Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,248 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving from Denton, TX (120,000) to Maryville. Denton was a great place to live 20 to 30 years ago but now has become a drag with all the new growth (population and construction). We're looking for a place that is pretty, has friendly people, good churches, activities, and a slower pace. We are retirement age (just) and we want to live somewhere it would be easy to get to know folks and be involved in a local church. So, if you live in Mayville will you tell me about how good your quality of life is there? and why you love living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 05:31 AM

2,116 posts, read 6,779,646 times
There's some building/construction/improvements happening in Maryville but nowhere near the amount that's going on in Knoxville and Sevier County, so it's probably a good choice. Seems like the safest county (of the 3) to be in also, I don't even know where the "bad areas" are!

Old 05-13-2017, 12:16 PM

257 posts, read 486,159 times
Some of the reasons we decided to move to the Maryville area several years ago:

Low property taxes in Blount County outside the city.
Reasonable housing prices
Availability to do what we love - ride motorcycles, hike, camp, kayak.
UT is only 35 minutes away which adds culture, diversity, sports, and entertainment.
Weather - spring and fall are wonderful. Summers are humid but winters are mild.
People - very nice people in the area.
Blount County Library
We are within a day's drive to all 3 children and grandkids

Old 05-13-2017, 03:02 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,332,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnemj View Post
Some of the reasons we decided to move to the Maryville area several years ago:

Low property taxes in Blount County outside the city.
Reasonable housing prices
Availability to do what we love - ride motorcycles, hike, camp, kayak.
UT is only 35 minutes away which adds culture, diversity, sports, and entertainment.
Weather - spring and fall are wonderful. Summers are humid but winters are mild.
People - very nice people in the area.
Blount County Library
We are within a day's drive to all 3 children and grandkids
Nice list.

Safe.
Close to GSMNP.
Different types of culture available in which to immerse.
Live and let live mentality.
Good pet care.
Good retail.
Good services available such as carpenters, plumbers, etc that are reasonable.
Days drive to nice vacation destinations.
Easily get to Nashville for Southwest airlines. (ok, maybe this isn't Maryville centric, lol).
Maryville and Blount Country government work together for a good community feel and everyone wins.
There is a sense of pride in the community.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:35 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,909,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Nice list.

Safe.
Close to GSMNP.
Different types of culture available in which to immerse.
Live and let live mentality.
Good pet care.
Good retail.
Good services available such as carpenters, plumbers, etc that are reasonable.
Days drive to nice vacation destinations.
Easily get to Nashville for Southwest airlines. (ok, maybe this isn't Maryville centric, lol).
Maryville and Blount Country government work together for a good community feel and everyone wins.
There is a sense of pride in the community.
How is the more local Knoxville airport? (although SW doesn't have a presence there)

Old 05-13-2017, 11:17 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,332,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
How is the more local Knoxville airport? (although SW doesn't have a presence there)
McGhee Tyson is a great, smaller airport. Some people complain about the fares there. Recently they have had some airlines come in that offer lower priced fares. My son recently went to both Vegas and Florida recently very reasonably. Their direct flights are limited but they can get you to the hubs of the majors nicely.

Maryville is also served by Uber and Lyft so that is a plus.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:13 PM

257 posts, read 486,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
McGhee Tyson is a great, smaller airport. Some people complain about the fares there. Recently they have had some airlines come in that offer lower priced fares. My son recently went to both Vegas and Florida recently very reasonably. Their direct flights are limited but they can get you to the hubs of the majors nicely.

Maryville is also served by Uber and Lyft so that is a plus.
We are in Ireland right now. We bought tickets last Nov for $371 round trip out of Knoxville through Atlanta. We also used Uber for the first time to get to the airport - worked well. In June flying out of Nashville to Seattle. The price out of Knoxville was fine but with a long layover in each direction it was a 9 1/2 hour trip. We got direct flights on SW out of Nashville - 4.5 hours. The biggest downside to Tygee-Tyson is that unless you are going to a close major hub (Atlanta, Chicago, Charlotte, Ect) you can get long layovers.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:57 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,484,905 times
We are looking to possibly retire to the area in a few years. The list above is good but can anyone provide some insight as to medical care? While we are both reasonably healthy we know anything can happen. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 4,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
We are looking to possibly retire to the area in a few years. The list above is good but can anyone provide some insight as to medical care? While we are both reasonably healthy we know anything can happen. Any help is appreciated.
We're working with a real estate agent right now and Maryville has all the medical you could need and if not Knoxville has some excellent medical facilities as well. The difficulty at the moment is that very little housing comes on the market.

I recently did a cost analysis spreadsheet looking at cost of living etc. I looked at New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Colorado and Tennessee as possible retirement destinations. On a $75K annual retirement income Tennessee saves a lot of money. New Mexico is the most expensive state to live in. We will have almost $100K more spendable income over 15 years in Tennessee vs. New Mexico. Other states we have between $50K to 75K more spendable income. Now, I'm referring to cash above basic needs, which for us includes saving and entertainment money. So, these calculations exceed those considerations in the budget. Tennessee is definitely a good place to retire if you want your retirement money to go far.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Maryville has all the medical you could need? I beg to differ. There are far better hospitals in Knoxville.

Good retail? I don't agree with that. I was at the mall in Maryville during the tax-free weekend and it was dead. That may be fine for people that don't care for crowds, but the concern would be if that mall closes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville