Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:59 PM

3 posts, read 8,446 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are young professionals looking to move to the Knoxville area. We are seeking a community of individuals who may be into sustainable living, are open minded, educated (real world/experience and/or school), have well thought out view points, are into neighbors helping neighbors/community building, etc.

He's into metal working, jewelry making, gardening, tinkering with welding, construction, (hobby) farming. I'm into teaching, students with special needs, animals of all kinds, gardening, horseback riding, etc.

I have family in West Knoxville. I want to avoid racist areas, or places where religion is shoved down your throat at every turn. We want to feel comfortable in our beliefs. I know that this is possible whereever you live, but I also know it is easier in some areas more than others.

Does anyone have ideas about where a couple like us could find a house on some acreage 1 - 4 acres or so... We are just starting out so our funds are limited... I know there are jewels in the rough in Knox county and surrounding areas and we're seeking something like that. We can work hard to clean up land, we can remodel a home (we live in a 1950's log cabin right now and heat with a wood stove, have no sink in the kitchen and it's about 600 square feet). Really, we can rough it.... but we eventually want a family and room to grow into.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 04:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Sounds incredibly great!

People with your interests would be in the 37917 zip code, which is the city. However, I don't think there is much acreage. JMT might know. He's a regular on here.

Personally, I'm trying to make my way down there. I live up on the edge of north Knox County and Anderson County. I'm very disheartened by the rural areas of Tennessee.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:19 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

I'm very disheartened by the rural areas of Tennessee.
That is a pretty broad brush you are using, unjustifiably, imho.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
I wrote that I am personally disheartened. How is that a broad brush?

I guess you think I only deal with my neighborhood. Wrong. I deal with people in rural Tennessee all day long, five days a week.

I am disheartened.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:59 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Tennesse Bound View Post
My boyfriend and I are young professionals looking to move to the Knoxville area. We are seeking a community of individuals who may be into sustainable living, are open minded, educated (real world/experience and/or school), have well thought out view points, are into neighbors helping neighbors/community building, etc.

He's into metal working, jewelry making, gardening, tinkering with welding, construction, (hobby) farming. I'm into teaching, students with special needs, animals of all kinds, gardening, horseback riding, etc.

I have family in West Knoxville. I want to avoid racist areas, or places where religion is shoved down your throat at every turn. We want to feel comfortable in our beliefs. I know that this is possible whereever you live, but I also know it is easier in some areas more than others.

Does anyone have ideas about where a couple like us could find a house on some acreage 1 - 4 acres or so... We are just starting out so our funds are limited... I know there are jewels in the rough in Knox county and surrounding areas and we're seeking something like that. We can work hard to clean up land, we can remodel a home (we live in a 1950's log cabin right now and heat with a wood stove, have no sink in the kitchen and it's about 600 square feet). Really, we can rough it.... but we eventually want a family and room to grow into.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
I do not know of any such communities here. Anyone?

Old 03-06-2008, 06:07 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
Reality check....
House with 1 - 4 acres in Knoxville? Sure, there are some to be found.

It's the limited funds stipulation that is going to be a problem. I guess we would need a definition of "limited". If limited is $300k+, then you could probably find several places that may fit your needs.

As far as a "community" of like minded individuals all living on 1 - 4 acre parcels, I don't know of any around Knoxville. If you go 50 miles outside of Knoxville, you would have a better chance of finding acreage.

But in some areas, especially in counties north of Knoxville, you have a whole different mind set, and acceptance level.

Good luck with your quest

Old 03-06-2008, 07:47 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,375 times
Bearden for the mindset, but probably not the acreage and definitely not for cheap.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 AM

7,539 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Have you considered Asheville?

Sustainable Asheville: Home
TheGreenerHome - Sustainable Living Resource for Western North Carolina
Earthaven Ecovillage - Building a Sustainable Intentional Community

Old 03-07-2008, 10:58 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,331 times
Given the number of specifics you are looking for in an area, I doubt you will find a perfect fit. If there are some areas you are willing to adjust your expectations a little, you may find several areas, but I agree that Asheville would be much more likely to have what you are looking for.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:48 PM

74 posts, read 231,064 times
Isn't there a place like that somewhere near Chattanooga?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville