they dislike, but sometime they will tell other people what they really thought of you behind your back.
I don't think that is exclusive to this state or East Tennessee either, quite common human behavior in other areas as well.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:48 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
theres been some "comments" about it on a number of different sections of CD and on a couple of homesteading forums im on...
my dads also part of a motorcycle group and a few of the riders have mentioned it too...

but i think alot of it has to do with the attitude many northeners seem to have when they go down south...and its the same attitude they have here at home too...if its not exactly like they expect or want they get hissy about it...
ive talked with a few folks from tn who are happy to let me know they have a problem with SOME northeners because many move down to places like tn for a "quieter" way of life only to complain its nothign like home...

and i wholey understand why someone whould get furstrated if thats their experience with northeners...

as i said, i personally feel its incorrect and its nice to see something official about the friendliness.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I'm from New England, lived there for 33 years, and never heard anyone speak about Tennessee or Southerners that way. I lived awhile in Florida and didn't hear anything like that there, either. In fact, we told a lot of people where we were moving to and only received positive responses back.

I moved to Tennessee expecting friendly, polite Southerners and I have almost always encountered that. If anything, The South is known for its Southern hospitality and not negative, unfriendly people.

I agree Weisgarber. Everywhere there are two-faced hypocrites.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:20 AM

see i want to move to the area expecting...People...

im expecting them to be humans, some incredibly nice, some incredibly not nice and many others to fall inbetween just as is human nature...

but i am looking forward to learning what southern hospitality REALY means for myself...
hiknapster, im glad you didnt have to deal with negatvie nellies before your move

it truly does sound like a place filled with alot of wonderfull people.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:03 AM

745 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

im expecting them to be humans, some incredibly nice,
some incredibly not nice
Not sure what you are used to in the politeness or friendliness category, but I think you will find vastly greater numbers of the nicer people here than the latter group you mention.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:26 AM

375 posts, read 912,703 times
I have never lived in TN, but everyone I have met there - even in the fast food restaurants- has been super super nice - to the extent that my son and I were like 'What's up with that? They are SOO nice.' It was very refreshing compared to where we have lived in the past.

I think sometimes ppl move to an area and expect ppl to be a certain way, then wonder why they are only 'getting back' what they expect. If you move to a slower town, it WILL be slower. Be prepared. If you come across as pushy or more aggressive, people will react to that as well. Perhaps try to join a meetup group w/others who share your similar interests?

I live somewhere that I'm not really wild about, but have realized that truly, happiness comes from within. There will always be rude, crappy people who talk about you behind your back or are straight out rude to you - whether you are in FL or TN. Try to put it all in perspective and remember why you moved there in the first place. If you still don't like it, then look around at other areas to live - there are lots of cool places, maybe you just haven't found the right fit for who you are as a person. Do a personal inventory and figure out exactly what it is you are looking for - maybe it's not the ppl that are getting under your skin, but maybe there is something else you don't like about the area but can't pinpoint. Take your time so you don't jump into the fire from the pot and end up somewhere you're not happy about again.

That all being said, I am considering moving to TN from where I am, but I am going to try to make the best of where I am until I have decided whether or not to move. Good luck !

Old 11-27-2010, 08:38 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
theres been some "comments" about it on a number of different sections of CD and on a couple of homesteading forums im on...
my dads also part of a motorcycle group and a few of the riders have mentioned it too...

but i think alot of it has to do with the attitude many northeners seem to have when they go down south...and its the same attitude they have here at home too...if its not exactly like they expect or want they get hissy about it...
ive talked with a few folks from tn who are happy to let me know they have a problem with SOME northeners because many move down to places like tn for a "quieter" way of life only to complain its nothign like home...

and i wholey understand why someone whould get furstrated if thats their experience with northeners...

as i said, i personally feel its incorrect and its nice to see something official about the friendliness.

Aha! Now I know why your username is so familiar! I'm on one of those forums too- same username as here, minus the 'h' at the end

Old 11-27-2010, 09:31 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Aha! Now I know why your username is so familiar! I'm on one of those forums too- same username as here, minus the 'h' at the end
People are complaining about Tennesseans on there?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:53 AM

hiknapster, the one RRR and i are both on has been incredibly friendly, infact the 2 majore ones i frequent are both great, its the smaller ones like im on a yahoo group for ct homesteaders and theres been some people on there who have had negative experiences with tennesseans on there.

but as ive said, ive noticed on a whole their experiences are no suprise considering the attitude the take with them to an area, one woman was relocating to the kingsport area i belive due to her husbands work, before the move she was complaining about how while shed never been to tennessee that all the people were "back wood hicks" "inbred moonshiners" ect.
they ended up moving down there anyway and 6 months later they were back, shed made him quit the job and come back to connecticut because everyone was "so mean"...

as i said, its all about the attitude you take with you...go to a place looking for horrible people, youll find them lol.

another guy (an ex fairfeild cop) tells people that they should always have a gun on them when in the "southern states" (which to him im pretty sure means anythign south of connecticut *rolls eyes*)
at first i assumed, given its a homestead group he meant because of the wildlife, bears, wolves ect...
but when he started mentioning never go into the woods alone because next thing you know youll be "hearing the banjos" i knew exactly what he meant...

its no wonder these people have such bad experiences with southeners with attitudes like that.

ramblinrose, thank you...its been driving me absolutly crazy as to where i knew your name from...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville