Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 8,211 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about relocating to Oak Ridge. We don't know a lot about the area. We are looking for good schools and a safe area to raise our children. Any information about it would be great (the good and the bad).
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 11:44 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,979,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgeorgiamom View Post
We are thinking about relocating to Oak Ridge. We don't know a lot about the area. We are looking for good schools and a safe area to raise our children. Any information about it would be great (the good and the bad).
Thanks!
You just posted in the Chattanooga forum that your husband's job is in Chattanooga. You do know that Oak Ridge is nowhere near Chattanooga, right?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-08-2017, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,211 times
My husband may be relocated to with Chattanooga or Knoxville. Just trying to get information on areas around both. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2017, 05:57 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Oak ridge is a nice town with a lot of restaurants and shopping. The only downside for someone working in Knoxville would be traffic. The route to Knoxville from oak ridge would take you through the worst traffic in the area. I 40 in west knox is a plain nightmare, the pellissippi is no picknick either. I am a country person though and I have been told by people who moved here from places like New York that our traffic is almost non existent. My point is that if your used to traffic you may be ok with that drive. I just don't have the patience for that kind of thing.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:15 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,308,011 times
I drive that way every morning. I have to do the turn around in Solway. At 730 its horrible and I may wait 2 - 3 minutes to make my turn. At 825, its less than a minute. That said, I never try to turn around in Solway after 230 in the afternoon. The traffic leaving Oak Ridge is non stop.
Depending on the time of the commute, the trip from Oak Ridge to KNoxville and back home in the evening, amy not be that bad. Pellissippi Parkway, for the most part, moves along fine.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
There aren't a lot of restaurants in Oak Ridge and even less shopping places. You could go down Pellissippi to Turkey Creek for shopping, though.

If you are used to places with average to a lot of traffic, Oak Ridge and West Knoxville aren't that bad. I mean, you can live in Powell, work in West Knoxville and have to get on 75 from 640 everyday, to go home, and have to wait as long, if not longer.

Too much inaccurate info was given.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:32 AM

191 posts, read 308,350 times
It would help to know why you singled out Oak Ridge. Are you hoping for a small town vibe close to Knoxville? Do you think it's more in your price range? Do you perceive it as safer than Knox?

Old 08-13-2017, 01:27 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There aren't a lot of restaurants in Oak Ridge and even less shopping places. You could go down Pellissippi to Turkey Creek for shopping, though.

If you are used to places with average to a lot of traffic, Oak Ridge and West Knoxville aren't that bad. I mean, you can live in Powell, work in West Knoxville and have to get on 75 from 640 everyday, to go home, and have to wait as long, if not longer.

Too much inaccurate info was given.
It's all a matter of perspective. I live in a rural area, I have lived in rural places my entire life so to me there is a lot of traffic in west Knoxville. To me there is a lot of good shopping and food in Oak Ridge. Is it turkey creek? No of course not. However in oak ridge there is a walmart, belk, multiple pet stores, tractor supply, and a new Dicks sporting goods. The old mall site is being redeveloped now. Everything I need is there but I will admit that I am not trendy or fashion conscious in any way. If the OP is more trendy and urban minded then your advice may pertain to them, but many people are satisfied with what is in oak ridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville