Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 AM

66 posts, read 152,991 times

Advertisements

I'm pondering a permanent move to Eastern TN. Actually, I've pretty much decided that's where I want to move, no matter what. The only remaining detail is "where in East TN?". There are small towns, medium sized towns, burgs, villes and the occasional place that considers itself a real city. I'm just not sure where to start my search.

I'm not worried about banks, because I'll be paying cash up front for whatever house I decide on. I'm not worried about convenient access to shops because I have trouble getting out and about, thus spend the majority of my shopping time online. Grocery delivery service would be nice, though. I refuse to live in a war zone, mostly because I just cannot get along with crack heads and meth dealers. Read as: "I don't like having my house or car broken into and they don't like being shot at." Basically what I'm looking for is a 3+ bdrm house with 2+ baths and a nice basement or spare room that's large enough to turn into a personal library. An attached garage would be a GREAT bonus, but I've noticed that in some areas it's something people seem to have overlooked when building their houses. I wouldn't mind building a garage behind the house, but that would require a large enough yard to support such a structure and yard access to vehicles (so I could pour a driveway). Air quality doesn't really concern me - I've lived in some places with HORRID air before, and survived without really noticing it. Schools do, despite not having any children of my own. I don't want to deal with uneducated nubs on those rare occasions when I do manage to get out and about.

I really, truly want a place that has a nice view of ... something. Rolling hills, trees, mountains, water, whatever. Just don't include 'local slum' or 'big ugly water tower' in that list. I'd give up the view if I could buy a house on a cul de sac in a nice subdivision somewhere, though (as long as there's no HOA - I'll be damned if I'll let someone tell me that I can't landscape my yard however I please).

So where are some good towns to look where I might find attached garages and bonus rooms (or finished basements) with high speed internet access and a minimum of crack/meth dealers? I don't mind hauling trash to the dump once a week, and I don't mind having to drive 20 miles to actually do some real in-person shopping. Does anyone have any suggestions for cities (or subdivisions) to look at, or local realtors to contact? I can search realtor.com or zillow all day long and still not find exactly what I'm looking for, mostly because they don't let you wave and talk to the neighbors as you're looking at the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
I suspect there are a lot of areas that will fit the bill. I do have a few questions, such as how much do you plan on spending, and about what size population are you looking for and are you use to? And I am guess that jobs are not a concern.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:22 AM

I haven't decided what I want to spend just yet, but I've been looking at houses in the 200k range. I've seen houses all over that third of TN with some wildly varied prices (some dirt cheap, but dirty looking - some far more expensive, but with property taxes that I'd never be able to afford).

I've lived in places ranging from populations of 3 million to 68 (not counting the peacocks or cows). My personal preference is anywhere between 50,000 and 200,000. Though smaller cities are fine if they're within a day-trip's distance of something that size.

And you would be right about jobs not being a concern.

I suppose one of the things I'll have to do at some point is drive down to that area, meet with a realtor (arrange it all in advance, of course) and have them show me a half-ton of houses for a week so I can pick one and put a reasonable offer down on it. Only a half-ton, though. Too much walking around and I'll be spending the bulk of my time flat on my back in the hotel room and cursing the ceiling.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:34 AM

With jobs not being a concern, you could really have your pick of places to live. The $200,000 price is doable for around here and our property taxes are very low. In fact, Tennessee is 44th in the country for tax burden so that means the state doesn't nickle and dime its citizens to death. However, our services are excellent. You really get a great bang for your buck around here.

I'm a transplant, too, and have lived here for five years. Moving to Knoxville was the best decision we ever made.

You'll have to come visit but not overdo it.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:52 AM

I've seen residents complain about the sales tax, but since TN doesn't have income tax that makes sense. Reducing or removing income taxes in favor of higher sales taxes encourages people to save their money and only make the purchases they really need or want, instead of encouraging frivolous spending. I decided on TN because of the lack of income taxes, the low property tax rates, the low cost of putting vehicles on the road every year, the low cost of housing, the great landscapes, incredible weather and a number of other factors (I'm physically incapable of shoveling the great mounds of snow I currently see in Ohio, so moving south is a great boon to me).

What I really want is a place I can call my own, do some nice landscaping around it, fix it up really nice inside, and maybe tinker with the occasional muscle car (or ancient roadster) in the garage. Maybe sell the finished products at a car show/auction or something whenever I get around to finishing them. Or just sit on the porch/patio and enjoy a nice day. Failing all else, I can always collapse on an overstuffed sofa and rot my brain with some mindless television for a day or so. But the goal is to be able to tinker on my own ground and terms, and at my own speed (be it with a car, the landscaping, drywall, whatever).

Old 09-14-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrael View Post
I've seen residents complain about the sales tax, but since TN doesn't have income tax that makes sense. Reducing or removing income taxes in favor of higher sales taxes encourages people to save their money and only make the purchases they really need or want, instead of encouraging frivolous spending. I decided on TN because of the lack of income taxes, the low property tax rates, the low cost of putting vehicles on the road every year, the low cost of housing, the great landscapes, incredible weather and a number of other factors (I'm physically incapable of shoveling the great mounds of snow I currently see in Ohio, so moving south is a great boon to me).

What I really want is a place I can call my own, do some nice landscaping around it, fix it up really nice inside, and maybe tinker with the occasional muscle car (or ancient roadster) in the garage. Maybe sell the finished products at a car show/auction or something whenever I get around to finishing them. Or just sit on the porch/patio and enjoy a nice day. Failing all else, I can always collapse on an overstuffed sofa and rot my brain with some mindless television for a day or so. But the goal is to be able to tinker on my own ground and terms, and at my own speed (be it with a car, the landscaping, drywall, whatever).
These are the same reasons that I chose this area except I also moved here because of the quality of schools, the atmosphere for raising a child and the friendly people.

You'll fit in regarding the muscle cars. My husband is an auto mechanic and there are a lot of shows around here and also in the Pigeon Forge area.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:30 PM

I think I'm going to concentrate my search on the outskirts of Knoxville, for now. I was messing about looking at houses in the area and stumbled across one that would be perfect for my needs. The kitchen and baths would need a bit of retrofitting to accommodate me, but it's nothing I couldn't budget for given that the price was only $150k.

Hopefully I can get the finances (read as: settlement in the claim against the party who injured me) sorted out soon so I don't miss out on the listing (or others like it).

Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 PM

345 posts, read 922,502 times
One of the things that shocked me about Sevier County was the taxes. We looked at a $100,000 manufactured home in Seymour, not in Seymour proper but way on the outskirts, and the taxes were less than $500. For the YEAR.
I'm from Ohio. We were paying $600 a quarter on a $105,000 house!!!!!

As far as taxes, who here can complain??? No city tax, no county tax. To me, that's a huge benefit.
I can deal with 9.5% sales tax.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 PM

In Ohio, $2000 a year isn't uncommon for property taxes (or far more, depending on where you live). That's one of the reasons I'm looking at TN. The biggest issues I can think of that would concern me would be crime (petty larceny, B&E, etc), the possibility of flooding, and/or a house or lot too small for my needs. I've lived in areas where the local teens (or adults) behaved like the Wild Bunch, and I've seen some disastrous flooding (Ohio Valley, 93). Mostly I just want enough land to do 'my thing', though, and a house large enough so I can invite my mom and stepdad down for vacations and whatnot. They've vacationed in the Knoxville and Gatlinburg areas before and loved it. I'd like to be able to extend them an open invitation and keep a guest room ready at all times.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:01 PM

Property tax around here is low and we get a great bang for our buck. Out in the country, the crime is extremely low. Most people are very nice. Fortunately, due to the Great Depression, FDR's make-work projects centered on the Tennessee Valley where numerous dams were built. Not only does it protect us from flooding but it created The Tennessee Valley Authority which affords us very low electrical rates. Unlike Nashville, or even places like Cookeville, we don't get flooding like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville